Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Agreed.. according to the Urban Dictionary

ROOVES:

The plural of roof for people old enough to read the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language, in fact old enough to know that the real Napoleon was not Dynamite or a brandy.
    Hoi polloi live under roofs and civilized men live under rooves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Massive downgrade on that potential snow event for tomorrow in the latest GFS run :(

Sleet is the best most can expect. There is still a chance of snow tomorrow night along western parts. I think this scenario will all change again int he next run at 3.30pm.

By the way, nobody should get disappointed as things will change.

99697.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS is a downgrade for snow potential Wednesday.

Looks like rain for the east, sleet inland and maybe some snow on high ground in the southwest.

Thursday morning look more like rain/sleet than snow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

has turned back to snow here - finally!! it's falling at reasonable rate too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Getting some good heavy snow from that 'clump' here for the last 45 mins or so. Between this, what didn't thaw yesterday and what it made last night theres easily a few cms on the ground now.

Roads around here have been very bad since last friday nite. They haven't been gritted once, apparently when contacted Roscommon coco basically said they dont have the money to grit out here despite: the road being a national secondary route, at least 2 cars being written off that I know of and on Saturday a CIE bus sliding straight across the road and hitting a parked car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irish1967 wrote: »
    Agreed.. according to the Urban Dictionary

ROOVES:

The plural of roof for people old enough to read the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language, in fact old enough to know that the real Napoleon was not Dynamite or a brandy.
    Hoi polloi live under roofs and civilized men live under rooves.

Well excuuuse me! Ya it's easy know i had an excellent education:P:D It'll always be ROOVES to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Looks like rain for the east, sleet inland and maybe some snow on high ground in the southwest.

due to the wind track, low ground to the northwest would have the best chance of seeing snow out of that . although the northwest will probably stay fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What a forecasters nightmare for tomorrow for the east!

Could be a dumping of snow or could be a wet mess!

GFS 6z is no downgrade as far as i can see unless of course you are using stupid snow prediction automatic things which are pointless.

Check the dewpoints.

Again the same..

Dewpoints rise to 1/2c for a time near the coast. For me, they are -3c before the precip arrives and shoot up to 1c then back to 0c and downward on Thursday morning. It is that knife edge and precipitation intensity may be a winning factor.

Very intriguing outlook and i certainly would not envy the Met tonight.

If they mess up could ruin many peoples intended travel arrangements.

I mean the 23rd of December rush hour exodus from Dublin is probably the biggest of the year.

It is predicting snow for the entire east coast now in the late afternoon and evening on xmas eve

due to the wind track, low ground to the northwest would have the best chance of seeing snow out of that . although the northwest will probably stay fine

Yeah looks like the NW will stay dry. It all looks like rain or very marginal for most parts but I'm sure high ground will do well in places.

• Advertisement

Check the dewpoints.
    weather. where is the dewpoints graph on the netweather site? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Thursday morning look more like rain/sleet than snow too.

whats it like into the future? any more cold weather after the 26th?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looking very dark and heavy towards Town?

Clear and sunny up here; every twig is heavily lined with snow.

The mountains are white and a glory in the sun.

Lane solid snow/ice, but a car went down...

I'm watching that lovely big bank of cloud that has circled round the top of Scotland and is heading down our way.

has not got that far yet. still on xmas day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

What are these GFS things?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Looking very dark and heavy towards Town?

Clear and sunny up here; every twig is heavily lined with snow.

The mountains are white and a glory in the sun.

Lane solid snow/ice, but a car went down...

That big grey cloud is a down over Ballyshannon direction... clear and blue here in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

has turned back to snow here - finally!! it's falling at reasonable rate too.:)

Well done Nacho! :) Your shower is doing its best to descend down over me as it is very dark in my northern sky but as usual it just seems to be dissolving as it tracks south.

The sun is low enough to shine under the shower cloud though so as a result the is a very strange orange hue to everything. It just adds to the aesthetics of the morning. Temp continues to rise rapidly though, now up to -0.4c.

What a forecasters nightmare for tomorrow for the east!

Could be a dumping of snow or could be a wet mess!

GFS 6z is no downgrade as far as i can see unless of course you are using stupid snow prediction automatic things which are pointless.

Check the dewpoints.

Again the same..

Dewpoints rise to 1/2c for a time near the coast. For me, they are -3c before the precip arrives and shoot up to 1c then back to 0c and downward on Thursday morning. It is that knife edge and precipitation intensity may be a winning factor.

Very intriguing outlook and i certainly would not envy the Met tonight.

If they mess up could ruin many peoples intended travel arrangements.

I mean the 23rd of December rush hour exodus from Dublin is probably the biggest of the year.
    Lamb doyles and higher I'd say in the Dublin area and maybe wet snow for Dundrum across to sandyford,Ballinteer,Rathfranham,Tallaght and areas inbetween.
    Wet or not it will settle.

I've seen it snowing in Goatstown in these types of marginal set ups with rainy sleet falling in UCD and of course in town.
    I'm expecting rainy sleet here but I havent far to travel to get up to the good stuff I s'pose - about 4 miles to 1000ft asl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Munster, I know how you feel. Don't you ever feel like we're chasing rainbows, and where to dig for the crock o' gold? It always slips tantalisingly out of reach. *Goes back to looking at GFS model*....

BTW there is a big blob of precipitation heading into the west midlands at the moment, any further reports on how this is progressing? It is dark to my north right now, with the sun shining on my back....

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Predictive weather charts. Link here
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with class etc

That's true because Jonathon Ross pronounces it "Woofs"

• Advertisement

Well said Leahyl

It is actually a variant spelling... So you are both right. Nothing to do with class etc

Oxford seeks to standardise and loses all variants

( Hons Eng degree and published poet..)
    leahyl wrote: »
    Well excuuuse me! Ya it's easy know i had an excellent education:P:D It'll always be ROOVES to me!

Dew points look + or marginal in the southeast and most of the east for Wednesday night until Thursday morning but the heaviest precip looks to arrive before then.

Looks messy, but its only one run, can all change before then.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Global forecasting system.
    It's a widely used worldwide American numerical weather programme that takes in rakes of weather now information from round the world and extrapolates a forecast from it.
    the programme is "run" a few times a day so you sometimes see people refering here to the 6z run which is the run of the programme they do with the information cut off point before 6am.
    It's publically available a few hours after each run.
    theres a thread explanation in this forum if you look.

At least thousands of kids got an early holiday up here

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/12/22/school-closure-list-latest/

Ah thanks.. still trying to orientate myself up here; only one direction I cannot see over.

Really a huge cloud though.. Glorious day up here.

quote=irish1967;63609005]That big grey cloud is a down over Ballyshannon direction... clear and blue here in town.[/quote]

At least thousands of kids got an early holiday up here

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/12/22/school-closure-list-latest/

[FONT=&quot]"Doddy’s Buses not running"[/FONT] :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Massive downgrade on that potential snow event for tomorrow in the latest GFS run :(

Sleet is the best most can expect. There is still a chance of snow tomorrow night along western parts. I think this scenario will all change again int he next run at 3.30pm.

By the way, nobody should get disappointed as things will change.

99697.jpg

sleet with 0c maxes dont think so!:D

lol

with no radio or TV that means little but is still funny!t

That's true because Jonathon Ross pronounces it "Woofs"[/quote]

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]"Doddy’s Buses not running"[/FONT] :D

I laughed out loud at that... not sure why though ! lol

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    sleet with 0c maxes dont think so!:D
    Hope so Owen. I cannot find the link on the NW site to the dew points. Can you send it on please. Thanks. Weathercheck seems to want to keep the link a secret ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement