Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

nat01_weather.png?1122

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the clouds are breaking up. it looks like that could be it for the day. although i see proper shower clouds way in the distance- about 30 miles to the north i'd say. so parts of leitrim and sligo are probably still geting heavy snow.

the temperature has not risen above 0 today. i've never had such a low temperature by day before during December. what a truly remarkable period of weather this is:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Darn snow shower evaporated just as it arrived. Ah well, didn't expect anything today. Frost has not cleared at all yet, and won't clear much today.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Macroom just after 9am had a temperature of -4.5c and a D.P of -9.1c.

Is it unusual to see such a low D.P.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Advertisement

Yr.no goes for rain all the way for Dublin :

meteogram.png

Looking better in the midlands :

meteogram.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How is the South looking at the moment from the charts?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ricky91t wrote: »
    You've probably heard of Listowel?I'm about 4 miles from there.

If not it's quite hard to explain :pac:

listowel is famous/infamous given recent events unfortunately. shame given john b keane's contribution.

leahyl wrote: »

sunny! did you get a b/f yet for the DIY snow maker?

sunny! did you get a b/f yet for the DIY snow maker?

Yep he's waiting in the wings should the real snow not arrive!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

All the let downs that this so called climate throws at us - the wash out summers, another easterly that doesn't deliver, January as warm as May......etc etc, I could go and on and on but the ultimate insult would be a thaw setting in around midnight on Xmas eve/Xmas day and waking up Xmas morn to the usual mild gray s***e. I mean I've given up on snow but it would be nice to have Xmas morning white with frost!!

very hard to determine at this stage Leahyl. The 3.30pm GFS run will be very interesting. Unlikely to see much action other than hard frost down in the City today and tonight. I get the impression from trawling through weather sites that it is very much a nowcasting situation as it has been for past few days. The only suire fire thing is that temps will rise somewhat later this week - but even then they cannot agree on by how much.

All the let downs that this so called climate throws at us - the wash out summers, another easterly that doesn't deliver, January as warm as May......etc etc, I could go and on and on but the ultimate insult would be a thaw setting in around midnight on Xmas eve/Xmas day and waking up Xmas morn to the usual mild gray s***e. I mean I've given up on snow but it would be nice to have Xmas morning white with frost!!

Here here well said my friend!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

looks like things are going to happen in Clare in the next hour.

some precip heading into west county Cork.

let me know if it starts moving southwards won't you?!;)

cloudcover now. looking dark towards west. Hopefully. air temp is stuck on 0 at moment. Very little thaw.its heading to you as well Billy.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1222/weather.html

so now there is a chance of snow for christmas day. i still think this cold air will put up a battle with that atlantic front from the west. its going to be fun to watch!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1222/weather.html

so now there is a chance of snow for christmas day. i still think this cold air will put up a battle with that atlantic front from the west. its going to be fun to watch!

Oh my GOD this is GREAT!!!:D I'm so happy! It better happen now....

let me know if it starts moving southwards won't you?!;)

those showers are heading for kerry not cork...they always just die away and never cross the county bounds very far. has been happening all week :mad:

Oh my GOD this is GREAT!!!:D I'm so happy! It better happen now....

cork will be very doubtful i am afraid..we're too far south :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

cork will be very doubtful i am afraid..we're too far south :(

Latest models suggest that showers may effect the south coast tomorrow evening. Maybe the odd snow one too.

Temps maxed out at 0.7c here but readily falling back at the moment. Now down to 0.2c again.

Meanwhile - over this side of the country,the dewpoint has rose above freezing for the first time in days.

Latest models suggest that showers may effect the south coast tomorrow evening. Maybe the odd snow one too.

Temps maxed out at 0.7c here but readily falling back at the moment. Now down to 0.2c again.

i stand corrected and gladly do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

RTE main headline on rte news, -8 tonight and weather guy on, "could be very good for snow on christmas day, and then rain later in evening" go on ye good thing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

that blob on the west of clare just got a whole lot bigger. just miles from the coast.

RTE main headline on rte news, -8 tonight and weather guy on, "could be very good for snow on christmas day, and then rain later in evening" go on ye good thing:D

Yep, Christmas Day could be sleet/snow for some. Probably wont know till the day itself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Meanwhile - over this side of the country,the dewpoint has rose above freezing for the first time in days.

it's still -2 here and tomorrow it sets to be -1 or -2 so if there is precipitation it should fall as sleet or snow.

nice streamer developing from north donegal to north antrimimage.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=3&sat=vis

Hot off the presses, a new weather warning from Met Eireann

Weather Warning

Issued at 22 December 2009 - 12:03

Weather Warning

The cold snap will continue up to Christmas. Showers of hail, sleet and snow today mainly in the west and north. Tomorrow the wintry showers will fall mainly in the south, while later tomorrow and during Thursday the showers will become confined chiefly to the east and southeast of the country. Severe overnight frost and patches of freezing fog will lead to hazardous driving conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

that blob on the west of clare just got a whole lot bigger. just miles from the coast.

Cam in Galway looking towards Clare shows that shower nicely:

current.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement