Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well done Nacho! :) Your shower is doing its best to descend down over me as it is very dark in my northern sky but as usual it just seems to be dissolving as it tracks south.

The sun is low enough to shine under the shower cloud though so as a result the is a very strange orange hue to everything. It just adds to the aesthetics of the morning. Temp continues to rise rapidly though, now up to -0.4c.

yes the sunrise this morning was spectacular set against the snow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jeepers; that is some list.

Just seen the farmer's two kids ( he lives at a distance but has a barn up here) sledging on feed sacks when he came up to feed stock..

09058]At least thousands of kids got an early holiday up here

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/12/22/school-closure-list-latest/[/quote]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hope so Owen. I cannot find the link on the NW site to the dew points. Can you send it on please. Thanks. Weathercheck seems to want to keep the link a secret ;)

the live links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

owenc wrote: »
    the live links?

the predictive ones if possible. Was hoping to check the predicted dew points for Midwest tomorrow during the precip. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Am I the only one hoping the snow and ice goes away?

I'm due to drive back to the north tomorrow and the roads seem dodgy. I usually head off the M1 at Ardee and go past Carrickmacross and into Castleblayney via the N2 there. Not sure but I think it's bad.

Am just wondering if I should stay on the M1 and head home via Newry instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hope so Owen. I cannot find the link on the NW site to the dew points. Can you send it on please. Thanks. Weathercheck seems to want to keep the link a secret ;)

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datmdlout.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Surface temps as that shallow low impacts on the east coast on Wed:

99702.gif

99701.gif

(Green =0c to -5c; Yellow =0c to +5c).

Source: http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

While is does look marginal, I'd not rule out intensity induced snow even on the coastline. Still early days yet though in forecasting terms. Who knows, maybe even more upgrades in later runs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Snowing nicely here, keep it coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Morning all!

Woke up to a solid white landscape this morning. it took the car 20+ minutes with heater on full blast to loosen the 2 inch thick frozen hail/snow off the car. Even 40 minutes driving didn't loosen the stuff on the roof!!!

Sligo Town seems clear. The Dromahair road was an icerink this morning and actually turned back but gathered nerve and went again! (had to get hubby to work, get car serviced for nct first week Jan, leave back overdue DVD's etc :D:D:D)

Temp in car -1.5c in dromahair this morning.

Asked hubby for garden theometer for Christmas ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Snowing nicely here, keep it coming :D

Wow, I thought right enough, the clouds I left behind in Dromahair looked promising!! drat, should have stayed at home :( despite all the things i had motivating me this morning :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dew points on the 6z run, again just one run.

The temps all depend on the track of the low and onshore wind etc.

Dew points during precip

36-101.GIF?22-6

39-101.GIF?22-6

42-101.GIF?22-6

45-101.GIF?22-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

well the minus temperatures should help yis, if what is happening here goes your way there will be a big fall its snowing none stop since 8 this morning and it has dropped bout ten inches since 12 last night,

but I think yis will get plenty anyways the cold snap does not seem to be moving away to soon.

I feel much the same; it is beautiful, but we need to be able to travel safely and easily.

And hardship is also very real; imagine bein homeless at this time.

The real crux is of course that no one here can affect or change it anyways.:)
    All everyone is doing here is recording and predictingand that can only help.

Hoping that you get advice and travel safely; AA roadwatch have advice and also any regional newsrooms.

See

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

Reading eg this..
    http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/temperatures-may-drop-to-6c-tonight-439248.html

I'm due to drive back to the north tomorrow and the roads seem dodgy. I usually head off the M1 at Ardee and go past Carrickmacross and into Castleblayney via the N2 there. Not sure but I think it's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-2 here and it is nearly the middle of the day. really thick fog also.

will be heading out soon should get some photos

yes of course stick to the main roads even it's longer you'll get there quicker than driving on secondary roads which could well be untreated. the main roads will be gritted and with the volume of traffic on them they should be okay by day.

Dew points on the 6z run, again just one run.

The temps all depend on the track of the low and onshore wind etc.

Dew points during precip

36-101.GIF?22-6

39-101.GIF?22-6

42-101.GIF?22-6

45-101.GIF?22-6

it looks good for the midlands if the precipitation makes it that far on either day.

nice shower heading this way. Hopefully it doesn't fizzle out in the meantime Web_radar.gif

Organised band of showers on the way to North as well. Looking at the wind direction it will probably head SE across NI from Derry to Down

FROM RTE
    Met Éireann is forecasting that temperatures tomorrow night could fall to as low as -8C.

Donegal and Sligo are currently the only two counties where Met Éireann has registered temperatures above 0C.

fintonie wrote: »
    well the minus temperatures should help yis, if what is happening here goes your way there will be a big fall its snowing none stop since 8 this morning and it has dropped bout ten inches since 12 last night,

but I think yis will get plenty anyways the cold snap does not seem to be moving away to soon.

Do you live in Bolton?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-8 possible according to met eireann

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1222/weather.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

nice shower heading this way. Hopefully it doesn't fizzle out in the meantime Web_radar.gif

Organised band of showers on the way to North as well. Looking at the wind direction it will probably head SE across NI from Derry to Down

FROM RTE
    Met Éireann is forecasting that temperatures tomorrow night could fall to as low as -8C.

Donegal and Sligo are currently the only two counties where Met Éireann has registered temperatures above 0C.

I swear that the shower in the midlands is dissolving literally overhead of me, it's cloudy and grey, still very frosty but no snowfall at all since Sunday nights dusting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Had nothing better to do so took some pics of the frost!Sadly they didn't come out to well as I spent the whole time shivering :pac:

399FD8A40ADB41D98E06763D39D5502D-500.jpg

1C144270F1604291ACFF2C525D30DB00-500.jpg

D0CB14480607466AA07AFACBAE737BD7-500.jpg

FD0E4985CAD5448B94D430E0DD320313-500.jpg

excellent pics Ricky. where in kerry are you if you do not mind me asking

The sky here is awesome.

Clear and sunny above us, but thick dark clouds boiling in every direction.

Please, is the temperature going to plummet as it did y'day? and around what time, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

That big blob in the midlands is getting tantalisingly closes to my location. Tomorrow is looking good at this point for some possible snow across the midlands.

FROM RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Waiting for that big shower in south Donegal to reach me...blue sky and sunshine here right now

excellent pics Ricky. where in kerry are you if you do not mind me asking

You've probably heard of Listowel?I'm about 4 miles from there.

If not it's quite hard to explain :pac:

Ricky91t wrote: »
    You've probably heard of Listowel?I'm about 4 miles from there.

If not it's quite hard to explain :pac:

Of course, you are just across the estuary. ;)

NICE VIEW HERE OF CLOUD COVER
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=vis

Looks ominous all right
    irish1967 wrote: »
    Waiting for that big shower in south Donegal to reach me...blue sky and sunshine here right now

• Advertisement

Of course, you are just across the estuary. ;)

NICE VIEW HERE OF CLOUD COVER
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=vis

I'm under some huge cloud here but as of yet nothing has fallen...I'll be hopeful though :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement