Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Light snow here now. Temp is 0c...been stuck at 0 for past hour or so

Just been tracking that coming in and it is now south west of me - looks quite heavy and dark from here.Seems to be north and south of me but nothing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

RoisinD wrote: »
    Just been tracking that coming in and it is now south west of me - looks quite heavy and dark from here.Seems to be north and south of me but nothing here.
    where are you roisin?

Here in my little part of the East all the frost is gone,the ice is melting except in the shade and it's a balmy +4.2c with a dp of 0.7C

Spells rain if those are the stats here tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Is that snow sticking to the roads in Clare? Will have to travel up to Ennistymon from Ennis later on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

How feked am I going to be for getting from Galway to Monaghan on Thursday? Really need to get home on Christmas Eve...

Snap. I've to get from Dublin home to just over the border from Monaghan. Local roads around the house are bad my folks say and the council haven't left any salt out for us to grit the roads, despite constant phone calls asking them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

"much colder, especially in the west, good chance of snow on christmas day" RTE one o clock news very high in North and Northeast...:)

squonk wrote: »
    Is that snow sticking to the roads in Clare? Will have to travel up to Ennistymon from Ennis later on...
    roads are terrible anyway Squonk. I cant really tell at this stage. tit certainly isnt making too much of an impression. By the time you get down the roads will be in a poor state anyway. I know the gritters have been out my way the last 24hrs. I imagine the ennis-inagh-ennistymon road is being treated too.

Thanks! Inagh was the part I was worrying about. It's always bad there. Hopefuly it won't be too bad anyway. I do hope you see more snow showers there though! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

No the snow is not sticking to the roads but they are very icy. Ennis to Ennistymon road icy. Roads out of Ennistymon to Kilfenora and Lisdoonvarna icy but people are still travelling on them, with care. Lahinch to Liscannor road quite icy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Does anyone know what are the conditions on roads between Dublin and Cork (M7/M8)? I need to pick up my wife from the Cork Airport around 7pm and I was thinking about leaving Maynooth at 4pm...

It looks to me like I'll miss all the fun. No snow between Dublin and Cork that I'm aware of (unless I'm wrong, hence the above question). Tomorrow it may snow in Cork, and I'll be driving to Kilkenny which will prob not see snow...

Ah, well, Murphy's law...

• Advertisement

RoisinD wrote: »
    No the snow is not sticking to the roads but they are very icy. Ennis to Ennistymon road icy. Roads out of Ennistymon to Kilfenora and Lisdoonvarna icy but people are still travelling on them, with care. Lahinch to Liscannor road quite icy as well.

Thanks Roisin! Great to get a report from someone from my neck of the woods! I'm in Kilshanny so I'm hoping we see some snow. Been about 10 years since the last Christmas snowfall. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you should allow a couple of hours due to the ice on the roads between Dublin and Cork.

I personally would stay in cork pvernight rather than travel back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

I wonder how much snow is on the ground in Stranraer. It looks like it's been falling almost non stop there for the last few days.

Heading for Limerick Junction now and it's extremely frosty and white down here. IOt actually looks like there was some snowfall over the past while. I'd say during the night as the exposed areas are melting now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Very thick fog here now again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

It is interesting that the UKMO have the showers moving into the midlands tomorrow night:

Forecast chart for 0000hrs for the 23rd December 09:

99721.jpg

Interesting also is the the latest yr.no rainfall predictive sequence also has potential extending into the midlands also as the low moves closer. Are they latching onto something or is it just a case of the models struggling with the current set up at the moment?

Very thick fog here now again.

In thurles now and there's cloud to the north. I guess that's your fog Oscar!

Sierra I think we're going to hit that fog too as we approach Limerick Junction,.. Getting darker and more misty here now.

It is interesting that the UKMO have the showers moving into the midlands tomorrow night:

Interesting also is the the latest yr.no rainfall predictive sequence also has potential extending into the midlands also as the low moves closer. Are they latching onto something or is it just a case of the models struggling with the current set up at the moment?
    I wouldn't take the RTE weather forecast at One to be set in stone for tomorrow eve. Forecast is changing every hour practically. For those in the east and south I hope you do get a dumping though as you have had a frustrating time.

Snow turned to sleet here and it is now disipating. Heading towards SE Clare and Limerick City but it may fizzle out by the time it reaches you:(

btw, very heavy shower moving towards north kerry and west Limerick. Showing some red on ME radar. Hopefully it continues to you
    Web_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Hows everybody today - a very cold frosty Bray.. Frost hasnt cleared from yesterday & struggled getting car up the drive this morning ( Brains here STUPIDLY washed the car yesterday) I found the missing Hello Kitty frozen on the back lawn... ( santy dropped one bringing the bags in)

I love snow but can only imagine if we get a dumping tomo.... We snow a friends pub on Christmas eve as a promo event - little does he know he could be getting the real thing.............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Lads and lassies they haven't a clue yet.not sure if this has been posted before but...................

Temperatures could dip to -8C

Tuesday, 22 December 2009 12:19

Temperatures in parts of the west of the country could drop to as low as -7C or -8C tonight.

The cold snap is set to continue with Met Éireann forecasting temperatures of -8C again for tomorrow night.

Read today's weather forecast
    Send your weather pictures to newsonline@rte.ie

Southern Munster, southern Leinster and eastern Leinster could experience sleet or snow showers tomorrow afternoon and into Christmas morning.

There is also a reasonable chance of snow on Christmas morning, especially in parts of the north and northeast, according to Met Éireann.
    Freezing fog and widespread severe frost have prompted a renewed weather warning to motorists and the general public.
    Gardaí in counties Donegal, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Longford, Westmeath and Clare have said that road conditions remain dangerous.

The majority of main roads are passable with care but many minor roads are described as treacherous.

Snow on the ground froze again in some parts of the country overnight, with icy conditions elsewhere, as temperatures fell in places to -5C.
    Most national routes, where ground temperatures are below zero, have been treated but motorists have been urged to drive with extreme care, particularly on secondary routes and roads in sheltered areas.
    Bus Éireann says it is experiencing disruption and delays on services in Limerick and Kerry.

It is advising customers travelling in the southwest to contact their local travel office for information on individual services.

Meanwhile, many schools in the midlands and the west have been closed and will not re-open until January.
    Air travel is being affected by bad weather outside of Ireland.(Click for up-to-date flight information)
    Disruption can be expected this morning at airports in Britain. Luton Airport has reopened but there are many delays and cancellations. (More information here).

EasyJet has cancelled all flights from Gatwick, Luton and Stansted until at least 12pm.
    Ryanair has warned that flights to and from London and Milan are experiencing delays.

Passengers are advised to keep an eye on their flight status.
    The airline said that passengers should stay at home if their flight has been cancelled. If a flight is delayed, people should go to the airport as normal.

Aer Lingus says that not all flights to Ireland are running to schedule. Disruptions are reported on Milan, Lanzarote and Frankfurt flights.
    In London, a Eurostar train left for Paris today for the first time in four days. A limited service has now resumed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Could there be a surprise for those in the north and north west tonight? has anyone been looking at the sat images?;)

meanwhile according to the bbc forecast just there it will stay cold in northern ireland right throughout christmas day. so if there is precipitation it should be of the white stuff up there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

In thurles now and there's cloud to the north. I guess that's your fog Oscar!

Aye probably! It has eased off slightly in the last few minutes, but this is the view from my window:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/Sierra_Oscar_2006/P1010433.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Icy pellets sweeping in frequently up here from the north mountians,now as the snow on the trees thaws and drips, and navy blue clouds boiling towards Town and B'shannon.

I imagine the temp will start plummeting very soon?

Could there be a surprise for those in the north and north west tonight? has anyone been looking at the sat images?;)

meanwhile according to the bbc forecast just there it will stay cold in northern ireland right throughout christmas day. so if there is precipitation it should be of the white stuff up there.

i can see that stream off the west coast of Scotland. Wind direction is due to shift though which will inhibit its current southerly flow
    3hr-wind.gif

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i can see that stream off the west coast of Scotland. Wind direction is due to shift though which will inhibit its current southerly flow
    3hr-wind.gif

ah damn. so only northern england and south western scotland will get a pasting then. typical!

Nice wintry scenes in Limerick City. Seems to have been a decent covering here!

it's get cloudy now again. not much showing up on the uk radar though.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Tommorow eve - what is being forecast

Here is the BBC forecast for tomorrow eve. The band loses its strength as it heads north. It starts off as rain on south coast. BBC haven't exactly been accurate over the past week but this is at least a good guide.
    99731.jpg

yr.no indicates a more midlands/east coast fair, albeit a very weak one
    99732.jpg
    weather outlook backs up the yr.no chart somewhat
    99733.jpg
    as does meteociel
    99734.jpg
    the dewpoints for wed eve are not so favourable for snow though in the SE and S in particular. The midlands are well placed should there be precipitation here. The next GFS is due at 3.30pm so hopefully it will involve a big upgrade for everyone.

06_36_ukdp.png

• Advertisement

I report heavy snow!:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement