Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airshow back in 2010, possibly....

Options
  • 22-12-2009 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Although no plans have been put forward, galway city coucil has provisioned funding for the Airshow to coincide with the Powerboat World Championships leg in salthill next summer.

http://www.guide-to-ireland.com/blog/?p=65

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

great news, lets hope our newly undemocratically elected senator o brollochan is ignored as he was by the electorate when he starts whinging. The city badly needs this event back, it was a great family day out and an outstanding success. Time the public stood up to these begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From this point on, any slagging of groupings or persons will get you coal from Santa.

Was a good day out alright, to bad about the funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Great news! Galway badly needs it, also about 99.5% of the population if voting would back the airshow, thats called democracy, I hope unelected failed politicians and left wing hacks do not try to subvert the greater will because they think they know better, an f-16 in Kosovo saved thosands of lifes in preventing a genicide there, a butter knife in a chavs hands in galway can be a lethal weapon, should we ban butter knifes:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It would be sweet if this happened, bring back the airshow!

Great news! Galway badly needs it, also about 99.5% of the population if voting would back the airshow, thats called democracy, I hope unelected failed politicians and left wing hacks do not try to subvert the greater will because they think they know better, an f-16 in Kosovo saved thosands of lifes in preventing a genicide there, a butter knife in a chavs hands in galway can be a lethal weapon, should we ban butter knifes:cool:
    Perhaps I can direct you to the reason the Airshow is not done any more?
    Funding.
    Not leftists.
    Not politicians.
    Businesses withdrawing financial support.
    How about you go around local businesses and demand they start funding your day out again?
    The organisers of Galway's international airshow have announced that it is being cancelled next year because of funding difficulties.
    He also said a further €25,000 would be made available for the Salthill Airshow in 2010, although no proposal for an Airshow next year has been received by City Hall yet.
    The money will be diverted to other marketing initiatives if the Salthill Airshow Committee decide not to take up the offer of funding in 2010.
    Yesterday, Chairman of Let’s Do it Galway John Killeen, one of the men responsible for securing the Volvo Race for Galway, said the €25,000 of seed funding from the Council was welcome but added that a further€400,000 would have to be raised through businesses and other stakeholders if the event is to go-ahead.

• Advertisement

Fair point;), thats the crux all right

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...about 99.5% of the population if voting would back the airshow,

Source?

Well lets look at the facts, about 100,000 + went to the last proper airshow, about 50 went to the anti airshow event, thats demoncracy in action there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Fantastic news if it's going ahead. Hopefully Styer might have more info for us.

JustMary wrote: »
    Source?

get it right! 99.9%

• Advertisement

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I hope it comes back. It has been really misses and it creates a great buzz around the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Well lets look at the facts, about 100,000 + went to the last proper airshow, about 50 went to the anti airshow event, thats demoncracy in action there :cool:

In fairness, my cousin from London who were in Galway, and his brother from Laois were two of that number so it's skewed:p

(point being that a disproportionate number of tourists that are already in town will go to an *event* rather than a *protest*). That's all, carry on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Down to the last three for the Volvo Ocean Race in 2012 too.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/10320-galway-edges-closer-hosting-second-volvo-stopover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Excellent opinion piece on the Airshow and its critics, which appeared in the Advertiser last July. It really shows up how illogical the arguments against it are.

One can't really say that the lack of funding can be totally separated from the hype and hysteria generated by "anti-war" organisations. Hopefully, the vocal minority will be given the level of attention they deserve, and effectively ignored.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digital_editions/Page24_f7694f45-d8cc-4cab-b39a-934d64fbef5d_7cfa00f2-6174-4415-b815-1d9955cfc153.aspx

(It's to the left of the page, titled "Galway Alliance Against Democracy").

b9877.jpg

Pearce Flannery raises the point the sponsorship "would appear" to have been lost because of the GAAW opposition. Ireland "premier business consultant" should know this for sure from speaking to the businesses involved, or did he?

Let presume it's true GAAW managed to persuade all the local businesses to stop funding. How did that happen? I don't think they have enough pull to manage that.
    Did the businesses agree with GAAW poilcy? Not likely.
    Did the cost for the funding get too high, more likely.
    Does the businesses think the revenue from the show does not make up for funding? I don't know.
    Mr Farrell also suggested that insurance was a factor in the air show's cancellation, following last year's accident. A door came off a helicopter at last year's event, hitting a spectator.
    However, this has been refuted by the main organiser Brian McGrath, who said the cancellation was down to the high costs of the show and funding difficulties.
    Speaking to the Galway Independent yesterday, Cllr Michael Crowe, a long-time supporter of the air show, said: "The air show brought an average of 120,000 people to Salthill every year. Every year the council allocated it €15,000, which is only a pittance in comparison to the real cost, and every year the anti-war alliance put up a fight. I'm sick and tired of this anti-war crowd. The people of Galway don't cause the war and these planes are for display purposes only."

The Fianna Fáil councillor also condemned the "lack of support" shown by mayors in recent years to the air show. "It was ignored by three out of the four last mayors.

If businesses were making so much money and the support for GAAW is low then the airshow would still be happening. Imo.

It'd be interesting to hear from some of the businesses concerned, rather than some consultant.

I think business in the town have learned alot from the volvo ocean race and what it did for the city and business and sponsors will note this, I know the airshow is a one day event but maybe it could be as part of a weekend of events with the airshow being the finale, someone mentioned the powerboating event also happening. The GAAW had zero impact, people know they are the usual whingers and pay no heed to them, what amazes me is that a couple of years ago they were prepared to release ballons just prior to the start of the airshow in order to effect radar and stop the event, they could have endangered 100,000 men women and children and this was totally acceptable yet they could justify it. I also think the door falling of the helicopter may have startled the organisers but that was a very isolated incident and can be larned from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

There must be some way to generate more funding for the event. Local businesses may not want to pay big money for sponsorships but surely some of the 100000 people that attend each year would throw a euro or two into a bucket for the event. I would.

Looking forward to a 2010 Airshow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Bosco boy wrote: »
    what amazes me is that a couple of years ago they were prepared to release ballons just prior to the start of the airshow in order to effect radar and stop the event

Not to affect radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

And there were a group with air rifles surround them to shoot down the balloons. Only something so ridiculous would happen here :D

• Advertisement

The air rifle thing was only an certain Internet forum threat afaik.

Actually, no
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/12818

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Excellent news, my business will gladly donate.:cool:

... about 100,000 + went to the last proper airshow, about 50 went to the anti airshow event, thats demoncracy in action there :cool:

Yes indeed (bolding in the quote above is mine ... very telling).

Attending demonstrations against events simply gives them lots of free publicity via the news media. Number of demonstrators gives very little indication of how people would actually vote.

And while I'm broadly sympathetic with GAAW's overalll focus, I don't always support their specific actions and causes. I'd vote againt an airshow on environmental grounds, rather than anti-war ones. Even so, if an airshow happened I may well attend as a spectator, despite how I'd vote.

YMMV, of course, and that is what makes democracy wonderful.

But if you're going to make claims about how people would vote, best to back them up with some research.

Yes indeed (bolding in the quote above is mine ... very telling).

Attending demonstrations against events simply gives them lots of free publicity via the news media. Number of demonstrators gives very little indication of how people would actually vote.

And while I'm broadly sympathetic with GAAW's overalll focus, I don't always support their specific actions and causes. I'd vote againt an airshow on environmental grounds, rather than anti-war ones. Even so, if an airshow happened I may well attend as a spectator, despite how I'd vote.

YMMV, of course, and that is what makes democracy wonderful.

But if you're going to make claims about how people would vote, best to back them up with some research.

Simple facts are that 50 turn up to support GAAW and 100,000 turn up to support the airshow, your not going to get the CSO coming out with exact figures in support of one or the other, they dont exist, but common sence would suggest that that is quite an endorement,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Derek_N

I also think the door falling of the helicopter may have startled the organisers but that was a very isolated incident and can be larned from.
    From what I understand, the huge insurance cost implications of this accident are the main reason why the Air Show stopped.

... your not going to get the CSO coming out with exact figures in support of one or the other, they dont exist, but common sence would suggest that that is quite an endorement,

One of us has a degree in statistics, and experience in running surveys. I'm kinda guessing it's not you.

Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I also think the door falling of the helicopter may have startled the organisers but that was a very isolated incident and can be larned from.

It wasnt even a door anyway it was an emergency egress hatch and was designed to come off in an emergency and in a hurry. Anyway that had no effect on the Airshow being stopped. It was high costs and funding difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

Derek_N wrote: »
    From what I understand, the huge insurance cost implications of this accident are the main reason why the Air Show stopped.

The door falling off had no insurance implications (to the best of my knowledge anyway) the helicopter was insured by the Crown, i.e. the owners of said helicopter, so any claims that would have been made were against the RAF insurance and not the air show.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

About the insurance rumours.
    Galway Independent 2 years ago:
    Mr Farrell also suggested that insurance was a factor in the air show's cancellation, following last year's accident. A door came off a helicopter at last year's event, hitting a spectator.
    However, this has been refuted by the main organiser Brian McGrath, who said the cancellation was down to the high costs of the show and funding difficulties.

Great day out

• Advertisement

One of us has a degree in statistics, and experience in running surveys. I'm kinda guessing it's not you.

Nuff said.

Oh! your and expert!! sorry, In that case I now accept that the 50 are the majority and the 100,000 are the minority, was it an evening course!:D

Advertisement