Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O'Dea is a Dangerous Man

Options
  • 22-12-2009 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Willie O'Dea (current) Minister for Defence was forced recently to issue an apology to a Sinn Féin councillor in the High Court.
    O'Dea apologised for defaming the councillor and making false comments.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1222/1224261109197.html

I put it to you all that Willie O'Dea is a dangerous man and is not fit to be a government minister.
    I believe he should resign or be sacked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

imme wrote: »

You must be mistaken, that only happens in "other" countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Mena wrote: »
    You must be mistaken, that only happens in "other" countries...
    where are these 'other' countries of which you speak? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Willie O'Dea (current) Minister for Defence was forced recently to issue an apology to a Sinn Féin councillor in the High Court.

I put it to you all that Willie O'Dea is a dangerous man and is not fit to be a government minister.

Fair play to him for speaking his mind. We need more like him in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Oh no he's not, oh then again.........

bigwill_160602b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I put it to you that the case is closed and sorted.

There are plenty of people in the Dáil a lot more dangerous than O'Dea, and you wouldn't have to travel too far from Willie's constituency to find them.

I am no apologist for O'Dea but i put it to you that there are a lot more resigning issues in the Dáil that something like that;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Demanding a TD's resignation is all well and good if you voted in the last general election.
    If not, you got the government you deserve and have relinquished your right to have a say in how this country is governed and who governs it.

I still don't see how defaming a Sinn Fein councillor could be considered reason for resigning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

mike kelly wrote: »
    I still don't see how defaming a Sinn Fein councillor could be considered reason for resigning.
    Its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

His tail is between his legs lying hound

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What did he actually say about the councillor?

I can't imagine that anything Willie O' Dea could have said would have been more damaging to the guy's reputation than his membership of Sinn Fein tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It was YOUR TAX EUROS at work, in defending Willie O'Dea while he was brought through the courts.
    Is that a good way to spend your tax money?
    That alone is reason enough for him to resign.
    It was also your tax euros that paid the damages.

Then there's this tidbit:
    The Minister apologised to Cllr Quinlivan both for making the statements and for denying having made them during High Court injunction proceedings brought by Cllr Quinlivan.
    He lied to the High Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why? is the legal profession in need of more business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Up until now he has done a reasonably good job as Minister for Defence and he's far from a dangerous man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

He basically made up some stuff about a Sinn fein councillor on the back of that Councillor questioning the number of civil servants (that should be doing something else) he has working for him. It was revenge dig. It not resigning matter but but shows the parochial and childish nature of Irish politics and is par for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

So in the High Court, Mr. O'Dea denied making remarks which he later admitted to making? Isn't this a simple case of pergury? I love the Irish "justice" system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RedPlanet wrote: »
    It was YOUR TAX EUROS at work, in defending Willie O'Dea while he was brought through the courts.
    Is that a good way to spend your tax money?
    That alone is reason enough for him to resign.
    It was also your tax euros that paid the damages.

Then there's this tidbit:

He lied to the High Court.
    The article says O' Dea paid? If he didn't, he certainly should have.
    The Minister also paid damages and costs in respect of the proceedings, which Cllr Quinlivan brought in defence of his reputation.

aurelius79 wrote: »
    So in the High Court, Mr. O'Dea denied making remarks which he later admitted to making? Isn't this a simple case of pergury? I love the Irish "justice" system.

It's not perjury if you are the accused. The accused person is allowed to lie all he wants. Perjury only applies to witnesses.

ok, fair enough speak his mind, but why didn't he back it up.:confused:
    why did he make the comments, then deny making them in the High Court. Then have to make an apology in the Hugh Court and have to say he made false comments and that he defamed councillor. O'Dea is a barrister and should have known better. I think it's wrong for a government minister to deny to the High Court having said certain things and then to have to issue an apology before the High Court.

It brings to mind former Limerick TD (Independent & subsequently Labour Party) Jim Kemmy's comments about O'Dea.
    Kemmy said in Limerick O'Dea was like Mighty Mouse, when he went to Dulin he was like Minnie Mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm just stunned that an FF TD was actually taken to court over his actions........I'd have thought there would at least be an endless tribunal, after which he'd be deemed to be too ill, or too forgetful, no ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm just stunned that an FF TD was actually taken to court over his actions........I'd have thought there would at least be an endless tribunal, after which he'd be deemed to be too ill, or too forgetful, no ?
    what about the dancing Mattie McGrath *laughs*
    you'd have to feel sorry for them really.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Poccington wrote: »
    Up until now he has done a reasonably good job as Minister for Defence and he's far from a dangerous man.

As MOD what does he actually have to do? We are a supposedly neutral country with a small army and there is a ceasefire in NI. All I see him doing is having articles in the Sindo defending his corrupt cabal and shouting down critics during "debates" on RTE where it is evident that he has little or no knowledge on the subject matter.

As MOD what does he actually have to do? We are a supposedly neutral country with a small army and there is a ceasefire in NI. All I see him doing is having articles in the Sindo defending his corrupt cabal and shouting down critics during "debates" on RTE where it is evident that he has little or no knowledge on the subject matter.
    the Minister for Defence has little to do and will have less to do with budget cuts. He gets to look all macho with guns or with our defence forces personnel overseas.
    I wonder about his articles diatribes/party political puff pieces in the Sindo, who's he trying to impress/convert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It's not perjury if you are the accused. The accused person is allowed to lie all he wants. Perjury only applies to witnesses.

Well your clearly no legal expert.
    For the charge of perjury, the statments must be given under oath in a court.
    It doesn't matter if your a witness or the accused, if you've sworn and oath to tell the truth, and then lie; you could be charged with perjury.

Regardless, the issue is not if the Minister should be charged with Perjury or not, it's the fact that he lied to the High Court.
    That is behavior unbecoming of a Minister and that is why he should be forced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,110 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Willie has to be gone for this. I would be really amazed if he isn't. I know we don't have standards, but this is taking the piss. Will he survive this?

I am surprised there isn't a media frenzy about this

Poccington wrote: »

So perjuring oneself in court isn't all that bad, Hey, maybe if you are a murderer or rapist or gangster, it could be understood, but the Minister of Defence? Sorry, this is just not acceptable or defensible. Jesus, have we really no standards in this country at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

walshb wrote: »
    Willie has to be gone for this. I would be really amazed if he isn't. I know we don't have standards, but this is taking the piss. Will he survive this?

I am surprised there isn't a media frenzy about this

+1 FFers seem to be exempt from the law. Any other (civilised) country and he'd be shown the door. However, the vast majority of Judges in this country have been politically appointed by FF. FF bigwigs are virtually untouchable by our 'law' system. Ireland is probably the most corrupt country in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fair play to Mossy, I know the man himself and there's no reason he should have aspersions cast on his integrity from a Fianna Fáil TD of all people. Perhaps O'Dea will learn to shut his hole in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I guess since the sticks and stones have been decomissioned, words really do hurt now.

Moriarty wrote: »
    I guess since the sticks and stones have been decomissioned, words really do hurt now.

And hurt more when they are blatant lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fair play to Mossy, I know the man himself and there's no reason he should have aspersions cast on his integrity from a Fianna Fáil TD of all people. Perhaps O'Dea will learn to shut his hole in future.

Do you know what O'Dea said about him? Article didn't say.

Advertisement