Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

They are not great for showing exact boundries of where precip may go, better to use them more like a broad, general kind of kind look at what may happen.

If the 18Z came off Carlow/Kilkenny would see snow.

Sorry, I meant except for areas well inland....oops :o (post edited)
    But, point taken, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There is still snow on the hills of North Kilkenny, it has been never above freezing much of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

ill it snow in tipperary, will it......:confused:

....I'll get my coat:D

MUSEIST wrote: »

Lol, don't encourage them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

God no, I'd thought I'd escaped this thread and then like that film The perfect Storm all the ramping drags me back in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

MUSEIST wrote: »

Sorry but Kilkenny will :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

-2.5 And Falling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Miss wexford town again! ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So who would have bet 2 days ago of this being a chart at 7 days?

Bloomin hell!

Rtavn1501.png

Min wrote: »
    There is still snow on the hills of North Kilkenny, it has been never above freezing much of the time.
    Oh theres snow just inland from here too since last weeks easterlies that hasn't budged.
    The fields are completely white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have twenty quid at 4/1 on a white christmas. Different people tell me different things. One snowflake at Dublin Airport and then others say 1mm lying.

Question 1. Will dublin get it?

Question 2. Will it be enough?

A hundred quid is relying on this LOL

Come on, lets have yer...:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I'm getting excited about the chances of getting some snow in Waterford City tomorrow. As other posters on here have mentioned a few times we never get snow here. Thinking back to the last nice amount we got i think it was in 1995 or later than that. The City is 10km from the coast so hopefully the DP will stay low enough for us to get it. Its freezing mad here now with a temp of -3.2c.

Bloomin hell!

Rtavn1501.png
    Good lord :D
    It's FI though and the pub run :D

speaking of which...

Bloomin hell!

Rtavn1501.png

ahhhh, a thing of beauty it is indeed...:p

What happened to needing -5C or lower 850 temps for snow? They're not in place for tomorrow event. Also the dewpoints are looking very marginal for much of the east.

Am I missing something here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

-5 in Mitchelstown, Co. Cork now.
    Very clear sky. Hoping for snow tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There is utter wishful and nonsensical thinking going on in this thread.

Significant snow on Christmas? ONLY if you live on the Wicklow/Mourne mountains, and the high hills in Carlow/Kilkenny.

The synoptics seem good/likely for a hour's snow, maybe up to 3 hours at low areas in parts of Leinster. But where is this day's worth of snowfall coming from?!? There is no cold pool of air built up over this part of the world, just some cold surface air. Definitely will get in the way of the edge of the front and will make it snow but where are the numbers to support this??

My looking at GFS 18z tells me that there's not even going to be less than +2 Celcius dewpoints over any segment of the heavier rain forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rougies wrote: »
    What happened to needing -5C or lower 850 temps for snow? They're not in place for tomorrow event. Also the dewpoints are looking very marginal for much of the east.

You need 850hPa temperatures at -0.1c or lower for snowfall. In Ireland we prefer lower because it cancels out the warming effect of the seas.

Our current airmass is so cold that it is 0c or lower the whole way up, way up above the clouds too. Anything that falls will be snow. The very costal margins might be wet snow because of the effect of sea-salt in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Absolutely bizarre conditions in south Meath. I have never never seen a frost like there was at 20:30 this evening. Everything crystal white. Even the road was white, with recessed tyre tracks in it. It appeared to a covering of ice crystals that seemed to be accumulating to a perceptable depth, like a covering of snow. Like moisture in the air is freezing into crystals on contact with surface. No clouds, no fog, clear sky, not a flake has fallen in a few days, but it looked as amazing as a covering of snow. Car was only parked 3 hours, and it too was frozen solid.

It wasn't so blo0dy amazing though trying to drive back up the N3 through the road works after the first few oncoming trucks had deposits clouds of muck on the windscreen :mad: No way of clearing it off when its that cold, could see feck all.

10 miles down the road towards Blanchardstown no sign of frost or ice :confused:
    Surprised there seems to be no frost in north west Dublin, seemed like a fairly mild evening when I stopped to sort out the windscreen. Some frost on the southside though.

Guards seem to have run out of recovery vehicles. There was a rolled car abandoned in a lane of the N3 dual carraigeway just inbound of the M50 causing a traffic snarl up, usually the Guards recover them immediatley rather just leaving them there.

There is utter wishful and nonsensical thinking going on in this thread.

Significant snow on Christmas? ONLY if you live on the Wicklow/Mourne mountains, and the high hills in Carlow/Kilkenny.

The synoptics seem good/likely for a hour's snow, maybe up to 3 hours at low areas in parts of Leinster. But where is this day's worth of snowfall coming from?!? There is no cold pool of air built up over this part of the world, just some cold surface air. Definitely will get in the way of the edge of the front and will make it snow but where are the numbers to support this??

My looking at GFS 18z tells me that there's not even going to be less than +2 Celcius dewpoints over any segment of the heavier rain forecast.
    Are you disagree'ing with the Great Eveylyn Cusack at 930 on RTE :pac:

Her words were outbreaks of snow in the East followed by snow showers.
    Those were her words not mine,now WC's :)

I'll believe it when I see it too but for a forecast like that you need back up from the mighty ECM ensembles and we don't have access to them.
    ME does :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Just back from arklow, car says 0c.. Is wicklow going to get some snow tomorrow.?

Danno wrote: »
    You need 850hPa temperatures at -0.1c or lower for snowfall. In Ireland we prefer lower because it cancels out the warming effect of the seas.

Our current airmass is so cold that it is 0c or lower the whole way up, way up above the clouds too. Anything that falls will be snow. The very costal margins might be wet snow because of the effect of sea-salt in the air.
    Correct :)

mad DIY wrote: »
    Absolutely bizarre conditions in south Meath. I have never never seen a frost like there was at 20:30 this evening. Everything crystal white. Even the road was white, with recessed tyre tracks in it. It appeared to a covering of ice crystals that seemed to be accumulating to a perceptable depth, like a covering of snow. Like moisture in the air is freezing into crystals on contact with surface. No clouds, no fog, clear sky, not a flake has fallen in a few days, but it looked as amazing as a covering of snow. Car was only parked 3 hours, and it too was frozen solid.

It wasn't so blo0dy amazing though trying to drive back up the N3 through the road works after the first few oncoming trucks had deposits clouds of muck on the windscreen :mad: No way of clearing it off when its that cold, could see feck all.

10 miles down the road towards Blanchardstown no sign of frost or ice :confused:
    Surprised there seems to be no frost in north west Dublin, seemed like a fairly mild evening when I stopped to sort out the windscreen. Some frost on the southside though.

Guards seem to have run out of recovery vehicles. There was a rolled car abandoned in a lane of the N3 dual carraigeway just inbound of the M50 causing a traffic snarl up, usually the Guards recover them immediatley rather just leaving them there.

Yep, i have the ssame thing, never seen any thing like it before.
    Its just frost but everything is covered in white with tiny ice crystalls in the fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Was sub-zero and frosty a little bit further east around Glasnevin with white footpaths at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Yes fantastic frost here this evening - there was no precipitation today so I don't know where all the fresh moisture came from for there to be so much ice all of a sudden.

I don't want people to be dissappointed tomorrow when/if it sleets rather than snows so it's best not to expect anything. The precip charts show this mainly as a sleet event but I don't know if they can be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Rougies wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing myself. I can't see it happening but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does!:)

Danno wrote: »

Ok, thanks Danno. Makes sense.

Still not liking the DPs though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

When the lass from Clonaslee says it will snow, it will snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Drive to and from work was slow on the minor roads. They were and still are like an ice rink. Never seen ice like it on the roads. No reasonable thaw today either.

Main roads were absolutely fine with no problems.

Not as cold as last night but with no thaw today they will be dodgy again in the morning in West Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

rc28 wrote: »
    Yes fantastic frost here this evening - there was no precipitation today so I don't know where all the fresh moisture came from for there to be so much ice all of a sudden.

I don't want people to be dissappointed tomorrow when/if it sleets rather than snows so it's best not to expect anything. The precip charts show this mainly as a sleet event but I don't know if they can be trusted.

Whether it snows or not, I have at last seen something out this cold spell that I would class as remarkable :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement