Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

summer11 wrote: »
    Well Fresca,

Any update on mooted 1st November opening for C'island bypass?

Passed by today and it looked to be ready to open......

would be nice if they could open it a week earlier in time for the October bank holiday which will be my next trip down to Kerry. I will then get to enjoy the new Limerick-Birdhill road and the C'island bypass for the first time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

nothing yet :)
    but i'll ask on sat...

btw, i have some photos to post up, but i'm getting a 503 - service not available when trying to attach. anyone else getting this?
    Well Fresca,

Any update on mooted 1st November opening for C'island bypass?

Passed by today and it looked to be ready to open......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

fresca wrote: »
    nothing yet :)
    but i'll ask on sat...

btw, i have some photos to post up, but i'm getting a 503 - service not available when trying to attach. anyone else getting this?

They might be too big? Are they saved as JPEGs?

Thanks Furet. That's exactly it. The jpg files are too large (allowed 2mb per file).
    I'll use Paint.NET http://www.getpaint.net/ to reduce resolution.
    Furet wrote: »
    They might be too big? Are they saved as JPEGs?

i've posted up some photos from last sunday 3-oct.
    sorry for delay.
    you'll find them over on the other n21 thread...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68384231

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

fresca

On the first 2 pic you posted, a and b there appears to be a slight movement in the carrageway form right to left and then back just before the overpass. Is that real or just a camera trick?

I see what you mean.
    If you look at the photos from the overbridge, you can deffinately see a slight "kink" in the median. :)
    I think that this is real and it will be interesting to see how this drives....

tharlear wrote: »
    fresca

On the first 2 pic you posted, a and b there appears to be a slight movement in the carrageway form right to left and then back just before the overpass. Is that real or just a camera trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 summer11

There is an good chance that Castleisland bypass will open on 22nd October.

Testing is ongoing this week and early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Will this be Kerry's first dual carriageway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Will this be Kerry's first dual carriageway?

Yes.

There was one proposed before (Full DC spec) on the N21 Tralee-Ballycarthy section but it was pulled due to a woods nearby and WS2 was built instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 summer11

tech2 wrote: »
    Yes.

There was one proposed before (Full DC spec) on the N21 Tralee-Ballycarthy section but it was pulled due to a woods nearby and WS2 was built instead.

Not technically correct - this is 2 plus 2 - DC is another level up.

Not technically correct - this is 2 plus 2 - DC is another level up.

It is correct. The Castleisland bypass will be Kerry's first stretch of dual carriageway. The NRA also call it Type 2 Dual Carriageway

The road is divided by a wire rope therefore there is two carriageways.

update over on the other n21 thread.
    looks like the the dual carriageway / 2+2 section is almost ready to rock!!!
    (yippeee)

btw, there were no articles on this project in local press this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

For those of you who were saying the N23 section is S2, take a look at it from both sides, looks pretty WS2 to me! By the way I'm not starting an argument, just stating the observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Raidio na Gaeltachta is quoting the NRA as saying the bypass will open on October 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

The announcement on route selection for the Adare/NCW/Abbeyfeale section has now been pushed back to December, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

mossieh wrote: »
    The announcement on route selection for the Adare/NCW/Abbeyfeale section has now been pushed back to December, apparently.
    That Terrible news, This just give local people who are effect more to fume about. Did they say what is holding them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Glad its moving ahead a bit but the few months will make no difference as that has no chance of happening anytime soon.

a new thread was started over on the kerry section for the tralee bypass project.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056063250

lots of photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Another person killed at Barnagh (N21) over the weekend. That is the fifth person in as many months. The NRA who keeps putting off the decision to select a route for the Adare/NCW/Abbeyfeale by-pass and those groups objecting to the scheme should think very carefully about this and the other deaths. This stretch of road is killing people as it always has.

• Advertisement

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Another person killed at Barnagh (N21) over the weekend. That is the fifth person in as many months. The NRA who keeps putting off the decision to select a route for the Adare/NCW/Abbeyfeale by-pass and those groups objecting to the scheme should think very carefully about this and the other deaths. This stretch of road is killing people as it always has.
    It seems lives are not worth the money, By local reports that the young women driver was the cause of the accident with crazy overtaking coming down the hill. One driver drove his car into the field at the side of the hill on the climbing lane section to avoid her. She was driving like a boy racer.

Another Crash in NCW yesterday at the pedestrian crossing in front of Tesco's on the N21 main road. Rear end collision. The female Mayo car driver that did the rear ending was badly damage up the the front wheels (twisted) in the 50kph zone and ended up on the pedestrian crossing. The rear ended car was gone when I arrived.

Barnagh is one big accident blackspot I do not know why Gardai are not there with cameras and radar guns getting people for speeding at Barnagh and overtaking on continuous white lines rather than been on edge of long 60kph wide roads where there is not danger and never has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Are you implying that someone who objects to a chosen route for whatever reason bears some responsibility for deaths on the existing route? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lordofthedung

It is with deep sorrow I heard of the death of this young girl in Barna at the weekend and I pray she and the other four will rest in peace.

No matter when they choose the route for the Adare to Abbeyfeale road they will not be able to build it for the next five to ten years with the state this country is in.

Anyway if they could build it in the morning and open it in the evening this will not stop the deaths on this road unless they close it altogether and they can't because it is needed to carry local traffic so why can they not improve it by building a new section from the end of Barna bypassing NCW on the Ardagh side, this might take 6 to 9 months and cost maybe 10 to €12,000,000 and save maybe 80-120 lives over the next 10 years.

This should have been done some 20 years ago when they straighten the road from the top of Barna to the bad bends where these deaths keep happening.

Anyway if they could build it in the morning and open it in the evening this will not stop the deaths on this road unless they close it altogether and they can't because it is needed to carry local traffic so why can they not improve it by building a new section from the end of Barna bypassing NCW on the Ardagh side, this might take 6 to 9 months and cost maybe 10 to €12,000,000 and save maybe 80-120 lives over the next 10 years.

This should have been done some 20 years ago when they straighten the road from the top of Barna to the bad bends where these deaths keep happening.
    The Death keep happening on this stretch because people do not have patience and are taking huge risks with everybody lives and stupidly believe they have total control of their vehicle and wrongly believe that nothing will happen to them.

EMERGENCY safety works are to be carried out on the N21 outside Newcastle West following the fatal accident that claimed the life of 20-year-old Liva Eglite last Sunday, making her the fifth person to be killed on the deadly stretch of road this year and the fourth within the past month.

There was an outpouring of grief and anger across west Limerick this week following the latest fatality on the section of road at Barnagh, between Templeglantine and Newcastle West.

The death of Ms Eglite, a law student at the University of Limerick who had been returning home to Newcastle West after finishing work at the Devon Inn Hotel, brings to nine the number of people killed on the road in recent years, and comes just one month after the horrific two-vehicle crash that claimed the lives of locals Richard Furey, Tommy Holmes and Tommy Murphy.

Following mounting pressure from local councillors and the public, Limerick County Council confirmed that temporary warning signs will be erected along the N21 immediately, with new hazard and electronic warning signs to be put in place before Christmas.

An application has also been made to the National Roads Authority (NRA) to realign the road and reduce the threat of dangerous bends between Garryduff Cross and Barnagh.

Ms Eglite, who was originally from Latvia and had been living at Cork Road, Newcastle West, with her mother, stepfather and siblings for a number of years, was killed when her black Honda Integra was involved in a four-car collision at Ballymurragh at 10.10pm on Sunday.

A four-year-old boy, who was also injured in the accident, was transferred to Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, for treatment, while a man in his 40s and a woman in her 30s were treated for shock.

Link

Minister Killeen to officially open Castleisland Bypass

The Castleisland Bypass will be officially opened on Friday, October 22nd, by Minister for Defence, Tony Killeen.
    The 5.5km road bypasses Castleisland to the west of the town and links the N23 Killarney Road at Clashganniv to the N21 Limerick Road at Dooneen, via the N21 Tralee Road at Knockannagore.
    The Limerick Road-Tralee Road section consists of 3.4km of Type 2 Dual Carriageway. A single-carriageway links the N21 Tralee Road to the N23 Killarney Road.
    Construction work on the €34m project started on the Bypass by Bam Civil Engineering in May 2009, and was due to finish in December 2010. However, good weather conditions in 2010 and a strong push by the contractors saw the Bypass finish well ahead of schedule.
    “I am delighted at the progress of the Castleisland Bypass over the past 15 months, and it is terrific to be able to open it before Christmas,” Mayor of Kerry, Cllr Pat Leahy stated.
    “It is no secret that the town of Castleisland has suffered from chronic traffic congestion and the opening of the Bypass will benefit the town hugely. To be finished two months ahead of schedule is a fantastic achievement, and I want to pay credit to Bam Civil Engineering, contractors on the project, Jacobs Engineering and RPS of Cork.
    “I also want to pay particular credit to the staff of the Kerry National Road Design Office in Castleisland. Matt Corridan and his staff put in a huge effort to ensure that this project was ready to get off the ground when funding became available, and their efforts have also helped to bring the project through in time and on budget.
    “The people of Castleisland must also get huge credit for their efforts in keeping the Castleisland Bypass in the spotlight and in pushing for the project to start.”
    The Castleisland Bypass is projected to divert 70% of all traffic from the town centre. Over three-quarters of Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) will also be diverted from the Town Centre.

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/ministertoofficiallyopencastleislandbypass/

The bypass will open to traffic at 3.30pm and the opening ceremony will be at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Openstreetmap don't appear to have any active mappers in that region. Our map there is fairly sparse.
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.2333&lon=-9.467&zoom=13&layers=M

Much obliged if someone could collect a gps trace of the new by-pass (or any other roads there) so we can add it to the map.

Here's a comparison of Google and OSM map in that area:
    http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=-9.47502&lat=52.23957&zoom=12

anyone been through yet?
    is she open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

limklad wrote: »
    The Death keep happening on this stretch because people do not have patience and are taking huge risks with everybody lives and stupidly believe they have total control of their vehicle and wrongly believe that nothing will happen to them.
    It is with deep sorrow I heard of the death of this young girl in Barna at the weekend and I pray she and the other four will rest in peace.

No matter when they choose the route for the Adare to Abbeyfeale road they will not be able to build it for the next five to ten years with the state this country is in.

I was involved in a fatal accident on this road 20 years ago. I wonder how many lives have been lost since and how many more will be lost before the road is improved.

Advertisement