Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Mothman: I notice your thermometer was -3 at 18:30 tonight but has gone back up to nearly 0 now. Strange considering there isn't much cloud cover in wicklow town and presumably ashford?

that happened in scotland too they got upto -16c now back down to -14c lol maybe its something to do with dp.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

arctictree wrote: »
    Hit -2.8c here at 18:40. Now, -0.2c. Not sure why, it seems clear enough outside.

Anyway, I'll be looking at that system coming from the south with great interest tomorrow. We could get a dumping here in the hills if the conditions are right. On the other hand, could be a non event if the precip doesn't get here.
    Some cloud did come across. Despite the altitude difference, the temps at our locations have been similar this eveing.

Now clear and temp falling again now after being -3C at 1830, rising to above zero at 2000.
    -1C atm

EDIT, BoardsRanger, your Q came when I was posting. This should be your answer

Any fellow Lucanonions here that could tell me the temp here in Lucan.
    Feels very cold, yet it dosent seem to frosty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Where abouts are you?

Bolton,

it dropped about 10 inches plus here since 12 last night, it was snowing most of the day and very cold but in the wink of an eye its melting faster than Mrs Doyle chasing Usain Bolt,

weird very weird, you guys seem to be getting the conditions we had last night,

if so yis will be in for a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

another savage frost here in trim but no snow

in my limited knowledge of weather i really cant see much snow in the fronts comeing up from the south just seems very marginal dp's for to much snow,i allready said it for the last fortnight that i thought it would be a very local snow event and i see this one being the same.
    however there is a prospect of the weather turning snowy cold for the end of this year and the new year again,fingers crossed.
    anyway congrats to all who got some snow(hate you all)only kidding,bitterly disapointed by the non event here in meath but hey santy is comeing may he be good to you all :D
    on another note can anyone tell me will i get hot sunny weather on the 22nd of june,what temp as i need to no what suntan lotion to get ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

9 o clock News now saying its going to get milder on xmas day :mad:

and they have changed from there -6 in the west on the weather after the six one news to -8 in tonight report,

-33 in some parts of europe through the cold spell , I dont think we could cope with temps like that over here.

Is the weather on at 9.30 pm ? I dont really want to watch the news again.

Temp is currently -0.03c and DP -1.6c in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Mothman wrote: »
    Some cloud did come across. Despite the altitude difference, the temps at our locations have been similar this eveing.

Now clear and temp falling again now after being -3C at 1830, rising to above zero at 2000.
    -1C atm

EDIT, BoardsRanger, your Q came when I was posting. This should be your answer

I'm following you down. -0.6c here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eireanbo

the roads are lethal here in longford snow has barley melted we had a big shower tis morning...tried to go out to finish my santa shopping my car almost slid into a ditch.....scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

just as i was about to log off a minute ago, i noticed window covered in white flakes, the tiniest snow flakes i have ever seen, definitely not hard hail type, to soft, and so cute:D and there is millions of them lol:D

Mothman: I notice your thermometer was -3 at 18:30 tonight but has gone back up to nearly 0 now. Strange considering there isn't much cloud cover in wicklow town and presumably ashford?
    And to give more explanation,
    My site is prone to Katabatic winds with the cold air coming down from the hills and this mixes up the settled air at my site and raises the temperature. The breeze stops and temp falls again. This can go on all night and has resulted in mad fluctuations

Note how there is a breeze when the temp rises. Tonight this seemed to coincide with the bit of cloud as well.

• Advertisement

-1.4c here currently.
    I see it hit -2c about an hour ago.

Driving down from Dublin this evening the car thermometer read +4.5c in the city centre.
    +2c at sandyford.
    +3c around the bray bypass and around +1c from kilcoole southwards.
    It rapidly dipped below zero as I hit the arklow bypass.

Thats a 6c difference in 40 odd miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Cheers for the info Mothman. I would imagine it will at least get to -4 tonight.

Icelandic Met office showing a lot of precip for the south east tomorrow night (including Dublin):

091222_1200_36.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

-1.4c here currently.
    I see it hit -2c about an hour ago.

Driving down from Dublin this evening the car thermometer read +4.5c in the city centre.
    +2c at sandyford.
    +3c around the bray bypass and around +1c from kilcoole southwards.
    It rapidly dipped below zero as I hit the arklow bypass.

Thats a 6c difference in 40 odd miles!

IS IT GONNA SNOW IN BRAY TONIGHT ?

IS IT ?

IS IT ?

Left greystones -.5 @ 8.30 & raining. +3 by Glen of the Downes; +1 in Bray & the house still under frost & +2.6 down the harbour...

arctictree wrote: »
    Icelandic Met office showing a lot of precip for the south east tomorrow night (including Dublin):

091222_1200_36.png

is there ere a hint @ what sort of precipitation it might be ??

Cheers for the info Mothman. I would imagine it will at least get to -4 tonight.
    Yes, I'm looking at my all time Dec low of -4.6C and wondering will it be lower tomorrow morning. I don't think there will be much cloud cover and the wind is fairly light.

-1.1C atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Forgot to post, but it was -5.1 Monday morning here.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Don't know the temp here but definitely the most frost I've seen on the road, cars etc for this time of night so far in this cold spell.

Bring on the snow for tomorrow night for the snow starved regions, we feckin deserve it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Great snow now and for the past 30-40 mins in Donegal:D

If it keeps up we will be snowed under!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just seen the forecast on RTE 1. They're saying some snow on Christmas day in some places but it will get milder in the 2nd half of the day, with temps up to about 7 degrees on St Stephens Day.

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    Eveylyn Cusack on the nine o clock news just now said it would be snow...
    In fact her exact words were outbreaks of snow.

jenzz wrote: »

Probably snow. (According to Evelyn on the 21:30 RTE weather). Would make a great XMas eve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Great snow now and for the past 30-40 mins in Donegal:D

If it keeps up we will be snowed under!

Are you nearby Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just seen the forecast on RTE 1. They're saying some snow on Christmas day in some places but it will get milder in the 2nd half of the day, with temps up to about 7 degrees on St Stephens Day.

then 2- 3 day of somewhat milder conditions before colder conditions look like kicking in again

h850t850eu.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=307d9cb27b4ca1bd7b1ca1edaad9aab27b1ca101&dopsig=e4b90f490ceb0309749cd92d33ebb258

Excellent!Thanks a mil - made sure I got everything done today just in casey.

Hmm wonder can we still charge for the snow job if it snows for real ??? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

In_tuition wrote: »
    Are you nearby Letterkenny?

about a mile outside it,up a mountain.The town could be grand for all I know,but up with me its bad enough.About an inch of ice on our road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 18z says yes, precip upto Louth.

Could be some decent accumalations as one moves inland from the coast.

A real desperate evening to be travelling.

Reckon the precip will run as far north as Howth and stall, meaning i miss out!

It looks like it might not get past meath anyway.

Wicklow mountains will get a dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temp just dropped from -2.2 in the space of half an hour...

Temperature: -3.1 °C
    Dew Point: -3.4 °C

Quite a frost settling.

• Advertisement

Persistent snow in parts of east for around 18 hours on this run :eek:

The low stalling and flowing precip in from the sea :D:D

Best locastions to be are on the outer of the bands but in the precip!

Dewpoints better on this run.

Only briefly hit 1c here for a short time during the precip, usually between 0 and -2c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement