Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW IFA PRESIDENT

• 21-12-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

I hear there is a new president elect
    What I want to know is who is going to peel the Brown Pin Stripe Suit of Padraig Walsh
    It seems to me that he never took it off
    It looked like a suit my Grandfather had in the 50's
    Mother may have given it to Barnardos or Oxfam
    Hope this new man has better dress sense and not so Hick on TV
    Sorry Padraig Im sure you did something positive though I really cant recall any positives during your tenure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Personally I think Walsh was the weakest leader we have had in some time.

Hope John Byran will put in more effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i think walsh did better than john dillon who in my opinion was just a muppet who did what he was told:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

I hear there is a new president elect
    What I want to know is who is going to peel the Brown Pin Stripe Suit of Padraig Walsh
    It seems to me that he never took it off
    It looked like a suit my Grandfather had in the 50's
    Mother may have given it to Barnardos or Oxfam
    Hope this new man has better dress sense and not so Hick on TV
    Sorry Padraig Im sure you did something positive though I really cant recall any positives during your tenure

Women eh:P Size up the cut of your man before really hearing what he has to say. Anyway, big wealthy farmers getting IFA presidency is the norm, and is no good in trying to drive policy for the handy size farmer or "farmerette":D.

May as well put your faith in your local "immaculately turned out" fianna fail, or fianna gael up and coming councillor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i was under the impression that padraig walsh was well regarded , i heard john bryan on radio this morning and my impression was that walsh was a better talker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Yeah, I got to agree. I always liked Padraig Walsh.
    He came across as a very decent and dignified guy.
    I think he did a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

Strangely the local IFA bods here regard John Dillon as one of the best presidents for getting things done , I dont know how effective he was in the day to day stuff but I used always cringe when I heard him giving interviews. Public speaking didnt seem to be his strong point. I thought that Padraig Walsh usually came across as a good "face" for the organisation and was a good speaker which helped with the public perception of the IFA.
    It will be interesting to see how the new man fares out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I think the last good IFA presedent we had was back in the 1960s he went to jail for farmers
    The next good one we will have is the one that will stop the decline in farm incomes we are having over the past 25 years and cares more about rural familys than his next high paid job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Strangely the local IFA bods here regard John Dillon as one of the best presidents for getting things done , I dont know how effective he was in the day to day stuff but I used always cringe when I heard him giving interviews. Public speaking didnt seem to be his strong point. I thought that Padraig Walsh usually came across as a good "face" for the organisation and was a good speaker which helped with the public perception of the IFA.
    It will be interesting to see how the new man fares out.

Dillon wasn't afraid to take on the Dept. and the factories, feck him I nearly got pneumonia from picketing Larry G's premises,

€28m promised to the sheep sector seems to have disappeared with no trace, the best Walsh done was get his picture in a couple of tabloids pushing trolleys in supermarkets.
    A*** licker to biffo when he got the reins,
    at the end of the day it is what's in the farmer's pocket matter not what the public think of the IFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

snowman707 wrote: »
    at the end of the day it is what's in the farmer's pocket matter not what the public think of the IFA

True, but who puts the money in the farmers pocket? For the years ahead if joe public the consumer has a positive impression of the Irish farming industry it can only be a good thing for the farmer and his bottom line.
    When there is any debate or issue in Irish agriculture who gets wheeled out to speak?.... usually the IFA president. For that reason I think he has a responsibility in cultivating a positive image and public perception of himself and the farming industry he represents, whoever he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Irish farming needs a strong voice with a cohesive strategic plan that will improve the lot of the ordinary farmer and their family putting them at least on par with the average industrial wage giving them a fair return for their inputs
    Too many leaders have been in the role for personal/profile gain
    The days of farmer influence have receded with the political influence now held by the unemployed/social welfare recipients ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Irish farming needs a strong voice with a cohesive strategic plan that will improve the lot of the ordinary farmer and their family putting them at least on par with the average industrial wage giving them a fair return for their inputs
    Too many leaders have been in the role for personal/profile gain
    The days of farmer influence have receded with the political influence now held by the unemployed/social welfare recipients ?

you forgot to mention the most politically powerfull vested interest of all , the public sector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Will Walsh now enter politics. He has not upset too many of them over the last few years, so I don't think any party would mind having him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

I agree Irish Bob but we have to be diplomatic
    we cant fall out with everyone
    theres so many employed in the public sector that some of them have to be shopping in the free state

Advertisement