Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organise appeals by county

Options
  • 21-12-2009 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

I had my meeting with the Super recently and although he didn't tell me straight out, it is apparent that he is going to decline my application for a centrefire pistol. I know for a fact that you would be as well off spending your money on magic beans as giving it to some small town solicitor to bring a District Court appeal on cases like these and unless Willie Egan has a sleigh and a time machine he won't be able to do them all so I have a suggestion;

We could start a dedicated thread and as people are declined they could post this fact (including the date of the decline) and their county of residence. When each individual brings their appeal they could seek an adjournment to a sitting date of the District court agreed with Willie Egan (your local solicitor could do this for a few quid) and Willie Egan might agree to travel to represent 8 or 10 appellants on the one date.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely it would be better to organise based on court districts or Garda divisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Chipboard wrote: »
    I had my meeting with the Super recently and although he didn't tell me straight out, it is apparent that he is going to decline my application for a centrefire pistol. I know for a fact that you would be as well off spending your money on magic beans as giving it to some small town solicitor to bring a District Court appeal on cases like these and unless Willie Egan has a sleigh and a time machine he won't be able to do them all so I have a suggestion;

We could start a dedicated thread and as people are declined they could post this fact (including the date of the decline) and their county of residence. When each individual brings their appeal they could seek an adjournment to a sitting date of the District court agreed with Willie Egan (your local solicitor could do this for a few quid) and Willie Egan might agree to travel to represent 8 or 10 appellants on the one date.

What do you think?
    there was a meeting with the top brass and the firearm panel , what i have heard is the supers are been told to licence centre fire pistols where the applicant has ALL the right boxes ticked . thats on a fairly good grape vine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

jwshooter wrote: »
    there was a meeting with the top brass and the firearm panel , what i have heard is the supers are been told to licence centre fire pistols where the applicant has ALL the right boxes ticked . thats on a fairly good grape vine.

Meaning?

murph226 wrote: »
    Meaning?

not a big job work that out.

do you want me the spell it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

yes please! spit it out man! lol

• Advertisement

this is 3th hand but form a good source.

the supers have been sent a memo, stating to licence pistols where the applicant and every thing in order .
    ie.
    a licenced pistol pre the cut off date , home security in order ,member of a pulse reg club etc.

also to grant mods to people that have note all ready for them and look at new ones with opened eyes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

JW you sound like that Bertie Ahern clip from 2006 that was on RTE1 tonight where he said he couldn't see anything wrong with the economy. Your statement also infers that anyone who has been refused didn't tick the right boxes. Its a bit of a statement to make and totally out of line with the reality of the situation on the ground. Now can we get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Thanks JW - but I'll believe that when I see it. Bit of a doubting ThomasINA in me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Why the sudden change of heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Might be worth my while trying for a moderator again :confused:

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere we can see information on these cloke and dagger meatings with those who are represention our sports and the relevant government bodies. It would be nice to have a main source of information from the firearm panel saying yes they will meet us on this or no they wont budge on that.

well most of the info im getting on this is not far off the mark.

bunny the meeting was yesterday so leave it till the new year .il find out more in the next few days .

i think they were told by there legal team there in breach of the act and it would not stand up in the courts .

Will that have any bearing on the result of the case Patrick Herlihy took?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

LB6 wrote: »
    Thanks JW - but I'll believe that when I see it. Bit of a doubting ThomasINA in me! :D

Best way to be..Until you have that bit of card in your paw saying you are entitled to a CF for another 3years.Belive it then!!
    Not saying that you are talking baloney here JW,its just we have had too good rumours,half truths and general rumours of Christmas in the Turkey farm type stories over the last 12/18 months that nothing is beliveable until cold hard evidence is produced to say to the contry.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Best way to be..Until you have that bit of card in your paw saying you are entitled to a CF for another 3years.Belive it then!!
    Not saying that you are talking baloney here JW,its just we have had too good rumours,half truths and general rumours of Christmas in the Turkey farm type stories over the last 12/18 months that nothing is beliveable until cold hard evidence is produced to say to the contry.

ya but not for me .

not a big job work that out.

do you want me the spell it out

Well JW if Pat Herlihy did'nt have all the right boxes ticked We're all F*cked!

lets just wait and see murf.

lets just wait and see murf.

I hope your right JW, just a bit frustrating hearing about a possible about turn now!
    I had to offload mine as I got it after the cut off date, luckily I was able to trade it in up North for a rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

sorry to say i don't believe a word of this , for a start the gardai weren't listening to there own firearms policy unit only a few weeks ago , i know this for a fact .
    the way i think ahern had this set up was to split pistol shooters in three , first the centrefire lads who had them pre nov 08 , the people who had centrefires after that date and then the issf .22 target shooters , he played one off the other and only had the intention to keep the .22's .
    if we get to keep them for another 3 years the chances are that there will be a fine gael minister for justice and that opens a whole other can of worms .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I also do not believe a word of this.

Chief Supers cannot be told what to do by the Commissioner, Minister or anyone else.

Mar ya.

Now - they are hoping for a go at the commissioner job themselves one day so they will row with the current - so there is room for the Minister and Commissioner to makethri wishes known - as I have no doubt they have done.

For the Minister or Commissioner to issue an edict of this nature is unlikely at best.
    What would have brought it about?
    Is one of the National Associations in communications with the Minister and Commissioner?
    More likely they are looking at the number of appeal lodged in the DC which must be substantial at this stage.

At the same time I would question your sources - I hope these are not the same sources that toured the land telling us all 'to keep your heads down lads and you'll keep what you have' because those sources were talking through their hole then and will be now.

I dunno were they just being led by the snout or were they making it up to try and curry favour.

What they taught me was to believe none of the rumour mill - it is all bollix - you hear something you would like to hear - doubt it - seek proof - you hear something you did not want to hear - doubt it and seek proof. There are no end of people will ing to tell people what they wnat to hear but when you dig into it they have been making it up all along.

Without proof it is rubbish.

On the other hand, if this is a reputable source and you have seen evidence of this claim - i.e. the memo - it would give me some hope.

I would recommned contacting your national association (NASRPC) to keep them abreast of what you have seen.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Unless Pat has a time machine he couldn't get the benefit of any decision made the day before yesterday :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if what jwshooter says is true. The Minister made assurances about current licence holders last November and the number of refusals is making a mockery of those assurances. I have no doubt that his intention at the time was (as he said) to put a halt to the growth of centre fire pistol ownership; and we've had many instances of people who got licences in the past without ticking any of the boxes the vast majority of us here have done.

Certainly people who have not met the standards under the new regime should not be accommodated, but people with a long track record of club attendance and a history of involvement in the shooting sports should not be treated in the appalling manner we have seen.

It's possibly not coincidental that the Minister's statement in the Dail last week about the number of licences issued, brought the problem to light and questions may well have been asked of the licensing authority as to what exactly is going on. Hundreds of cases in the district court would not be the most ideal way of demonstrating the sincerity of the Minister's assurances.

It's a given that we don't like what the Minister has done to our sports, but all his legislation has implemented exactly what he said he would do to the letter. There is nothing inconsistent between the legislation and his statement last November. Where the inconsistency lies is within the licensing system itself and there have been statements made either in refusal letters or in the district courts that purport to represent the Minister's aims when in fact they do not. There are even inconsistencies between the refusals and the Commissioner's guidelines which in itself may be problematic when taken in the context of a court case.

Obviously as others have said, we need to wait and see what (if anything) is the outcome of this information, but as we've been waiting some time already for clarity, that's no loss. In fact seeing as the vast majority of applications do not seem to have been dealt with yet: if there's any benefit to be gained from this, those people whose applications have yet to be adjudicated upon may well be the first to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

In Kerry my head Garda for the County told me he would not issue any restricted certs of any kind unless the applicant won an appeal through the courts, So I don't know, maybe others are being reasonable, but for sure most Chief Supers are choosing not to issue any restricted certs, they are all quoting the Charlton case. Thats from the horses mouth, All Limerk city and County, All Kerry, and most of Cork and I hear only a couple issued in Clare and Cork, and they are saying now they were issued in error!

From what I can make out it looks like over 90% of restricted firearms are not being renewed.

Frustrated target shooter in Kerry,

Not so happyjack:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

happyjack wrote: »
    In Kerry my head Garda for the County told me he would not issue any restricted certs of any kind unless the applicant won an appeal through the courts, So I don't know, maybe others are being reasonable, but for sure most Chief Supers are choosing not to issue any restricted certs, they are all quoting the Charlton case. Thats from the horses mouth, All Limerk city and County, All Kerry, and most of Cork and I hear only a couple issued in Clare and Cork, and they are saying now they were issued in error!

From what I can make out it looks like over 90% of restricted firearms are not being renewed.

Nope I know of one 9mm CF pistol licensed in Clare and it was not an error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Thats so true, I agree, I've seen and heard dozens of shooters here in Kerry being refused licenses for one gun unless they get a gun vault with 4 4"inch dead bolts, when I told the Gardai, (a few) that it was not a requirement according to the GC guidelines, I was told well it's law here! Believe what you see, not what you here, guns are being crushed the lenght of the country because thats what Supers want.

HJ:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Refusals based on the Charleton case may just as well be based on the Bible. It's about as relevant.

The only possible grounds that a licensing authority could have used from the Charleton case (the proliferation of short firearms) has been effectively neutered by the CJA(MP)A 2009 where the Minister took steps to deal with the proliferation 'problem' which happened since the Charleton judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

I got a grant letter this morning for a restricted .22 pistol (sig mosquito). I had application for 9mm and .357 refused. I contacted the Firearms Policy Unit this morning to enquire if there was any other avenue of mediation open to me other than a District Court appeal. I was told that the matter was between the Chief and myself, and that if the chief had refused the application after meeting me to discuss the matter, then its very unlightly that he would reconsider. I was told my only option was to take a District Court appeal and hope for the best:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nope I know of one 9mm CF pistol licensed in Clare and it was not an error.

Correct CJ - One in Shannon Town and the other in Killaloe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

knockon wrote: »
    Correct CJ - One in Shannon Town and the other in Killaloe area.

I believe that you have been in touch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

happyjack wrote: »

i think what he has done there is completely illegal as every application should be judged on its own merits under the law , a publically announced "ban" by him in his area should get him suspended or sacked , but then again this is ireland and no public figure is ever held accountable for their actions .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I got a grant letter this morning for a restricted .22 pistol (sig mosquito). I had application for 9mm and .357 refused. I contacted the Firearms Policy Unit this morning to enquire if there was any other avenue of mediation open to me other than a District Court appeal. I was told that the matter was between the Chief and myself, and that if the chief had refused the application after meeting me to discuss the matter, then its very unlightly that he would reconsider. I was told my only option was to take a District Court appeal and hope for the best:mad:

Seems the FPU have no "teeth" now either :rolleyes:

I got same answer on my moderator refusal :(

That was the only thing of any use to come from the FCP. Now it seems more than ever that was a complete waste of time

Advertisement