Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options
  • 22-12-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Looking like staying cold upto and after Christmas, will turn abit milder along southern and western coasts for a time during Stephens day. But many inland areas and further north staying very cold with snowcover lasting.

Scattered snow showers again today in the north and west.

The big watch is on this shortwave feature set to slam into the south and push up the east coast tomorrow. It is a marginal situation but looks like giving signifigant accumalations inland during tomorrow evening.

Leinster and Munster both at risk.

The GFS looks abit warmer than yesterday but i note that Dew points in my location vary between -1c and 1c during the precip. If your dewpoints can stay at 0c or below you will have snow, so there is an example how borderline it is.

The rollercoaster continues.;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

good troughs heading down here pretty large though migt not make it expecting a max of no higher than 1c again

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Thanks weathercheck, just what I wanted to hear. I see the chance of snow has increased to 40% for dublin and Sky News seem to be getting in on the act too. just waiting to see if met erieann change their 5 day forcast. Going back to Donegal on Christmas eve, hopefully get a white christmas up there but wife says everything is solid ice there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

dbyrne wrote: »
    Thanks weathercheck, just what I wanted to hear. I see the chance of snow has increased to 40% for dublin and Sky News seem to be getting in on the act too. just waiting to see if met erieann change their 5 day forcast. Going back to Donegal on Christmas eve, hopefully get a white christmas up there but wife says everything is solid ice there at the moment.

Your wife is 100% correct !! Its solid ice up here !! I guess it technically will be a white Christmas here !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

A colleague left the office for a 40 mile commute home at 2.30 pm, arrived at home 11.45 pm. South Oxfordshire.

That's a big clump over Mayo/Roscommon/Leitrim ! Any snow coming from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hows things in Letterkenny , much snow i wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Roscommon is covered. Bit of snow but mainly ice and frozen snow! Roads are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hmm i fear mt cranium's forecast for today maybe becoming true as the snow has turned to rain:(

in the past this use to happen regularly, snow would be promised to continue but the showers would just turn to sleet and rain.

hmm i fear mt cranium's forecast for today maybe becoming true as the snow has turned to rain:(

in the past this use to happen regularly, snow would be promised to continue but the showers would just turn to sleet and rain.

were do you live?

owenc wrote: »
    were do you live?

Mayo. hopefully if the rain gets heavier it might turn back to snow

• Advertisement

ok for a minute i thought you lived in antrim and nearly had a heart
    atake!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann going for rain in all parts on Christmas Day and further spells of heavy rain on Stephens Day. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

nacho...you should change your name to 'where do you live'?

-2c here now. Hard freeze here like everywhere else. Gritters were out a few times overnight so roads are much better than yesterday morning. I am on a secondary road.

very encouraged by the latest GFS for tomorrow which shows snow over Clare for 24 hrs or more. I would say we might get 10 hours of rain, 7 hours of drizzle, 6 hrs of sleet, 45 minutes of hail, 10 minutes of mist and 5 minutes of snow. But what a lovely 5 minutes it will be.

EDIT: Next GFS is 9.30 so fingers crossed it improves again

Met Eireann going for rain in all parts on Christmas Day and further spells of heavy rain on Stephens Day. :(

so they've changed their forecast again already:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'd be happy for a covering at this stage - just before christmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i'd say thats likely to happen as well down south tomorrow with that band of precipitation coming from the south. might be snow over high ground. :o

so they've changed their forecast again already:pac:

"...Christmas day will get milder with a freshening southwest wind and rain will affect all parts during the day. Saturday (St Stephens day) will be cloudy and breezy with spells of heavy rain..."

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Classic Christmas Breakdown.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    nacho...you should change your name to 'where do you live'?

-2c here now. Hard freeze here like everywhere else. Gritters were out a few times overnight so roads are much better than yesterday morning. I am on a secondary road.

very encouraged by the latest GFS for tomorrow which shows snow over Clare for 24 hrs or more. I would say we might get 10 hours of rain, 7 hours of drizzle, 6 hrs of sleet, 45 minutes of hail, 10 minutes of mist and 5 minutes of snow. But what a lovely 5 minutes it will be.

EDIT: Next GFS is 9.30 so fingers crossed it improves again

i might do. by the way Airplane is a great movie:cool:

leahyl wrote: »
    I'd be happy for a covering at this stage - just before christmas:)

morning miss leahy - icy in de real capital this morning? not as bad down here as yesterday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

icy in de real capital this morning?
    Ennis? yes it is

• Advertisement

"...Christmas day will get milder with a freshening southwest wind and rain will affect all parts during the day. Saturday (St Stephens day) will be cloudy and breezy with spells of heavy rain..."

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Classic Christmas Breakdown.

hmm
    so obviously the idea of the milder air struggling to take a hold has been discounted now, as there is no mention of the rain being perceded by snow even in the north of the country

I'm watching that lovely big bank of cloud that has circled round the top of Scotland and is heading down our way.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Ennis? yes it is

you wish boy!

hmm
    so obviously the idea of the milder air struggling to take a hold has been discounted now, as there is no mention of the rain being perceded by snow even in the north of the country

a lot can change in 24 hours. met eireann in last nights forecast didn't even mention that front moving up north tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Must have made one or 2 light snow showers overnight as there is a fresh dusting this morning. Must be still snowing to my north as it looks black. A very wintry and very beautiful morning in all fairness. :) -1.2c which seems to be rising quite sharply.

morning miss leahy - icy in de real capital this morning? not as bad down here as yesterday morning.

No the roads are fine this morning (in the city anyway) - nice and frosty though - the view from my office window is nice - all the rooves covered!:D

-1 here in Waterford and a very festive looking frosty scene. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Morning all,Looks to be freezing outside today!Temps reched -2.2 last night and the temp is currently 0.1.

leahyl wrote: »
    No the roads are fine this morning (in the city anyway) - nice and frosty though - the view from my office window is nice - all the rooves covered!:D

I love how you pronounce roofs down there !! Cant beat the Cork accent !;)

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    I love how you pronounce roofs down there !! Cant beat the Cork accent !;)

that is the correct plural form for roof!!:confused:! So there! Actually i just googled it and you can say either roofs or rooves!;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement