Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exemption

• 21-12-2009 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

This isn't really a serious thread I'm just curious now ;)

So I was just flicking through the UCD Prospectus and I saw it says "If you were born outside the Republic of Ireland, you do not require Irish as a subject for entry to UCD"

Now I was born outside Ireland because of where my parents were working at the time. But when I was ~3 months we came home to Ireland (They're Irish and I'm an Irish citizen) and I've done Irish all my school life.

So could I have got away with not doing it on some technicality?! Like I wouldn't bother stopping now, doing pass for the LC but I'm curious!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Conor108 wrote: »

So I was just flicking through the UCD Prospectus and I saw it says "If you were born outside the Republic of Ireland, you do not require Irish as a subject for entry to UCD"

Now I was born outside Ireland because of where my parents were working at the time. But when I was ~3 months we came home to Ireland (They're Irish and I'm an Irish citizen) and I've done Irish all my school life.

So could I have got away with not doing it on some technicality?! Like I wouldn't bother stopping now, doing pass for the LC but I'm curious!

If you fail, you will still get in.
    You can also use it as your 'third language', if your interested.(I have rang them about this to make sure)

Happy days!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Conor108 wrote: »

Yup your exempt. Why do it so? Saves the hastle of doing two exams and an oral:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

theowen wrote: »
    Yup your exempt. Why do it so? Saves the hastle of doing two exams and an oral:rolleyes:.

Some rule says you still must go to class if you came before the age of 11.

Stupid, isnt it?:rolleyes:

It is useful to get into the NUI's if your not doing a third language.
    I prefer it to German and Spanish:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rafalpilat0077

I was not born in ireland, and do not have an irish citizenship. I am prety sure that i will fail my JC and LC in irish. So, will i still be able to get into UCD for computer science? Also, if i fail the Junior cert in 1 subject (Irish), Will i be able to do my Leaving Cert in all other subjects?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was not born in ireland, and do not have an irish citizenship. I am prety sure that i will fail my JC and LC in irish. So, will i still be able to get into UCD for computer science? Also, if i fail the Junior cert in 1 subject (Irish), Will i be able to do my Leaving Cert in all other subjects?

Your exemption will be for NUI, not for school, so you may still be required to attend classes.
    They are two different exemptions.

Failing any subject at JC has no bearing on anything in the Leaving, unless your school has some arrangement of its own regarding who goes into what subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 rafalpilat0077

spurious wrote: »
    Your exemption will be for NUI, not for school, so you may still be required to attend classes.
    They are two different exemptions.

Failing any subject at JC has no bearing on anything in the Leaving, unless your school has some arrangement of its own regarding who goes into what subject.

Ok, so if i fail the irish JC, i wont have to stay back an extra year or anything, right? Also, if i have the NUI excemption, will i not have to sit the JC and/or LC exam?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ok, so if i fail the irish JC, i wont have to stay back an extra year or anything, right? Also, if i have the NUI excemption, will i not have to sit the JC and/or LC exam?

Nobody can force you to sit any exam. You definitely won't have to stay back a year if you fail JC Irish.
    If you have the NUI exemption, you won't need Irish for entry to NUI colleges.
    Unless you have the Department of Education exemption, you may still have to attend classes in your school.

Advertisement