Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Options
  • 22-12-2009 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

So Im wondering how peoples lives have changed since they have stopped drinking. Forgetting the obvious ones like no more hang overs and no more dodgy numbers in your phone book how has your life changed in different areas?

How have your relationships changed with friends or romance wise ?
    Have your interests or hobbies changed?what do you spend your time doing?
    How do you feel when you look back at the old you? are you happier?more confident?
    Or any other noticeable differences in your life?

Ive only recently stopped about 2 months ago so Im just looking for some inspiration over the Christmas period so I can get over the hump! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Since I stopped drinking people seem to have got better behaved!!

What I mean by that is none of the dodgy situations happen anymore which I used to blame everyone else for;)

I'm happier, more confident and I respect myself and would go so far as to say that I love myself.

I'm not longer trying to be liked or to fit in and know myself better. I don't take a criticsism and then think I'm a horrible person because someone else says so. I can see who and what is good for me and bad for me and eliminate whats bad for me instead of sticking with it thinking I'm the problem. Sometimes i AM the problem but thats ok, it can be worked on.

Have wonderful friends ( and I did before) but I'm ten times the amount now. People like me better. My family is much happier and I can tell people I love them i.e my parents.

Have a great relationship with my son and spend loads of quality time with him and have lots of brainspace that I didn't have before.

I've got involved with musical societies which I never thought I would but its opened up a whole new word for me.

I feel good every day I wake up and excited about the future that I now have..

No romance as of yet but sure why not in the future? Am not a total lunatic anymore so every chance I can have a relationship now and as I'm healthier I'm going to be attracting healthier people instead of people as mad as me. And if i don't meet anyone then I'll still be ok because I'm ok right now and I'm on my own.

Don't have to drink this Christmas and won't have anything to be ashamed of.

When I look back at the old me I really don't indentify with her at all. Now am not perfect and still have some of the ways I'd like to get rid of but I definately will. But I just feel like a regular person now and not off my head. Loads and loads of regrets about the past but feck all I can do about it so learning to live with it and just doing my best every day.

The best thing you'll ever do for yourself if you are alcoholic is to put down the drink. I thought other peoples lives might chane but mine wouldn't and it has so much. And thats only in the first year. I'm a year sober next Wed and I've everything to look forward to.

Oh and another thing I can do now is COPE! Because bad things happen and jobs and friends come and go. Cars will break down and items will be lost and these things are all inevitable. But there's no drama anymore about anything. I can handle the good and the bad. If I have a bad day its only a bad day, I get over it. I coped with nothing before.

Have a fab Christmas and well done. You've a great life ahead of you xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

simplistic wrote: »
    How have your relationships changed with friends or romance wise ?
    Have your interests or hobbies changed?what do you spend your time doing?
    How do you feel when you look back at the old you? are you happier?more confident?
    Or any other noticeable differences in your life?

Ive only recently stopped about 2 months ago so Im just looking for some inspiration over the Christmas period so I can get over the hump! Thanks

I try to listen more to people and be honest regarding romance. I took up outdoor pursuits, changed career, and started doing a lot of stuff that I dreamed about. When I look back at the old me I feel sad for the way I was. I wouldn't say I am happier cos I'm a miserable git by nature. Definitely more confident. The big difference is I do not miss drink and do not need it.
    Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

This time around only a week off the drink but target is 12 months (maybe more but shhhh me mates will go bananas)

Have gone on the dry befpre for two months and 6 weeks both times i felt ten times better about myself and had more fun on nights out

i was literaly dancing all night, laughing cavorting and getting up to general naughtiness. Only reason I went back on the boozr both times was to amke my friends feel better, absolutely stupid decision each time but sure maybe if you ask me next year i wont be saying I went back on for them and Ill look at it differently currently I feel lime I was tryong to comfort my drinking buddies.

So as I said only a week in but told my dad and he (A tea toatllar himsself) was delighted. He calls me everyday to talk about it ( we used to speak 3-4 times a year) and assures me ill have so much extra cash i wont know what to do.

My friends have been very very supportive and are delighted for me. I think I have made the point often enough so this time its up to me.

My brother was also delighted and fingers crossed he may join me too.

Oh on the other dry spells I lost weight, slept better and had nicer skin but no sex!!!

This time I have a partner so hopefully ill get good skin and good well ya know.

Ill re post here in a few months and see how things went

Advertisement