Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O'Dea is a Dangerous Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Do you know what O'Dea said about him? Article didn't say.

As far as I'm aware he suggested Mossy and his brother Nessan were brothel-keepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Nessan Quinlivan?

Now where did I hear that name before;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nessan is an ex-IRA POW who escaped from Brixton Prison in London. What has that got to do with Willie O'Dea saying Mossy Quinlavan is a brothel-keeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Willie and the make-believe brothel?

I don't know if a senior politician such as Willie O'Dea should be allowed to get off seemingly so lightly with perverting the course of justice and character defamation like this. I hope this isn't the last we hear of it...

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nessan is an ex-IRA POW who escaped from Brixton Prison in London. What has that got to do with Willie O'Dea saying Mossy Quinlavan is a brothel-keeper?

Impressive CV.!:eek:

Honourable man I'm sure , Honourable man:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with Willie:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

should it not be a requisit of an office holder to be at least truthful, or at least be economical with the truth, BUT not to be found to be telling porkies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fianna Fail and lying go hand in hand. This does not surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,110 ✭✭✭✭walshb

old boy wrote: »
    should it not be a requisit of an office holder to be at least truthful, or at least be economical with the truth, BUT not to be found to be telling porkies

Yes, but not in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Honourable man I'm sure , Honourable man:rolleyes:

Indeed he is. Your point?

FTA69 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware he suggested Mossy and his brother Nessan were brothel-keepers.

Also accused Maurice of spending Northern Bank raid money :rolleyes: on his local election campaign.

• Advertisement

heh heh.....not a grain of truth in that surely:rolleyes:

Indeed he is. Your point?

Statement horse... statement!

WTF:confused:

Statement horse... statement!

WTF:confused:

Of course it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

I put it to you that the case is closed and sorted.

The Irish Daily does not seem to agree with you.

This is their editorial concerning Willie O'Dea giving false evidence to the High Court. The scans of the articles are below the text.

Irish Daily Mail....

It is remarkable enough for a cabinet minister to be forced to make a humiliating High Court apology and personal financial settlement. It is even more remarkable that this be given to a prominent Sinn Fein activist and long-term political enemy of the minister's

But what is most remarkable about yesterday's settlement of the defamation proceedings brought against Willie 'Dea by Cllr Maurice Quinlivan is not that the Defence Minister has finally admitted to being guilty of a particularly nasty smear campaign. No, it is the nature of Mr O'Dea's second apology.

The minister yesterday apologised, not just for his original comments about Cllr Quinlivan, but also for denying, in an earlier affidavit, that he had ever made such comments. In other words, he admitted that that affidavit - sworn under oath and subsequently used in court proceedings - was untrue.

Mr O'Dea is not only a long serving TD and member of the cabinet. He is also a trained barrister and former junior minister in the Department of Justice; as such, he will be all to aware how serious a crime perjury is. Yet it was only after a tape-recording of his original remarks was produced that Mr O'Dea withdrew that affidavit.

At the time, the minister said that that when he had denied making the defamatory remarks in his affidavit he had been mistaken. That may well be the case. But a man whose memory is so unreliable that he is capable of swearing a false affidavit in a High Court case is hardly the ideal candidate for high office.

The only possible alternative - that Mr O'Dea deliberately lied under oath - is too outrageous to contemplate . But there are only two possible explanations: either he is either hopelessly unreliable of that he is utterly untrustworthy.

Either way, he is patently unfit to server in cabinet. There is only one honourable course of action open to him - and that is to resign immediately.

4223555318_97985d2053.jpg

4223522306_96cec6b787.jpg

4223522206_f7db05866f.jpg

4222758121_1820f8d406.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

The Irish Daily does not seem to agree with you.
    I'm not sure that I'd use that particular rag as backing for any position.
    There is only one honourable course of action open to him - and that is to resign immediately.
    Here I do agree with you. However, I won't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hillel wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I'd use that particular rag as backing for any position.

Here I do agree with you. However, I won't be holding my breath.
    true and true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

O'Dea is now a proven perjurer. He has shown contempt for the institutions of the state, not the only FFer to do so either. Why should we believe anything he says from now forward or trust him to do any dealings on behalf of the country. The office he holds is tainted and he must go.

O'Dea is now a proven perjurer. He has shown contempt for the institutions of the state, not the only FFer to do so either. Why should we believe anything he says from now forward or trust him to do any dealings on behalf of the country. The office he holds is tainted and he must go.

So Mairtín should go as well based on those assumptions??

He'll ride this storm out just like the rest; once they have the backing of the gang, they are untouchable. If ever there was a resigning case, this is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

So Mairtín should go as well based on those assumptions??

If any Government minister perjures themselves in court their position should no longer be tenable. This applies to all! Otherwise the whole system is a farce.

• Advertisement

So Mairtín down in North Kerry should get a boat out like the one he got in??;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

If we voted in greater numbers and took ministers to task, Willie O'Dea's idiocy would be dangerous to Fianna Fail. As it stands, he's just an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What was he alleged to have said, and in what context?

the_syco wrote: »
    What was he alleged to have said, and in what context?

I cant find the damned article for the life of me (have it somewhere around here) but essentially he 'complimented' Quinlivan's local election campaign, said something along the lines of 'that Northern Bank money went far', and asked Maurice 'if the brothel was still open' [a reference to Quinlivan's brother Nessan, who was alleged to have rented an apartment to a Brazilian madame of sorts].

The interview is unbelievable in its tone and, let's say directness, don't know how he hasn't been disciplined by his party over it!

Edit: direct quote from the interview in the Limerick Chronicle, March 10th 2009 - "I suppose I'm going a bit too far when I say this, but I'd like to ask Mr Quinlivan is the brothel still closed?"

Indeed, Nessan Quinlivan so called pillar of society...hmmm those allegations would certainly be damaging to a person of his alleged good reputation:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Edit: direct quote from the interview in the Limerick Chronicle, March 10th 2009 - "I suppose I'm going a bit too far when I say this, but I'd like to ask Mr Quinlivan is the brothel still closed?"
    Ah. Found the brothel: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/brazilian-women-ran-brothel-from-top-provos-apartment-1601979.html?start=2

Indeed, Nessan Quinlivan so called pillar of society...hmmm those allegations would certainly be damaging to a person of his alleged good reputation:rolleyes:

Are snide comments all you're capable of? Are you Willie O'Dea?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

imme wrote: »
    I put it to you all that Willie O'Dea is a dangerous man and is not fit to be a government minister.

The same is true of all members of Fianna Fail.

Hi,

Do you think that a Minister who perjures himself is something we as a nation should
    tolerate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I am utterly amazed that this has generated no indignant outcry whatsoever - The Irish Electorate are docile, vapid and have no notion of the difference between right and wrong.

- At the very least Cowen should tell him to fcuk off on overseas duty indefinitely - but then again why would he even have to tidy up a non-scandal seeing as it is that the People simply haven't the wit to care?

Advertisement