Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what ram should i buy and where?

Options
  • 22-12-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Hello. I’m looking for some help upgrading my pc. I’m looking to upgrade it by another 2gb of memory. To be honest I haven’t a clue what I’m looking for. My computer is a dell dimension c521 . Currently installed memory: is two by 512MB

• Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
    • Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
    • Available Memory Slots: 2
    • Total Memory Slots: 4
    • Dual Channel Support: Yes
    • CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    • CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ Model 11, Stepping 2
    • CPU Speed: 2204 MHz
    Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?
    A: DDR2 memory with support for DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 speeds.
    i think I need a kit of 1GB + 1GB
    I don’t want to go spending money on something that won’t work. Any help on this matter would be great.
    i was looking at this one http://www.crucial.com/eu/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=DF44A42631D926C3 would this be ok or would i find cheaper around?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You don't happen to know what speed those modules of yours are currently running at? Always best to match speeds and latencies...

In any case RAM has become very expensive now. 2x1GB DDR2-667 (what you probably need) will cost €35-40 and there's shipping to add to that, so don't expect to get it for much under €45 at best. MemoryC.com is a good site to try thanks to the cheap shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Solitaire wrote: »
    You don't happen to know what speed those modules of yours are currently running at? Always best to match speeds and latencies...

In any case RAM has become very expensive now. 2x1GB DDR2-667 (what you probably need) will cost €35-40 and there's shipping to add to that, so don't expect to get it for much under €45 at best. MemoryC.com is a good site to try thanks to the cheap shipping.

Thanks for the reply Solitaire. i'm not really sure how to find out to be honest. i very new to all this. this is what i got back from the The Crucial System Scanner when i did a scan. it might be of some help. http://www.crucial.com/eu/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=173A3B9231D926C3

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
    * Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
    * Available Memory Slots: 2
    * Total Memory Slots: 4
    * Dual Channel Support: Yes
    * CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    * CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ Model 11, Stepping 2
    * CPU Speed: 2204 MHz
    * Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4251.

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?

A: DDR2 memory with support for DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 4096MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: Yes.

Your system requires that you install memory in pairs.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

A: Yes.

To benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

A: No.

i'd a feeling the cost would be around the €40 mark alright i just don't want to end up buying the wrong ram.
    this is a link to the c521 specs http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/dimen_c521/pd.aspx?refid=dimen_c521&s=dfh&cs=22&~tab=specstab
    it might be of some help.

thanks again for your help.

Advertisement