Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time (w)Bankers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

PeakOutput wrote: »
    so you believe that the developers were getting loans illegally? forget about the politicians etc but the developers? you beleive there is a comma out of place on the what half a billion loan? that was taken out for the place on the southside(ringsend i think)

i dont believe that. i also dont believe you cant have one rule for the rich and one for the poor be it one that benefits the poor or not

If you are a company director, you are under a duty to comply with obligations under the Companies Acts. Given the state of certain property companies and banks, at best they were trading recklessly and in the worse case were acting illegally.

Individuals such as Joe Public are not under any such obligation. In fact, I'm waiting for the day when a bank is refused a repossession order on the basis they offered advice or guidance to a borrower that they understood to be false.

I'm not suggesting one law for the rich and other for the poor.

I'm suggesting THERE IS a different set of laws for company directors and ordinary members of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

gnxx wrote: »
    If you are a company director, you are under a duty to comply with obligations under the Companies Acts. Given the state of certain property companies and banks, at best they were trading recklessly and in the worse case were acting illegally.

Individuals such as Joe Public are not under any such obligation. In fact, I'm waiting for the day when a bank is refused a repossession order on the basis they offered advice or guidance to a borrower that they understood to be false.

I'm not suggesting one law for the rich and other for the poor.

I'm suggesting THERE IS a different set of laws for company directors and ordinary members of the public.

you said the developers should be sent to prison because they cant repay their loans

i am saying they more than likely havnt broken the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

stepbar wrote: »
    Unfortunatly the man had a legal watertight contract. Employment laws protect every man and woman in this country. Be it right or wrong the law prevails.

What "law", though ?

If I don't do the job I was hired to do, then I'll get fired; no payoff, no golden handshake, etc.

And rightly so, if I was to fvck up to the tune of billions!

Why isn't THAT the same with these scum ?:mad:

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What "law", though ?

If I don't do the job I was hired to do, then I'll get fired; no payoff, no golden handshake, etc.

And rightly so, if I was to fvck up to the tune of billions!

Why isn't THAT the same with these scum ?:mad:

it is the same with you and them

they know how to get a better contract than you its not rocket science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I wish Ireland could temporarily become China so we could execute c*nts like Sean Fitzpatrick and Pat Neary. Seriously.

• Advertisement

you said the developers should be sent to prison because they cant repay their loans

i am saying they more than likely havnt broken the law

Where did I say this?

oh sorry that was slideshowbob who my origial comment was aimed at

my bad if thats not what you think then i have no issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

im surprised no one noticed a connection between this weeks primetime on bankers and one last week on welfare fraud

from the bottom to the top of this society theres greed and corruption

a system where you are not punished, whether you scam 100K from welfare or 100 million from banking

moral of story so, is that all of this will happen again unless there are serious changes in attitude and enforcement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    im surprised no one noticed a connection between this weeks primetime on bankers and one last week on welfare fraud

a system where you are not punished, whether you scam 100K from welfare or 100 million from banking

moral of story so, is that all of this will happen again unless there are serious changes in attitude and enforcement

good point

I know.

Seeing all these shows is making me feel like a fool. Here I am trying my best to do the right thing - well educated, hard working, entrepreneurial, honest - when I could be sitting at home relaxing as I claim multiple doles using fake IDs and fraudulently taking out loans with no intention to ever pay them back.

No consequences and no repercussions makes me question my entire moral system and make me wonder if I'm being a complete sucker by being a decent citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

AARRRGH wrote: »
    No consequences and no repercussions makes me question my entire moral system and make me wonder if I'm being a complete sucker by being a decent citizen.

+1. earlier this year, both myself and my gf were made redundant (on the same day, as it happens), even now we're behaving morally, eg. she's not lying to social welfare to claim unmarried mothers allowance. its just so sickening to see scum like these acting like they are totally above the law when they've driven the country to the brink of collapse.

almost as sickening is the fact that it looks like nothing is really being done about it. If this was France there'd be a fooking massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Will anyone be made accountable? I do think not. Cronyism at it highest. But are the public more the fools for allowing these people away with it, we put them there we put the church on a pedestial not the politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

right assuming these golden handshake packages are contractual

are you suggesting the goverment dishonour on mass legally binding contracts?

they just cant do it

what they can do(and maybe i am naieve even after all this)and i beleive they will do is rescue the country then go after the guys who caused it

The gov have already dishonoured mass legally binding contracts. Ask the consultants, anyone linked to the towards 2016 pay deal (which affects all private and public sector workers). I just want to know why we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Fix the public finances and purge the banks. I agree with the cuts the gov made in the budget, but it has been 15 months since they became aware of the scandals in the banks and still no action.

And it seems like some of those on "legally binding" pension contratcts are dishonouring their "legally binding" interest repayments which now falls to us to pay. These people are laughing at us all!! And you know what? They're probably right given the Irish attitude hen it comes to something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭strathspey

Can I presume that since Anglo and was a Catholic Bank:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fitzpatrick-in-antiprotestant-tirade-1930816.html

and that Irish Nationwide was seen as the green bank, then Catholism and Nationalism could be the underlying problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

and this is why the need for a properly regulated market is so necessary, this is why the ineptitude of the financial regulator, central bank and dept of finance over the last 10 years has led to the corrosion of our economy,
    yes the bankers were out of order but why wasnt the regulator breathing down their necks at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why wouldn't a bank fast-track a loan for a politician?

They're not exactly low income, they're low risk as they can't afford to be seen having their name in Stubbs Gazette and even if they're not re-elected, their pension is higher than the average wage and they'll either be going back to a lucrative teaching job, their pub or some other cushy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sleepy wrote: »

They're not exactly low income, they're low risk as they can't afford to be seen having their name in Stubbs Gazette and even if they're not re-elected, their pension is higher than the average wage and they'll either be going back to a lucrative teaching job, their pub or some other cushy number.

er yeah I was thinking this

when i heard a brief commentary this morning I was of the opinion that there was some illegal activity or somehting that may result in a politican having to resign

I see nothing here that would do that...

doc_17 wrote: »
    The gov have already dishonoured mass legally binding contracts. Ask the consultants, anyone linked to the towards 2016 pay deal (which affects all private and public sector workers). I just want to know why we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Fix the public finances and purge the banks. I agree with the cuts the gov made in the budget, but it has been 15 months since they became aware of the scandals in the banks and still no action.

And it seems like some of those on "legally binding" pension contratcts are dishonouring their "legally binding" interest repayments which now falls to us to pay. These people are laughing at us all!! And you know what? They're probably right given the Irish attitude hen it comes to something like this.

I wonder if the banks were nationalised would the existing contracts need to be honoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Because ideally a bank might want to ensure that their practices are above suspicion. Pretty laughable idea, I know.
    Funnily enough, when the issue of TD salary is raised, they will readily claim that the remuneration is necessary as they are in a highly unstable position where they could be left unemployed at any moment if a snap election is called. I wonder how many other workers on a 5 year contract would get €1.6m loans without documentation ;)

Because ideally a bank might want to ensure that their practices are above suspicion. Pretty laughable idea, I know.

Funnily enough, when the issue of TD salary is raised, they will readily claim that the remuneration is necessary as they are in a highly unstable position where they could be left unemployed at any moment if a snap election is called. I wonder how many other workers on a 5 year contract would get €1.6m loans without documentation ;)

i agree with all that but isn't that the bank's problem?

I mean I could see how people may be upset with management relaxed approach to procedure but how is this an issue for the politicians?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Riskymove wrote: »
    I mean I could see how people may be upset with management relaxed approach to procedure but how is this an issue for the politicians?
    As the government-appointed watchdog, it's certainly an issue for the financial regulator.

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

If the politician was a friend of one of th senior people in the bank, he'd know about his high wage and other investments, so he would know the politician is low risk.

I got a sense the girl who was fired from Irish Nationwide simply wanted to bitch about her ex-employer, even if many of her allegations were quite weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

If the politician was a friend of one of th senior people in the bank, he'd know about his high wage and other investments, so he would know the politician is low risk.

I got a sense the girl who was fired from Irish Nationwide simply wanted to bitch about her ex-employer, even if many of her allegations were quite weak.

In the case of McCreevy, a 1.6 million euro loan was given to buy a house that was worth 1.5 million euro. The Irish Nationwide's guidelines did not allow it to grant 100% mortgages.

As the government-appointed watchdog, it's certainly an issue for the financial regulator.

1. the regulator is not a politician

2. on what basis? what was illegal?

I mean if the politican was getting favourable terms or being let off with not paying or something thats an issue (we saw some other stuff about overdrafts/loans before with CJH and Garret Fitzgerald) and I can understand that but in these cases?

deadhead13 wrote: »
    In the case of McCreevy, a 1.6 million euro loan was given to buy a house that was worth 1.5 million euro. The Irish Nationwide's guidelines did not allow it to grant 100% mortgages.

so the Bank or perhaps the Boss of the bank, broke their "guidelines"

1. is that illegal?

2. whats that got to do with McCreevey?

oh dear you dont even see the problems that destroyed our economy.
    Conflict of interest? You wonder why the Govt were so quick to bail out banks that will cost us and the next generation?

You cannot let the little things slide we have to get the little things right or it breeds like a disease and rots the entire system .

Unfortunately in Ireland it has led to institutionalised child rape and the destruction of our economy. This is about how we run our country and what we want it to become and what we have let it become.

SNAP OUT OF IT NO PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT FOR ANYONE :mad::mad::mad:

Your part of the problem if you let the little things slip

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Reading some of the posts in this thread 'its all coming out now' 'shocking' 'OMG' 'best primetime ever' etc.

Where do ye people live, in a hole?

This stuff has been reported to DEATH for the last year.

NOTHING NEW in it what so ever.

There's countless books out for the last 6 months talking about the same stuff. (I suggest you buy Shane Ross's The Bankers)

I thought the show was boring, heard / read it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

oh dear you dont even see the problems that destroyed our economy.
    Conflict of interest? You wonder why the Govt were so quick to bail out banks that will cost us and the next generation?

You cannot let the little things slide we have to get the little things right or it breeds like a disease and rots the entire system .

Unfortunately in Ireland it has led to institutionalised child rape and the destruction of our economy. This is about how we run our country and what we want it to become and what we have let it become.

SNAP OUT OF IT NO PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT FOR ANYONE :mad::mad::mad:

Your part of the problem if you let the little things slip

A damn good post sir. Ireland needs more people like you to steer it back to sanity. Otherwise history will end up repeating itself in this crooked country of ours and we'll be watching plenty more primetime reports on situations like this. I for one am sick of it. And yes we have all heard this before for the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

hinault wrote: »
    (Seanie)

And driving away in a Passat too!

I noticed that... how the mighty have fallen! :D

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    I noticed that... how the mighty have fallen! :D

he is a clever man and well aware of perception

perhaps it would be more educational to see how the rest of his families lifestyle has changed...

Advertisement