Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Yet another beautiful day in the north east. Did someone mention it had snowed somewhere:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Metcheck also concur with met eireanns changed stance colder now and more snow showers untill sunday in the west...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl will be happy, latest Met Eireann warning : "wintry showers will fall mainly in the south". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Metcheck also concur with met eireanns changed stance colder now and more snow showers untill sunday in the west...
    this cannot be correct. goes against everything that is beings aid elsewhere.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp

look at the temps for later in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

yes-no,maybe-no,maybe-yes,depends on,dp's down-up,swing it all around....

i canny take much more of it..........

white christmas,now that will make up for all of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Sun at last getting to work on the frost, first drip drip sound of the day from the roof outside. Only has about 2 hours or so before the temperature starts falling again...sheltered parts remain frosty and lightly covered in snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm heading West on the Heuston-Cork trail at the moment. Getting cloudier as we head out into Kildare. Seems to be very little white frost out this way. Will post if I come aacross anything unusual in my travels. I'll be ending up in Clare so, WolfIRE, keep us all updated on conditions there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    this cannot be correct. goes against everything that is beings aid elsewhere.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp

look at the temps for later in the week

Don't use metcheck, it's notorious for being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

that cloud looks to be coming towards galway city as well be interesting to see if it hits because nothing else has

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl will be happy, latest Met Eireann warning : "wintry showers will fall mainly in the south". :D

where does it say that?

• Advertisement

i find it good most times, maybe for snow its not as accurate, im sure the rte weather guy said cold temps an good chance of snow christmas day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i think it's safe to say at this stage it will get relatively milder(5-8) compared to what we've had, for at least two days during the course of friday, but i doubt we'll see temps above 8 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I really hope some decent snow lands on Navan at some point over the next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Don't use metcheck, it's notorious for being wrong.

I agree Maq. I looked at it a couple of times over the last year and it has never been accurate for Galway at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is still a fog around here, but the sun is breaking through now.

where does it say that?
    in the weather warning on met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WOOHOO!!:D I am SO excited now! I hope this doesn't change and we at least get a few flurries - i'd be happy with that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

leahyl wrote: »
    WOOHOO!!:D I am SO excited now! I hope this doesn't change and we at least get a few flurries - i'd be happy with that:)

I hope you see something Leahyl. Just promise to post up some pics should you happen to get some snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Very white and really picturesque scenes here in Kildare! The cloud bank seems to have just been on the Dublin Kildare border!

How feked am I going to be for getting from Galway to Monaghan on Thursday? Really need to get home on Christmas Eve...

• Advertisement

well feck it! my weather gambling was all based on faulty data:) just like the horse racing so!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

i think it's safe to say at this stage it will get relatively milder(5-8) compared to what we've had, for at least two days during the course of friday, but i doubt we'll see temps above 8 degrees.

maxes are 3c at there highest for here were are you getting this from?

north, west and southwest getting showers tonight whereas it was going to be dry in this morning's report. How confusing

ME
    Today Bright or sunny periods and wintry showers. The showers fairly widespread across the north and west of the country, where some of the showers will be heavy and thundery. Showers more isolated in the east and south and many areas here will remain dry. Cold everywhere with temperatures rising no higher than 1 to 4 degrees
    Tonight

Further wintry showers tonight in coastal counties of the north, west and southwest. Mainly dry elsewhere, but patches of freezing fog will develop leading to hazardous driving conditions. Lowest temperatures between minus 1 and minus 6 degrees. hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow the east and south will get most of the wintry showers while the west and north will get the best of the bright or sunny periods after the early mist and fog clears. It will remain very cold countrywide and temperatures may stay close to freezing throughout the day.

Outlook

The cold weather will continue up to Christmas Day, with frost fog and icy roads as well as some further snow showers. It will get somewhat milder then for a couple of days with some rain at times.
    Wednesday night will be mainly dry, but very cold with widespread severe frost and icy patches. Thursday (Christmas eve) will stay very cold, but apart from well scattered sleet or snow showers near coasts, the day will be dry with just light westerly breezes. Thursday night will begin frosty, but rain preceded by sleet will spread from the southwest overnight. Christmas day will get milder with a freshening southwest wind and rain will affect all parts during the day. Saturday (St Stephens day) will be cloudy and breezy with spells of heavy rain, and it'll continue to feel cold even though temperatures will have recovered to between 5 and 7 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

leahyl wrote: »

Lads, thats a downgrade. What happened to the rain and sleet on the south coast, moving inland - turning to snow with possible accumulations? Gone, now we have that lovely vague wording - wintry showers...they haven't a clue how this will go.

I'm going for a lie down now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

have the showers in the last 2 hours or so begun to veer from northwesterlies to a more westerly direction and if so does this signal a move away from snow to more hail and rain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Donegal doing quite well today by the look of it.

Shannon the only weather station below zero at the moment. waiting for the 1300 results.

Anyone living near Tarbert should be seeing precip soon if they haven't seen it already.

Light snow here now. Temp is 0c...been stuck at 0 for past hour or so

owenc wrote: »
    maxes are 3c at there highest for here were are you getting this from?

i'm getting it up from the bbc and what met eireann are saying. nothing would give me greater pleasure if it stayed below 5 degrees right through till the end of the year.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Light snow here now. Temp is 0c...been stuck at 0 for past hour or so

congratulations. is that your first snow of this cold period?

• Advertisement

congratulations. is that your first snow of this cold period?
    Thanks Nacho. had a few showers on Sunday night and one yesterday. Only 1CM of snow though (better than most I know, dont want to sound greedy). this shower is very slow moving on the radar so hopefully it will stick around for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement