Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gee... well at least then would not be cold anymore...:D
    The sky is clear and its freezing now, you'd break your neck on the road outside..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

-3.6 And Dropping :L

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Marginal tomorrow but Carlow could see some nice snow

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

and now the forecast for atlantic microclimatic coastal extremities.

a relatively cool night with a light westerly wind . temperatures around 3 or 4 degrees , possibly touching 0 near dawm with a slight frost.
    tomorrow will be a bright cold day with temperatures around 3 or 4 degrees. The odd light rain shower. Rain crossing the extremities on friday, possibly falling as sleet on higher ground. temperatures intially 3 to 5 but quickly rising to 6 or 7 by evening.

have a happy wet mucky coastal extremity xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ordinary winters night here in West Donegal, 1 degree with drizzle. No hail or snow for a few hours now.

yr.no is predicting -7 here on Christmas Eve/Christmas morning and -9 for letterkenny. See post here
    what is yr.no?
    I didnt think it could get to -9 in donegal?
    Every time u see met eireanns forecast it shows the lowest temps being way inland, but in saying that i heard someone say it was -6 in their car temperture thing here. what do u guys think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Pangea wrote: »
    what is yr.no?
    Every time u see met eireanns forecast it shows the lowest temps being way inland, but in saying that i heard someone say it was -6 in their car temperture thing here. what do u guys think?

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Donegal/Letterkenny/detailed_long.html

It does seem unbelievable alright but thats whats it predicts. showing -8 now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

what is yr.no?

Norwegian Meteorological Institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Text typing.. sigh

I suspect that at this altitude the temperature is much lower anyways. It was what I noticed when I first came here.

Anything is possible frankly.

Apart from feeling warm of course.
    what is yr.no?

Oh thanks for that, is that site reliable ?, they obviously must have thermometers in those towns? its pretty accurate , it shows tempertures for the past day at different times aswell.

Oh thanks for that, is that site reliable ?, they obviously must have thermometers in those towns? its pretty accurate , it shows tempertures for the past day at different times aswell.

They use the ECM model which is the same medium range model that Met Eireann use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

A good fall of snow here earlier.Touching the bottom of the car on the road and up to your ankle or shins in parts too.Very bad.

Freezing really hard now though,not a cloud in the sky.Its going to be lethal tomorrow morning:eek:

They use the ECM model which is the same medium range model that Met Eireann use.
    Really, wow thats great, it seems like a very useful website. Its weird how they are in norway and getting so much detailed information on our towns, i wonder do they use their own theremormeters or is ecm some sort of prediction thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Do they have a projected model of the link above maybe showing a few hours ahead or just this one that runs to real time ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm thinking settling snow tomorrow is unlikely below maybe 500 metres intially dropping maybe to 200 or a bit lower in heavier bursts before it clears.
    I would be very surprised if people within a few km of the coast have any settling snow though might get some sleet/wet snow for an hour or so before it clears if the precip is heavy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

A good fall of snow here earlier.Touching the bottom of the car on the road and up to your ankle or shins in parts too.Very bad.

Freezing really hard now though,not a cloud in the sky.Its going to be lethal tomorrow morning:eek:
    Really , ur lucky , Leitir Ceanainn is the place to be then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

what is falling in Kerry at the moment, rain or snow or what?

Just drove up from Valentia island and it was raining, but the back roads on the Island were pure ice. All the ways up it was mixture of sleet/wet snow, and going over mountain road between Killorglin and Tralee, it was snowing pretty heavy, but thats a good couple of hundred feet asl. Atm it has kinda stopped, and its getting a bit foggy out there. I dunno if it feels like it is warming up though

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Donegal/Letterkenny/detailed_long.html

It does seem unbelievable alright but thats whats it predicts. showing -8 now
    Thanks for that, the forecast for the run up to new years is promising :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm thinking settling snow tomorrow is unlikely below maybe 500 metres intially dropping maybe to 200 or a bit lower in heavier bursts before it clears.
    I would be very surprised if people within a few km of the coast have any settling snow though might get some sleet/wet snow for an hour or so before it clears if the precip is heavy.

I would've thought the same going by the models. But for once Met Eireann seem to be more optimistic than us :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Raining here in Enniskillen, doesn't feel as cold outside either as the past few days have been, recon the temp is about 2 -3 deg.

opr wrote: »
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Do they have a projected model of the link above maybe showing a few hours ahead or just this one that runs to real time ?

Opr

Just type in the name of your location and you should see an animated forecast on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

just posted this link in case people are unaware of it. gives you an idea of the weather conditions around the country. it is updated electronically throughout the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

As soon as I leave of course:rolleyes:

It was getting annoying having to walk through the ice to be fair but still, Id love to see a proper bit of snow for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Way haaayy!!! she came back:))))) I've been offline since just after the 1000th post and gee I missed you guys did I. Finally got the internet up and running again now. Technichal difficulties - nothing to do with the thunder & lightening last night and the night before. Altho it was scary I will say, kee hee. Local womanizer - we've nothing like you have you have there in Letterkenny as regards snow, and such a short distance away too. It's Just freeeezing here. The rain and sleet and hail replaced the snow all day today. I have one question tho ..... what in under gods earth were ya doin out in the bitter cold in snow up to your ankles out beside the the car?????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Raining in Galway & 1.5C on car thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

according to the radio forecast at five to 12 only ulster will likely see snow on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

great website and what a bonus to learn that you can get local weather forecasts too!

clonsilla: http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Dublin/Clonsilla/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Really , ur lucky , Leitir Ceanainn is the place to be then!

Its always like this when ever there is snow!
    Harps wrote: »
    As soon as I leave of course:rolleyes:

It was getting annoying having to walk through the ice to be fair but still, Id love to see a proper bit of snow for a change

Aye,its grand for a week or 2.
    Rodar08 wrote: »
    Local womanizer - we've nothing like you have you have there in Letterkenny as regards snow, and such a short distance away too. It's Just freeeezing here. The rain and sleet and hail replaced the snow all day today. I have one question tho ..... what in under gods earth were ya doin out in the bitter cold in snow up to your ankles out beside the the car?????????????

See,thats the problem,I live fairly high up,we will always get snow,without fail.We could go down town and not a drop and people would be thinking "where did them eijiits come from?!" when they see the car covered!

Unfortunatly I had to go out to pick people up,twas a bit of craic all the same!

I will get pics tomorrow for yous all,need to get the camera working again.And its looking like a white xmas for Donegal:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

It's a knife edge starting wednesday evening.

Here's current Hirlam precip model done in 2 hr intervals starting at 6pm.hopefully this is snow but away from coasts i think so.

prec_nordeuro-12.gif

prec_nordeuro-14.gif

prec_nordeuro-16.gif

prec_nordeuro-18.gif

prec_nordeuro-20.gif

prec_nordeuro-22.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

-5.5 in the car coming into work this morning, not for the faint hearted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

-5.5 in the car coming into work this morning, not for the faint hearted

Work? I'm only going to bed! :)

The core of that precipitation just hangs over wexford town all day but i just know it's gonna be rain :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement