Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airshow back in 2010, possibly....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

JustMary wrote: »
    I'd vote against an airshow on environmental grounds, rather than anti-war ones.

I'd vote against on both grounds, while I probably wouldn't bother going to a demo - although I would have in the past when I lived in town. An alternative-energy showcase event with an eye to the post-oil age future would be much more exciting, imo. I can just imagine such an event taking place at Salthill, with demonstrations of renewable energy, electric cars and boats, off-grid low-energy structures with rainwater-collection systems and uv filtering, permaculture workshops, organic food stalls, mini-gluas ride on the fairground by Leisureland, bands playing through a tidal-powered sound system…

I'm sure many people will disagree with these sentiments, but in the interests of democracy we should all speak up. However, let's not forget that democracy is simply the best system we've come up with, it doesn't mean that the majority is always right. (Or the richest - look at Copenhagen. :() The majority has, after all, at various times believed in a flat earth, capital punishment, free-market capitalism, the banning of abortions and contraceptives, censorship, the infallibility of the Catholic church, the war on drugs, among many other examples…

For the record, I would admit to being a lefty but I have absolutely nothing to do with the GAAW. But aside from the environmental angle, loads of people turned out for the ocean race, and they didn't have any military hardware on display as far as I am aware, so surely the airshow could do without it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I love planes, esp ones that can blow the sh1te out of things. Bring back the airshow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'd be for it on the grounds that GAAW and environmentalists are against it.

Bring over the Vulcan from the UK it's good and smokey and noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Oh! your and expert!! sorry, In that case I now accept that the 50 are the majority and the 100,000 are the minority, was it an evening course!:D

Nice :)

Awesome news about the airshow. Harrier jumpjet hovering in reverse FTW!!!

I always thought a weekend event based around the prom/galway bay would be sweet for the city. Currach races starting at blackrock, ending at the causeway etc etc like they did in the 60's. Airshow on another day, and all this aainst the backdrop of powerboat racing.

From an environmental point of view, I guess the bird habitats around mutton island may be momentarily disturbed, but they seemed to survive fine during the extended construction of the waste plant which lasted years.......

Majority of sensible, local-economy supporting Galwegians and those from farther afield definetly support this event. But i guess we'l always have the shell to sea people coming down for a day out as long as it doesnt clash with dole day.

And let the good people from "lets do it galway" run the event. They did everyone proud during the ocean race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

One of us has a degree in statistics, and experience in running surveys. I'm kinda guessing it's not you.

Nuff said.
    During this degree did anybody mention the use of common sense? The vast difference in the numbers would imply that you would get majority support for the event. Even if the numbers didnt show quite as high a majority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Lets not get too carried away here.
    It's not confirmed that it will be back, just that the council has put aside 15K for it.
    It will take a lot more than that to put it on, so nothing is confirmed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

One of us has a degree in statistics, and experience in running surveys. I'm kinda guessing it's not you.

Nuff said.

The certificate in humility awarded by that same college is highly regarded I hear....

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

jamesdiver wrote: »
    From an environmental point of view, I guess the bird habitats around mutton island may be momentarily disturbed, but they seemed to survive fine during the extended construction of the waste plant which lasted years.......

I would have thought that environmental objections had more to do with CO2 emissions and climate change. Can anyone clarify?

Well yes, CO2 emissions would be an issue, but at a 1 day airshow event I dont think thats a significant argument. The planes would probably be flying somewhere else if they were not booked for Galway. Im guessing most display planes are short haul from the UK etc to minimise fuel etc. (where did blue angels fly from last airshow anyone?).

Have been searching for papers on air show disturbance on habitats, but have been unable to find anything. Will look on the databases when im back in work. Im sure theres some research from places that hold regular shows such as Farnbough, but i guess a 1 day, 2 hour event nearly every year would be difficult to compare in terms of qualitatively assessing the effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cooperguy wrote: »
    During this degree did anybody mention the use of common sense?

Well they did stress that if you quote a statistic, you should always provide a reference to the source.

The post that I responded to claimed that "99.x% of people would vote for X" - I simply asked where that came from. The answer so far seems to be that it's based on extrapolation from the numbers attending the event vs the protest-event, the last time it was run. As several people have pointed out, there are methodological problems with this approach.

And "humility" my a*se: if the government is kind enough to fund a tertiary education for someone, then that someone has an obligation to make use of it later, and not just lapse into idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I'd vote againt an airshow on environmental grounds, rather than anti-war ones.

Sorry but thats a crock of...

All mankind produces less then 6% of all CO2 output. Most of that is from material that would rot in any event. Aviation uses less then 1% of our total fuel consumption. Housing produces over 50% of the carbon emissions that man produces.

Dont forget the emissions from the cows too:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Well they did stress that if you quote a statistic, you should always provide a reference to the source.

The post that I responded to claimed that "99.x% of people would vote for X" - I simply asked where that came from. The answer so far seems to be that it's based on extrapolation from the numbers attending the event vs the protest-event, the last time it was run. As several people have pointed out, there are methodological problems with this approach.

And "humility" my a*se: if the government is kind enough to fund a tertiary education for someone, then that someone has an obligation to make use of it later, and not just lapse into idiocy.

Hope santa brings me a dictionary for xmas or my days on this forum are over! Happy xmas to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

padraig71 wrote: »
    An alternative-energy showcase event with an eye to the post-oil age future would be much more exciting, imo.

No offense meant Padraig, but, I'd really really really really (see where this is going?) rather watch this...

Than watch this...

I do have an interest in the latter, but it comes no where near the buzz of the former. Probably the coldest summers day I've ever been at the airshow.

There's more than enough room in Galway for both :)

I would also GLADLY pay admission (as long as something low flying using afterburners is present, Aer Arann, good as they are, don't cut it for me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Original Steyr

johngalway wrote: »
    No offense meant Padraig, but, I'd really really really really (see where this is going?) rather watch this...

The side of the crowd says it all, + the clapping etc

Im off to RIAT in July BTW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I can't confirm it officially, but the Red Arrows will be here for the Powerboat Festival at the start of June.

However, until I confirm it, take it as speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Pay admission?

To an air show?

Advertisement