Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warm coat.

• 21-12-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a warm coat, the warmer the better!!! I want something smart/funky and am open to suggestions. I want to avoid black/gray/white if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

A few details would help us make suggestions. Male or female? Location? Budget? Would you buy it online?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You can't go wrong with a parka, regardless of age, gender or size :p

Lovely heavy ones for women in Dunnes at the moment too for 25 quid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Female. Will be in Galway and Dublin over Christmas. Wouldn't want to spend over 100 or 150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Styleiser

Definitely give Dunnes a shoot - Savida have some really nice ones for around €60!

Styleiser wrote: »
    Definitely give Dunnes a shoot - Savida have some really nice ones for around €60!

I looked in Dunnes and they are quite light! I want something that is warm enough for frosty weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

Bump....

Warm jacket required for a male....based in Dublin and Belfast

Still not found a coat and it's so cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

mood wrote: »
    Still not found a coat and it's so cold!

ASOS have a few, what about this?
    http://imagecache.asos.com/inv/V/23/225/691996/Purple/image1l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

outdoor pursuits eglington street galway do nice ski jackets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Any ideas for a warm coat that comes up to just below the knee? (5 foot 6 in height)

I too want to avoid black/grey/white but will settle on black if nothing else can be found. I would prefer something with some wool. Coats I have looked at all seem so thin!

Any one else notice that womens jackets/coats never have an internal pocket? It is so frustrating. It is not always safe/practical to carry money/keys in a bag or external pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Any ideas for a warm coat that comes up to just below the knee? (5 foot 6 in height)

I too want to avoid black/grey/white but will settle on black if nothing else can be found. I would prefer something with some wool. Coats I have looked at all seem so thin!

Any one else notice that womens jackets/coats never have an internal pocket? It is so frustrating. It is not always safe/practical to carry money/keys in a bag or external pocket.
    tkmaxx have lots of ski- type jackets- would be great for this type of weather and i want one of them too - and they have inside pockets!

I want something very warm but would not be caught dead in a ski jacket unless I was skying/hill walking etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

mood, I got a lovely warm coat in Zara, double breasted funnel neck - it's just above the knee on me. 70% wool, in 4 or 5 colours (black/beige/navy and couple of greys) for €139 I think. Zara coats in general I find pretty good, certainly in the Woman section, check the wool % tho. Not sure what else they have in at the moment in non-standard colours. You can't go wrong with a red coat tho.

Sisley also do good warm coats, my more traditional coat is from there (single breasted v-neck) and it is pretty long, think that is 60% wool. Can't recall the price but was roughly 150 in the sale in Arnotts.

For the price you are willing to pay it can be difficult to get something decent in a 'proper' coat (e.g. nonfleece/skijacket), you definitely need a high wool percentage for warmth.

I think 100 - 150 is a good bit to pay considering sales are on. If I get a coat at half price that means the original price would have been 200 - 300.

However, I may be willing to pay more if I see exactly what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

mood wrote: »
    I think 100 - 150 is a good bit to pay considering sales are on. If I get a coat at half price that means the original price would have been 200 - 300.

However, I may be willing to pay more if I see exactly what I want.

This is theoretically true, but finding a decent coat in the sales at a decent price has proven nearly impossible for me over the years - either they're only cut by 20-30% or there are only enormous sizes left after day 1 of the sales. Perhaps try Gap also, they usually have okay coats and may potentially have such reductions. Or Kildare Village, you might get something in Reiss or LK Bennett.

Advertisement