Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rougies wrote: »
    Ok, thanks Danno. Makes sense.

Still not liking the DPs though.....

Dewpoints might rise slightly just before it begins to snow, but will drop nicely within a quarter of an hour of it starting due to descending air. If you are in a marginal area, the front might bring 20 minutes of sleet/wet snow before the air cools enough to sustain snow the last few metres down to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Is that precip in Kerry at the moment falling as snow? Anyone down that way?

Am in North Kerry. Nothing falling at all, weird as the map is showing heavy rain/sleet/snow??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Danno wrote: »
    Dewpoints might rise slightly just before it begins to snow, but will drop nicely within a quarter of an hour of it starting due to descending air. If you are in a marginal area, the front might bring 20 minutes of sleet/wet snow before the air cools enough to sustain snow the last few metres down to the ground.

Yeah, I witnessed that happening here last Feb. But that was with convective showers from the Irish Sea, which as far as know have a "downdraft". I'm wondering if the effect is as pronounced in frontal systems? And the GFS obviously does not take this into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

what is falling in Kerry at the moment, rain or snow or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

what is falling in Kerry at the moment, rain or snow or what?

would love to know too! looks heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What a weird night.

Was raining an hour ago, footpaths treacherous. Gave up on looking out.

It snowed in the last half hour!

Wayhay!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

BBC is usually accurate but are predicting rain for east coast tomorrow 9pm...see the sequence in the link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

They cant be right, can they:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I don't see it happening in the east/southeast, apart from high ground maybe. :(

I think the models are overplaying the precipitation tomorrow night/thursday morning, and are bringing it too far north. Apart from some limited low-level instability generating some flimsy showers along Irish Sea coasts south of Wicklow, there is no hint at any upper support for prolonged convective activity.

Isentropic lift is a possible precip maker, but GFS forecast soundings are giving thick surface layers of positive temperatures and dewpoints, too thick for snow methinks. We can get away with max a 600ft layer of above-zero air, but in some cases this is 1500ft. With wet bulb temperatures above zero too this screams to me of a non-event. Any precipitation generated aloft will melt before reaching the surface. Of course that's my opinion going on a quick scan of the situation - Evelyn & Co. obviously knows something I don't and I'm sure this time Thursday I'll be left with egg on my face! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Ordinary winters night here in West Donegal, 1 degree with drizzle. No hail or snow for a few hours now.

yr.no is predicting -7 here on Christmas Eve/Christmas morning and -9 for letterkenny. See post here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mad DIY wrote: »
    Absolutely bizarre conditions in south Meath. I have never never seen a frost like there was at 20:30 this evening. Everything crystal white. Even the road was white, with recessed tyre tracks in it. It appeared to a covering of ice crystals that seemed to be accumulating to a perceptable depth, like a covering of snow. Like moisture in the air is freezing into crystals on contact with surface. No clouds, no fog, clear sky, not a flake has fallen in a few days, but it looked as amazing as a covering of snow. Car was only parked 3 hours, and it too was frozen solid.

Yeah, same thing all over Waterford the past few days. Footpaths (even some in the city centre) have half an inch thick of accumulated frost, and I saw a line of cars parked outside a dealership that had the same on them. I'm working up in Kilkenny, so I figured I might have been missing some snow showers, but more than one person told me that there has been absolutely no snow in the city since it turned cold - so what we're looking at is just accumulated frost.

Just like yourself, I've never seen anything like it! :D

It wasn't so blo0dy amazing though trying to drive back up the N3 through the road works after the first few oncoming trucks had deposits clouds of muck on the windscreen :mad: No way of clearing it off when its that cold, could see feck all.

Seriously, get yourself a bottle of low-temperature screenwash with ethanol and glycol in it, and mix it 1:1 with water. I made sure to do that after a mucky drive to KK on Monday. You should be able to wash your windscreen then. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

very light snow here in south kerry, just started

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

AntiRip wrote: »
    Am in North Kerry. Nothing falling at all, weird as the map is showing heavy rain/sleet/snow??:confused:

Falling as Heavy rain with some soft snow mixed in. Roads are now soaking and the rain is freezing on contact. Tomorow will be :eek:. Wish it was snow at low levels as I have have had no snow from this cold spell:( Mountains will look nice though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Whether it snows or not, I have at last seen something out this cold spell that I would class as remarkable :)

what's also remarkable about this airmass is in a normal situation the sea temperatures in the atlantic would have modified the wintryness potentital of the airmass after a couple of days resulting in all the showers in the north and west turning to sleet and rain but not this time!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I really can't believe the frost cover around here tonight too, amazing looking.

Also amazing to read comments on the 18z over on TWO, it really does look like we get two days not-so-cold before back to something similar to now... the 1st of Jan looking like an especially Happy New Year for snow fans! (if it happens of course) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Su Campu wrote: »
    I don't see it happening in the east/southeast, apart from high ground maybe. :(

I think the models are overplaying the precipitation tomorrow night/thursday morning, and are bringing it too far north. Apart from some limited low-level instability generating some flimsy showers along Irish Sea coasts south of Wicklow, there is no hint at any upper support for prolonged convective activity.

Isentropic lift is a possible precip maker, but GFS forecast soundings are giving thick surface layers of positive temperatures and dewpoints, too thick for snow methinks. We can get away with max a 600ft layer of above-zero air, but in some cases this is 1500ft. With wet bulb temperatures above zero too this screams to me of a non-event. Any precipitation generated aloft will melt before reaching the surface. Of course that's my opinion going on a quick scan of the situation - Evelyn & Co. obviously knows something I don't and I'm sure this time Thursday I'll be left with egg on my face! :P

Great stuff! I don't know what Isentropic Lift is, but if I ever start up a band - that's what they'll be called. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

Snowing heavy here the last 20 min good cover forming best snow since saturday nite:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Since I've been at work today I am very behind. Can anyone fill me in on what's expected in Dublin over the next day or so?

burkieboy wrote: »
    Snowing heavy here the last 20 min good cover forming best snow since saturday nite:D:D

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

not a chance of it coming here it seems:(

Aberdeen seems to be get a pasting tonight - there was also a lot of snow up there during the day too, according to the bbc news.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Since I've been at work today I am very behind. Can anyone fill me in on what's expected in Dublin over the next day or so?

The experts are disagreeing about the type of precipitation that will fall in the east. so you'll just have to wait and see which of them is vindicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fausto Miño

Temp went up to 5' in the last half hour in West Mayo, a light west wind blowing, and yea, we are just inside the coastline,
    So precipitation or no, won't matter here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

not a chance of it coming here it seems:(

Aberdeen seems to be get a pasting tonight - there was also a lot of snow up there during the day too, according to the bbc news.

About an inch has fell but its slowy fading:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Fairly heavy rain here in donegal town. If this freezes we are in bother !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Absolutely bizarre conditions in south Meath. I have never never seen a frost like there was at 20:30 this evening. Everything crystal white. Even the road was white, with recessed tyre tracks in it. It appeared to a covering of ice crystals that seemed to be accumulating to a perceptable depth, like a covering of snow. Like moisture in the air is freezing into crystals on contact with surface. No clouds, no fog, clear sky, not a flake has fallen in a few days, but it looked as amazing as a covering of snow. Car was only parked 3 hours, and it too was frozen solid.

It wasn't so blo0dy amazing though trying to drive back up the N3 through the road works after the first few oncoming trucks had deposits clouds of muck on the windscreen :mad: No way of clearing it off when its that cold, could see feck all.

10 miles down the road towards Blanchardstown no sign of frost or ice :confused:
    Surprised there seems to be no frost in north west Dublin, seemed like a fairly mild evening when I stopped to sort out the windscreen. Some frost on the southside though.

Guards seem to have run out of recovery vehicles. There was a rolled car abandoned in a lane of the N3 dual carraigeway just inbound of the M50 causing a traffic snarl up, usually the Guards recover them immediatley rather just leaving them there.

Thats what we have had since Sunday morning & its hasnt thawed. No snow but this everlasting whiteness... Its layers upon layers now - totally treacherous just outside the house - im sliding the car in & out the driveway... But its only outside mine & next door on the road - everyone else is normal - very weird

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No; you are not, although I would not use that language myself.

With almost no heating and running out of fuel.. Making me ill now. Literally so. Just too cold for too long.

But wishing avails not.

Sigh.
    I still think I'm the only one wishing the snow would f*** off. I mean it's nice to look at, but as soon as you have to walk or drive somewhere, it becomes a huge pain in the ass and a massive headache.

Super 18Z GFS run for the east and southeast, almost 24 hours of falling snow, could be about an inch in most places in the SE if that came off.

Sorry, Ive missed some of the thread, can you tell me when this forecast is for? is it tonight or tomorrow?

Thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Currently Temp 2.6 ; DP -.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Jake1 wrote: »
    Sorry, Ive missed some of the thread, can you tell me when this forecast is for? is it tonight or tomorrow?

Thanks .

Later tomorrow into Christmas Eve. Still uncertain of course!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looking at the Sky news weather , there saying this mild front should bring temps of 4-5c and will we more than likely wont see a white xmas in Ireland and UK .

It has been an epic couple of weeks here , I only got about 1mm of snow , but I defiantly feel that this winter will deliver at some stage and I will get my good covering !

Temp -0.7c

Dp -1.9

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish1967 wrote: »
    Fairly heavy rain here in donegal town. If this freezes we are in bother !!!

Was raining in Convoy at 10, but heavy snow at half 10.30. Its back to near the levels it was on Saturday night. If it freezes hard later it will be treacherous when it starts thawing.

Starting to get foggy here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Ordinary winters night here in West Donegal, 1 degree with drizzle. No hail or snow for a few hours now.

yr.no is predicting -7 here on Christmas Eve/Christmas morning and -9 for letterkenny. See post here

The sky is clear and its freezing now, you'd break your neck on the road outside..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement