Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a power supply...

Options
  • 22-12-2009 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

For the following build...

CPU: I5-750 165.38
    MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 110.68
    RAM (4GB): G-Skill RipJaws 1333 Mhz CL7 80.63
    CASE: Antec 300 45.79
    PSU: ???
    GRAPHICS CARD: Passive HD4650 49.92
    HDD: Samsung F3 1TB 43.96
    OPTICAL: 26.69
    WIRELESS: TP-Link TL-WN951N, 300Mbps 23.68
    TV CARD: TBD
    MONITOR: TBD

TOTAL: 546.73 + 30euro shipping.

And I was kinda hoping to keep the build at <600 excl. monitor(and maybe tv card). Future uprades are an SSD next year and overclocking the i5 of course, so they'll need to be factored in i guess. Any maybe some mo' case fans.

Edit: Priced from HWVS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well you may be pleasantly suprised that a corsair cx400 would power that easy, but of course there is the matter of future upgrades...

Just wondering what you'll actually be doing with the pc though???

Like i don't know why you've gone for a top of the range proc but then gone for an ultra budget gaming graphics card...

What exactly will this pc be used for and what res will the screen you plan to use this pc with be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jock Strap

I'm not surprised, it's the overclocking/upgrading down the line that i need help accounting for. I'm not gonna use it for much gaming, and it's hard to find good passive graphics card... I'm looking for a silent PSU. And obv. relaible. I know corsair means reliabilty but that's about it.
    Looking for a 24inch montior 1080 or 1200 v-res.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Wonder if there's a passive HD5750 out there or a mod for it if you did need it for some gaming... kicks out less heat than a HD4670 in any case...

And +1 for the CX400 unless you intend on extreme overclocking or insane stacks of drives and huge RAID arrays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

A passive 5750, but its not cheap.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=513194

Solitaire wrote: »
    Wonder if there's a passive HD5750 out there or a mod for it if you did need it for some gaming... kicks out less heat than a HD4670 in any case...

And +1 for the CX400 unless you intend on extreme overclocking or insane stacks of drives and huge RAID arrays :)
    Define extreme..... And probably need to power 1 SSD and maybe 1 more HDD down the line. + peripherals. I suppose I'd be able to shave a few more watts off consumption if the 56xx or 55xx series came out soon.... (in the next week or two). Need to be able to play Tron on full settings :p

• Advertisement

Jock Strap wrote: »
    I suppose I'd be able to shave a few more watts off consumption if the 56xx or 55xx series came out soon.... (in the next week or two). Need to be able to play Tron on full settings :p

Why? :P The HD5750 only uses 40-45W during intense gaming, with a potential worst-case scenario of 60W if raped good and hard by the horrors of FurMark (i.e. it probably ain't ever gonna happen in real life situations ;)) I can't think of a reason to downgrade graphics to try and slide much under that bar unless you're never going to play a 3D game ever.

And SSDs use feck-all power. 3.5" HDDs use a little, but their issue is that they use a whole lot of juice for a few milliseconds when they spin up from off/idle - that surge (for each HDD) goes against the "100% load" rating of the PSU just like a CPU under torture and a GPU being thrashed by FurMark as they're not common situations in real life.

The only issue is if you stick half a dozen 3.5" HDDs alongside most of a system's 12V power requirement (except the CPU and any power the graphics cards use over 75W) all together on one 18A rail as some multirail PSUs designs lead you to do. In that case if all the HDDs tried to spin up simultaneously (as they would at every boot unless you're using an unthinkably pricey RAID controller card) they'd tug so much current they'd trip the anaemic 18A trip-switch in the PSU and it'll turn itself (and your PC) off :o The CX400 has a single 30A tripswitch but everything that needs 12V power sits on it; your CPU will draw 7-8A, the graphics card 5A at worst and a few amps for everything else (mobo, fans, opticals; USB and RAM don't use 12V power). Half a dozen HDDs spinning up in unison can happily add 12-15A for just a split second... and then you have failsauce :eek:

Oh, btw, what do you mean by "peripherals" ;)

Why? :P The HD5750 only uses 40-45W during intense gaming, with a potential worst-case scenario of 60W if raped good and hard by the horrors of FurMark (i.e. it probably ain't ever gonna happen in real life situations ;)) I can't think of a reason to downgrade graphics to try and slide much under that bar unless you're never going to play a 3D game ever.

And SSDs use feck-all power. 3.5" HDDs use a little, but their issue is that they use a whole lot of juice for a few milliseconds when they spin up from off/idle - that surge (for each HDD) goes against the "100% load" rating of the PSU just like a CPU under torture and a GPU being thrashed by FurMark as they're not common situations in real life.

The only issue is if you stick half a dozen 3.5" HDDs alongside most of a system's 12V power requirement (except the CPU and any power the graphics cards use over 75W) all together on one 18A rail as some multirail PSUs designs lead you to do. In that case if all the HDDs tried to spin up simultaneously (as they would at every boot unless you're using an unthinkably pricey RAID controller card) they'd tug so much current they'd trip the anaemic 18A trip-switch in the PSU and it'll turn itself (and your PC) off :o The CX400 has a single 30A tripswitch but everything that needs 12V power sits on it; your CPU will draw 7-8A, the graphics card 5A at worst and a few amps for everything else (mobo, fans, opticals; USB and RAM don't use 12V power). Half a dozen HDDs spinning up in unison can happily add 12-15A for just a split second... and then you have failsauce :eek:

Oh, btw, what do you mean by "peripherals" ;)
    Oh, the usual, mouse + keyboard. :p and I don't want to plug in an external harddrive and have the PSU fail! also I'll have the tv and wireless card.

But seriously, the antec already has 2 fans and / intened on overclocking down the line and might add more fans (and maybe a controller). Is the antec 300 suitable for overclocking?

I was thinking an OCZ ModXtream Pro 500w would be more than reassuring.... Though I know there are several on here who would advise against OCZ Power supplies.

So here are the parts I am going to order this weeked, hopefully!
    Total: €813.12 (inc. shipping)

Anything else i need ? What am i going to be missing form the OEM DVD-RW? And the 4670 from komplett says "lite-retail" anybody know the difference between it and full retail?

Any other thoughts? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

So here are the parts I am going to order this weeked, hopefully!
    Total: €813.12 (inc. shipping)

Anything else i need ? What am i going to be missing form the OEM DVD-RW? And the 4670 from komplett says "lite-retail" anybody know the difference between it and full retail?

Any other thoughts? :D

Looks good.

An OEM DVD is essentially, the dvd drive. That's it, no Cables, Software, nada. Don't worry, the cables you need will come with the Mobo and PSU ;D

As for "Lite retail", I have no idea. Also, check out eBuyer before you buy and compare the price. It might actually work out cheaper (especially if you order tomorrow before the VAT goes back up ;))

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Looks good.

An OEM DVD is essentially, the dvd drive. That's it, no Cables, Software, nada. Don't worry, the cables you need will come with the Mobo and PSU ;D
    What about drivers?? And screws? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

What about drivers?? And screws? :confused:

should get a bag of screws with the motherboard and even some with a new case.

Drivers will be on a disk with the mobo.

Odds are there won't be a need for DVD drivers as they're old generictech; thus the drivers will be integrated into Windows by now like USB and wifi :)

And I'm annoyed at the lack of cheap passive HD4770s, especially since Powercolor said they were releasing such a thing :mad: At least some fairly cheap (sub-€130) passive HD5750s will be hitting HWVS... someyear... :rolleyes:

The passive 5750 is due to be released 24th December 2012 ;)

Odds are there won't be a need for DVD drivers as they're old generictech; thus the drivers will be integrated into Windows by now like USB and wifi :)

And I'm annoyed at the lack of cheap passive HD4770s, especially since Powercolor said they were releasing such a thing :mad: At least some fairly cheap (sub-€130) passive HD5750s will be hitting HWVS... someyear... :rolleyes:

I'd love a passive 5750 but i gotta stick to a budget!

I think I'll go with the Sapphire 4670 and pick it up from blanch. Cant find reviews for the Club 3D one. The only difference between the two is that the sapphire is 512MB and the Club 3D is 1GB (both GDDR3). However,m if you look at my motherboard, you'll see that the sapphire's cooler means he top PCIe-x1 slot And the Club 3D cooler will mean I'll be missing the second PCIe-x1 slot! :rolleyes: Any thoughts?

Gonna grab one of these tv cards as well:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=452252

Does anyone know how long exactly this could be?
    2vd3c51.jpg

And will the whole order be delayed or will it arrive when it comes in stock?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

They will ship it when it all arrives in stock.

Passive HD5750.

Just ordered my keyboard and monitor from Dell :D
    Logitech Pro 2800 - €48.29
    Dell ST2410 - €182.45

Rage at the monitor supplied with a VGA cable instead of DVI but the shipping is free :)

Rage x2 at HWVS not having HDD or mobo and komplet not having processor! :(

Try eBuyer :P

• Advertisement

I did, but their website is ridiculously slow. Worked out the same as komplett seeing as how ebuyer don't have the MoBo, RAM, Power Supply or the case :p:p:p

*edit they have the case now

So I got an email last night form HWVS, they said it was shipped at 21:01. Odd time for shipping, does that mean it's been picked up by DHL? The tracking numbers didn't work last night but they work now, it's still on the first stage. Here's the status from HWVS:

Date Event
    2010-1-07 at 17:30 Online-Order
    2010-1-09 at 03:57 The goods are ready for collection or assembling.
    2010-1-10 at 14:24 The invoice was made.
    2010-1-11 Your payment conclusion via Prepayment was confirmed us.
    2010-1-11 at 13:22 The goods were dispatched.
    2010-1-12 at 20:00 Unterwegs - Elektronische Sendungsdaten liegen vor -

Anyone know when I can expect delivery?

Cheers to all who advised.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

So I got an email last night form HWVS, they said it was shipped at 21:01. Odd time for shipping, does that mean it's been picked up by DHL? The tracking numbers didn't work last night but they work now, it's still on the first stage. Here's the status from HWVS:

Date Event
    2010-1-07 at 17:30 Online-Order
    2010-1-09 at 03:57 The goods are ready for collection or assembling.
    2010-1-10 at 14:24 The invoice was made.
    2010-1-11 Your payment conclusion via Prepayment was confirmed us.
    2010-1-11 at 13:22 The goods were dispatched.
    2010-1-12 at 20:00 Unterwegs - Elektronische Sendungsdaten liegen vor -

Anyone know when I can expect delivery?

Cheers to all who advised.
    Friday or Monday probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

In Holland and Germany (the ones I know, but maybe more countries do it) This is very normal since this are 24 hour economies. The mail will deliver your parcels at evening time when they find nobody home at your address during the day.

In Holland and Germany (the ones I know, but maybe more countries do it) This is very normal since this are 24 hour economies. The mail will deliver your parcels at evening time when they find nobody home at your address during the day.
    Good to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Good to know :)

Yep there is nothing better then a lot of useless info you can throw in at any conversation in the pub! LOL

Received everything today, went together like a dream. Will post pics
    + spec up tomorrow or during the week. Thanks to all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Nice looking build Jock Strap - those parts make a great little PC - excellent for editing movies/images!!

Hope you enjoy it, and glad I could provide the final, 'finishing touch' lol (DVI-D cable).

Can't believe Dell would ship monitors with VGA cables in this day and age, ah well!

Advertisement