Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing guitar at party need song ideas

Options
  • 22-12-2009 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey all,

Don't know if this is the right forum so mods can move as desired. For the past few years my parents have had a party on xmas eve and neighbours, friends etc come round for drinks. Every year my brother and I take out the guitars and play a few tunes and get a singsong going. My parents have now asked that we do some music for the night like you would have in a pub. Happy enough to do that except I don't know many songs to play. Because there are so many people, young and old we want to just play some well known popular songs. What would people here recommend for crowd pleasers etc? oh and its just us with 2 guitars so have to keep it simple enough I suppose b no backing music unless that's easy to arrange?

Thanks in advance! Aaron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

play happy birthday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Let it be - the beatles
    save tonight - eagle eye cherry

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

American Pie by Don Mclean always goes down well with the young and old, its one I play on guitar at house parties....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Jingle Bell Rock. good fun, easy to play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Play the Christmas hits, including this years RATM chart topper:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

I hate the guy at the party with a guitar.

When the guitar comes out, the party is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

judas101 wrote: »
    I hate the guy at the party with a guitar.

When the guitar comes out, the party is over.

The guitar should come out as late as possible when people are fading.

Just make sure you pick a few well known tunes from a few eras and stuff that could be sung along with.

Oasis - Wonderwall/Dont look back in Anger
    Greenday - Basket Case/When September ends
    Beatles - Hey Jude/Daytripper/Imagine/Ciome Together
    Elvis - Suspicious Minds
    Britney Spears - Hit me baby one more time *you know the version
    Christy Moore - Welcome to the caberate/Joxer/Dont forget your shovel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

PLAY FREEBIRD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

kippy wrote: »

Oasis - Wonderwall/Dont look back in Anger

Oh Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

judas101 wrote: »
    Oh Christ

Whats that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

first of all judas101 im shocked to hear you take the lords name in vain on his birthday after all you did to him.
    kippy wrote: »
    Whats that supposed to mean?

secondly, to answer your question kippy hes just showing his dislike for these particular Oasis songs which unfortunatly get played over and over and over by pub singers, buskers etc. and id agree there, they're played to death.
    but hey, if you can knock out one of these on the guitar then go for it, you're guaranteed that people will know them.

a bit of comedy music is no harm, a friend of mine used to sing a song I Will Survive with alternative lyrics, Click here to read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

sweet caroline,cracklin rosie,sloop john b,pretty woman roy orbison,elvis suspicious minds (medley),beatles medley..whickey in the jar,dirty old town,sweet 16 fureys..rolling stones honey tonk woman,neil young harvest moon,everly brothers walk right back and the rest....

i feel sorry for ya. i've had to deal with this **** for years.

Advertisement