Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

GFS 18z says yes, precip upto Louth.

Could be some decent accumalations as one moves inland from the coast.

A real desperate evening to be travelling.

Yep, 18z showing precip all the way up the east coast for tomorrow night.

OK, from the latest models, this looks like a near certainty. Only 24hrs out.

Hope I havn't jinxed it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Could be rain/sleet in Waterford, some of wexford. (dewpoints rising to 1-2c during precip) on this run.

Looks game for much of Dublin, Carlow, and the place that looks to be hit the worst, Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Could be rain/sleet in Waterford, some of wexford. (dewpoints rising to 1-2c during precip) on this run.

Looks game for much of Dublin, Carlow, and the place that looks to be hit the worst, Wicklow.

Kilkenny looks good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Post of the day.
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Should be in for a very seasonal Christmas Eve here judging by this run. Pity it would be so short lived, though I can't really complain can I :)

I really hope maquiladora gets something out of this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm confused, you originally said precip all the way up to Louth and then not further than Howth. More importantly, how does it look for my part of Meath? :D LOL I'm a hypocrite as I usually hate these kinds of posts constantly asking if it will snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Persistent snow in parts of east for around 18 hours on this run :eek:

The low stalling and flowing precip in from the sea :D:D

Best locastions to be are on the outer of the bands but in the precip!

Dewpoints better on this run.

Only briefly hit 1c here for a short time during the precip, usually between 0 and -2c

so some of you in the east and south east, who were exasperated at the snow being the other side of the country, may have the last laugh.

bastards:P

Super 18Z GFS run for the east and southeast, almost 24 hours of falling snow, could be about an inch in most places in the SE if that came off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not sure if we will get any snow in North Tipp going by the last run . . .

/wipes tear from eye.:(

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Fairplay, glad you guys on the south east in low levels are gona get some snow for a change ,it rarely snows down there i believe?

• Advertisement

Super 18Z GFS run for the east and southeast, almost 24 hours of falling snow, could be about an inch in most places in the SE if that came off.

An inch? if that 18z was to occur.. there would be well over 6 inches in lucky spots inland recieving precip.

rc28...... the howth thing was just my paranoia! BUT it doesnt look at the moment like getting further than south Louth.

However areas along the northern and western extent of the precip are the most desired for sticking snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Well ament I damn glad I kept my ticket for the rollercoaster ...................

An inch? if that 18z was to occur.. there would be well over 6 inches in lucky spots inland recieving precip.

rc28...... the howth thing was just my paranoia! BUT it doesnt look at the moment like getting further than south Louth.

However areas along the northern and western extent of the precip are the most desired for sticking snow.

Right WC - Any idea what time this is due to kick off - One kiddie is in Wexford tonight so need to go get her home tomo me thinks.........................

Around an inch in most places (dont want to jinx it by ramping :D ) but I agree more than that in spots, high ground for sure.

Pangea wrote: »
    Fairplay, glad you guys on the south east in low levels are gona get some snow for a change ,it rarely snows down there i believe?

I used to live outside Gorey - never got much snow as right beside the sea but my god were the roads a disaster - severe frosts all winter & in my 6 years living there could prob have counted on 1 hand the number of Gritters I saw on the N11 up. On a bad morning 3-4 hours to get to Bray which is max 1 hour !

Looks good for Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow, Kildare and much of Dublin ( although i would prefer to be in south Dublin than north Dublin).

Waterford and Wexford... abit iffy, sleety but potential for big falls of snow inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I still think I'm the only one wishing the snow would f*** off. I mean it's nice to look at, but as soon as you have to walk or drive somewhere, it becomes a huge pain in the ass and a massive headache.

and the place that looks to be hit the worst, Wicklow.
    :eek::eek::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its the heavy fog thats bugging me, never seen it as dense as i did today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is that precip in Kerry at the moment falling as snow? Anyone down that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looks good for Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow, Kildare and much of Dublin ( although i would prefer to be in south Dublin than north Dublin).

Waterford and Wexford... abit iffy, sleety but potential for big falls of snow inland.

What do you make of the netweather snow risk charts Weathercheck? They are not very confident for snow falling EXCEPT for areas well inland.... Carlow/Kilkenny etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I still think I'm the only one wishing the snow would f*** off. I mean it's nice to look at, but as soon as you have to walk or drive somewhere, it becomes a huge pain in the ass and a massive headache.
    If the kids are happy, I'm happy :D

Hard to know till the event starts to unfold but if this model run came off youd more than likely see some snow showers. Its going to be nowcasting hq here tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

well if this run came off then carlow, wicklow will get plastered with persistant snow.
    Its really close for me in east tipperary, the run shows precipitation over me for several hours but the problem is if it moves a little more east then i miss out, if it moves slightly west, then bingo.

For those in the east, ENJOY!:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'd kinda prefer too if it held off till late Christmas eve at this stage, much and all as I love it, it would disrupt already suffering business around retail which my income depends on! Been a tough enough year as is without the last few days of potential spend being taken away by sneachta!

Anyway, I'll get me coat...

Rougies wrote: »
    What do you make of the netweather snow risk charts Weathercheck? They are not very confident snow falling for areas well inland.... Carlow/Kilkenny etc..

They are not great for showing exact boundries of where precip may go, better to use them more like a broad, general kind of kind look at what may happen.

If the 18Z came off Carlow/Kilkenny would see snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

MUSEIST wrote: »

For those in the east, ENJOY!:D

I'm in Dublin and taking off tomorrow morning so I'm hoping to miss it.

Eveylyn Cusack is a born Ramper!! but if she's saying outbreaks of snow in the East and southeast tomorrow then you can be pretty sure theres support for that in the ecm ensemble to which we don't get access.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'm not liking this North cut off... I mean ffs, as I said yesterday, when it comes from the North or North West it doesn't make it over this far, now from the feckin South and it just misses us too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rougies wrote: »
    What do you make of the netweather snow risk charts Weathercheck? They are not very confident snow falling for areas well inland.... Carlow/Kilkenny etc..

Did someone not mention earlier in this thread that there to be taken with a pinch of Salt ?

I am hoping that Newbridge gets a good pasting, I would love to get down the curragh and get some great photos, Video clips

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement