Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow, its nothing but trouble!

• 22-12-2009 2:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I have no fear of the slippery road surface, I know how my car behaves in it and know how to deal with it.

Everyone's been going on about how horrible the roads are but I can only think how fun they've become. It all backfired on me today though, the driveway into my place of work was iced over, I'd felt the sliddyness of it when I came into work the last few days and decided to take full advantage of it today. I came in fast pulled the handbrake did an awesome 4 wheel slide into the parking lot powered into the lot, handbrake into a parking spot. Big smile on my face! look to my right and there's the boss getting out of his car (I'd hand braked into the spot beside him in a company car).

Damned roads! Everyone blamed the slidy roads, I couldn't admit my awesomeness and had to give credit to the stupid roads for my super driving skills.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

our snow is alot like finding out you got aids - its ****e.

go somewhere like japan... or sweden where they get Real snow.... then mess about...

ill call the insurance company ahead of time and book the bed in the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

This thread fails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Im doubt you would have been so smug if you got it slightly wrong and pinned your boss to his car. I love the snow but I when I mess about in it I am on a empty race track. I normally hate getting on a high horse but acting the clown in a place where you dont know what the enviroment might be like is dangerous and silly.
    It would have had to have been some amassing gravity defying slide to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i must say,

i have driven in snow before and have noticed no difference at all to driving in dry sunny conditions (probably cos im such a careful driver anyway :)).

I think i'd be much more worried about Ice , Ice Patches and Black Ice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have no fear of the slippery road surface, I know how my car behaves in it and know how to deal with it.
    This is smug enough but this puts you into Prius ownership smug levels!
    Damned roads! Everyone blamed the slidy roads, I couldn't admit my awesomeness and had to give credit to the stupid roads for my super driving skills.

However, most people would not be impressed with your expert skills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Everyone's been going on about how horrible the roads are but I can only think how fun they've become. It all backfired on me today though, the driveway into my place of work was iced over, I'd felt the sliddyness of it when I came into work the last few days and decided to take full advantage of it today. I came in fast pulled the handbrake did an awesome 4 wheel slide into the parking lot powered into the lot, handbrake into a parking spot. Big smile on my face! look to my right and there's the boss getting out of his car (I'd hand braked into the spot beside him in a company car).

+1, driving around the car park this morning was great fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

I like your style. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

If there is an empty car park filled with snow, most drivers who are not completely dead inside and completely devoid of fun and laughter in their lives (especially FWD owners like me who dont get the chance normally) feel an irresistable urge to take advantage of these rare conditions to hankbrake, J turn and reverse donut in a safe environment!

Good times! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lisnagry

Damned roads! Everyone blamed the slidy roads, I couldn't admit my awesomeness and had to give credit to the stupid roads for my super driving skills.[/QUOTE

And then you woke up

kbannon wrote: »
    Anyone who can't make a statement similar to that about their driving shouldn't be let near a car. Most people haven't a clue how their car works or how to control it outside of their comfort zone (which is tiny).

• Advertisement

Why?

Everyone should know the limit of their car in all types of road conditions.
    How are you going to deal with an uncontrolled skid on a busy snowy road if you've never pushed the car to try something like that in more controlled circumstances on empty roads/ carparks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Well you people can stay on your high horses but I sure had fun in empty car parks that were frozen over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

SV wrote: »
    Well you people can stay on your high horses but I sure had fun in empty car parks that were frozen over :)

Ya we all did......in EMPTY car parks. As stealty said we all need a laugh with our FWDs.......but in an empty save car park. Not one at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Wow! ~ 1.5-2 tonnes of metal propelled at velocity x over distance y with consideration to the coefficient of friction z of the portions of your tyre thread actually in contact with the mixed surface of snow, slush and loose/packed ice - All carried out by a Driver who lives in Ireland and probably drives in these conditions a handful of times in a decade and has your smarmy attitude, incredible self-belief, silly smugness and seemingly immature nature.... Hmmmm, not sure what to think really.......

I'm not going to speak up for your "awesomeness" either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's great fun but there's a time and place for that and a public car park ain't it. I was nearly creamed two years ago by a guy having a laugh like that. Instead he made sh1te of the car behind me. Bet he thought he was in full control too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

This weather is awsome especially when I m driving around my driveway. :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

i think the snow is a good chance to learn some car control

i went to one of our many empty industerial areas and enjoyed about an hour of slow speed madness.

nevee difted a transit around a roundabout before twas fun
    made many mistakes and learned a trick or 2

fwd sucks what good is that in the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

ddarraghh wrote: »

fwd sucks what good is that in the snow

I went to work this morn in a '74 Rover V8.

All back roads, in the dark with 'feel free' power steering.

I've had better fun...

How can one be in control when one is sliding on ice?

How can one be in control when one is sliding on ice?

I think snow was what was being discussed, but my office car park (empty when I arrived) was still fun in the ice.

Anyway for a FWD car, how I remain in control is start the slide by turning the wheel, giving the hand brake a tug (just enough to lock the wheels for a split second to start the slide), then feathering the accelerator and turning the wheel into the slide to end it and with it to continue it! For the longer slides, I change to third gear. The slide can get out of control if the front wheels spin, and this will set you into a 4 wheel drift, to get out of this, change up the gear, turn into the slide and accelerate gently until you get traction. With practice you can get the hang of it, and it is a lot of fun. Best to do all manouveres in the centre of the car park so if you f**k it up you wont hit anything! Also, do it in a carpark you know is flat as snow can hide little islands with kerbs on them!

• Advertisement

The OP mentioned how there was ice...

The OP mentioned how there was ice...

Apologies, the title fooled me! anyway its the same principle!

OK, so when I heading up the M1 doing say 120km/h and suddenly I hit some ice, I should tug my handbrake, feather the accelerator, turn into the slide (assuming I am in a FWD car)?
    Thats brilliant because I reckoned that I may have been in the central median (asuming there were no dawdlers in the overtaking lane) by the time the handbrake was pulled!

OK, so when I heading up the M1 doing say 120km/h and suddenly I hit some ice, I should tug my handbrake, feather the accelerator, turn into the slide (assuming I am in a FWD car)?
    Thats brilliant because I reckoned that I may have been in the central median (asuming there were no dawdlers in the overtaking lane) by the time the handbrake was pulled!

I may have mistaken Ice for snow but pretty sure we were talking about a carpark here?? Im not sure how fast you drive in these, but I certainly wouldnt be getting anywhere near 120 kmph!

On the M1, assuming you were going in a straight line, I think you should keep the car/wheel straight and ease off (not lifting off suddenly) the accelerator. If you are changing lanes or the road is bending, depending on the length of the ice patch, its pretty much out of your hands.

Certainly controlable at lower speeds though, you should go out and try it in a large empty space, might cheer you up!

I've often had slides in an empty car park. I drive a RWD car so I'm well used to slides on ice and snow.
    I would not drive into an icy/snowy car park fast (where there are other cars, especially not my bosses (when I am in a company car)) and then do a handbrake turn in a parking spot. The OP thought that he was being uber-cool but most folk (IMO) just thought he was being incredibly foolish if not dangerous!

Another fun morning this morning in the estate and work car park.
    Sliding over ramps is a strange feeling.

Aside from the dusting of ice all over the estate there is one part where the green drains across the road due to the slope. This has been lethal 5ft wide "river" of ice across the road for the last week. I'd say even parking in the space on the side of this is a bit dodgy as you car could slide overnite:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

He was in a car park but there were other cars and pedestrians about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

With added fail...
    look to my right and there's the boss getting out of his car (I'd hand braked into the spot beside him in a company car).
    If he crashes the company car over the next few weeks in the snow or ice, the boss will wonder was it because of him doing something stupid :(

What cars? We're on 3 day week our carpark never even hits half it's capacity at the best of times anymore.

Mostly everyone had gone home at this stage and we do have a sizable car park. Now everones just assuming conditions that diddn't exist because they enjoy getting upset over things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

What cars? We're on 3 day week our carpark never even hits half it's capacity at the best of times anymore.

Mostly everyone had gone home at this stage and we do have a sizable car park. Now everones just assuming conditions that diddn't exist because they enjoy getting upset over things.

+1

the boss isn't a pedestrian, he's a target... ;)

My comments are based on what you have told us (especially those highlighted in bold below)

I don't believe that you had control of the car when doing a handbrake turn on ice. The fact that you hadn't seen your boss getting out of his car indicates that you were unaware of what was around you when doing this messing. IMO you were lucky not to have hit anything or anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Famous last words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Why?

Everyone should know the limit of their car in all types of road conditions.
    How are you going to deal with an uncontrolled skid on a busy snowy road if you've never pushed the car to try something like that in more controlled circumstances on empty roads/ carparks...

By Driving carfully so that I don't get into an uncontrolled skid

• Advertisement
Advertisement