Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, recommendations..

Options
  • 22-12-2009 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

So I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start learning properly about meteorology. I've some background in 3rd level Applied Maths/Physics so I'm looking for a fairly serious treatment of the subject though preferably mostly through English rather than Mathematics. I'd like to learn about both the climate (i.e. the various air masses, Hadley cells and so on) and weather forecasting itself (chart reading, predictions and the like).

So book recommendations would be welcomed. I'd also like, for my own curiosity, to set up some kind of "mini-weather station" outside the flat. We're on the 4th floor and only have a balcony to work with so I can't do anything fancy obviously but I'd like some idea of wind speed, humidity and temperature. Preferably digital and if I could get it to report to the PC so I can mess around with spreadsheets etc that'd be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Hi your not really ideally located on the 4th floor for a weather station.

Danno and few of the lads on here would recommend something like this bad boy if your serious but ya may find lower location for it.
    http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_DI_6250UK.html

As regards gaining knowledge,loads in your local library man or just google.

In the meantime here's a great starter for you,

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream//index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Right, that NOAA link was interesting but I'm looking for something more advanced/detailed. I'm not sure how much detail I can get into before I need to start looking at textbooks and academic papers. I've a fairly good background in thermodynamics and classical mechanics so this is an option but if there was a good reference books in English on the subject I'd be happier (i.e. less effort required on my part!).

A lower location is completely out of the picture unfortunately. Also my wife would kill me if I spent 400-500 quid on a new toy on a subject that I've only recently gotten into! :p

Advertisement