Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

It's an impressive -2.7C in Maynooth this morning. I haven't been out myself yet, but the wall of cold that came in when I let the cat out for his morning constitutional sent me back upstairs for an extra layer or two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

-1.3 just south of Drogheda, very heavy frost.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met E forecast a bit more mutted this morning:

Scattered wintry showers will occur along on parts of the west and north coasts and rain or sleet will develop in southern coastal areas with some snow developing inland in southern and southeastern coastal counties. Top temperatures 0 to +2 degrees in many areas but 5 or 6 degrees on southern coastal fringes.

Tonight

Rain or sleet tonight in southern and eastern coastal areas with some falls of snow further inland at times but clearing eastwards later in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

See the Ulster forecast though..

Today

Frosty and icy with freezing fog this morning. Scattered wintry showers on the coast but many places dry and bright but ice and fog will linger in some parts. Top temperatures of 0 to 2 degrees inland.

Tonight

Tonight: Mainly dry, bitterly cold with frosty, icy conditions and some freezing fog also. Overnight lows of -3 to -8 degrees inland.

Tomorrow

Christmas Eve: Very cold, mostly dry with some sunny spells but ice and fog persisting in some places.

And the only snow on the map is sitting over Donegal.

nat00_weather.png

The lying snow up here is still fairly intact. A little less robust than y'day.
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    Met E forecast a bit more mutted this morning:

Scattered wintry showers will occur along on parts of the west and north coasts and rain or sleet will develop in southern coastal areas with some snow developing inland in southern and southeastern coastal counties. Top temperatures 0 to +2 degrees in many areas but 5 or 6 degrees on southern coastal fringes.

Tonight

Rain or sleet tonight in southern and eastern coastal areas with some falls of snow further inland at times but clearing eastwards later in the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

After my overnight min of -3.2C at 1830 the temp fluctuated around -1C until it dropped to -2.4C at 0400, then it rose to +1.2C at 0530.
    Currently -1.5C and falling.
    The grass min is at its overnight low of -9C so I may see -3C yet this morning.

5cm soil temp is still above zero at +0.2C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal bypass gritted and seems relatively ok. BUT the small road outside my house is the slippiest I have ever seen it. Can't even stand on it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

That south east precip for this evening is looking fairly light now according to sky news weather:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Take care! Christmas in plaster is not a good thought.

Just checked AA roadwatch; Gardai are reporting very icy roads ..advising great caution especially on secondary routes.

Well, I guess that rules out any shopping; with limited mobility getting stranded is not an option.

Still solid snow on the lane here. No idea what like it is further down.
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Donegal bypass gritted and seems relatively ok. BUT the small road outside my house is the slippiest I have ever seen it. Can't even stand on it !!

Mothman wrote: »
    After my overnight min of -3.2C at 1830 the temp fluctuated around -1C until it dropped to -2.4C at 0400, then it rose to +1.2C at 0530.
    Currently -1.5C and falling.
    The grass min is at its overnight low of -9C so I may see -3C yet this morning.

5cm soil temp is still above zero at +0.2C
    min of -4.9c here

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

-6 in Offaly this morning, drive to dublin was 'Fun'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Only slightly milder for Christmas Day and Stephens Day - then we reload the cold. Outlook models look very wintery once again. We could be on the brink of a prolonged cold spell - everything is pointing towards it from the 27th onward.

redsunset wrote: »
    That south east precip for this evening is looking fairly light now according to sky news weather:mad:
    A minimum of 4 miles inland for snow too I'd say up this way and high ground a help.
    High ground only in waterford probably.
    rh is very high and ergo so are dp's relative to temps,

so at least on the coast...when the temp goes to 1c,the dp will be above zero supporting just a sleety rain mix there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement