Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (22/12/09) (Freeze continues across country)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

hi, what on earth do the 12 or 6 thing mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

hour in day 12zmeans midday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

the different times that the computer forecast model is run, 6am, 12pm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So there's still not much chance of any snow in Dublin over the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

A photo of the fog coming down in Limerick city taken at 4pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Snow for the east for christmas day or at least New Years!

That would make me happy, sick of this cold without seeing any snow here in dublin!.... And i mean SNOW !, Not like the "dust" tat fell a few days ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:D
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    Snow for the east for christmas day or at least New Years!

That would make me happy, sick of this cold without seeing any snow here in dublin!.... And i mean SNOW !, Not like the "dust" tat fell a few days ago!

:D:D:D:D thanks i think you just given me an early Christmas surprises prezzie or the best New Year welcome ever ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Leahyl/Munster Legend - At least Cork got 338% the normal sunshine. Makes up for all that rain ye got last month
    agri_percentSunshine.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Feels like its freezing outside already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Do yous ever get snow in Tippeary? Its one place i never heard much about weather wise! , apart from the flooding of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Leahyl/Munster Legend - At least Cork got 338% the normal sunshine. Makes up for all that rain ye got last month
    agri_percentSunshine.gif

I bet you dont get those figures in the summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

freezing here now in mayo, -.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Fog in Limerick at around 1625 hrs.

Shannon back to zero at 4pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

Still no snow here:(.
    But i suppose frost is better then rain.!

Pics from this morning:

dsc00877e.jpg

Their is a frozen lake under all that fog. It can support my weight but its very deep so i wasent going to rick it:)

dsc00865m.jpg

My drive way Very slippery!

dsc00872ea.jpg

Spider Web On post box

dsc00868z.jpg

Flodded road frozen

North Kerry and West Limerick should be in for some precip round about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

What do the latest GFS runs means for south of the country and the east over Christmas eve or Christmas day?

Looks like there could be a chance of a dusting? what do the experts think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Nice pics,But any chance you could make them abit smaller?:eek:

North Kerry and West Limerick should be in for some precip round about now.

Will keep a look out :D

Elmo5 wrote: »
    What do the latest GFS runs means for south of the country and the east over Christmas eve or Christmas day?

Looks like there could be a chance of a dusting? what do the experts think?

Hard to know, could be rain/sleet with snow on higher ground but its too far away to know for sure. North might have a better chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:rolleyes:Jeepers; what happened to my screen?

Strrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeettttttttched sideways suddenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Hard to know, could be rain/sleet with snow on higher ground but its too far away to know for sure. North might have a better chance.

Thanks! still a bit of hope :)

Graces7 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:Jeepers; what happened to my screen?

Strrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeettttttttched sideways suddenly.

It's cause high res images were posted!It'll be ok once we get on to the next page..

Anyway if anyone is interested I'll be uploading any frost/snow images here.

I won't be posting any of them as they don't really focus on the weather,But more how our pets are enjoying it!:p

All except this:
    CBC82E102BD04164A85C48C778A0A8E8-500.jpg
    Sun sets on the field still covered in frost!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wile weather up here today , its been graupeling a lot today :)
    A lot of thunder and lightening too , good big bangs . Since yesturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Porridgemonster

I was driving north on the M6 in the UK in a heavy snow shower on the way to the ferry in Liverpool and at about 15.23pm there was a loud bang and a flash and a rumbling of thunder which I can only presume was a lightning strike.Is this possible with heavy snow ??
    Is there a site which shows lightning strikes ? sorry for being a bit off topic

12Z UKMO keeps the precip over the far southeast area the longest, from Wednesday evening to the early hours of Christmas morning. Could be interesting if it all goes the right side of marginal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Tuesday, December 22, 2009, 16:27
    Motorists urged to exercise caution due to icy roads

IRISH TIMES REPORTERS
    Motorists have been warned to take care when driving as road conditions remain treacherous during the continuing cold spell.

A renewed weather warning from Met Éireann said very frosty conditions overnight have resulted in treacherous roads with patches of freezing fog in places.

Frost will linger in many areas, but most places will have a dry day with highest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees. Further wintry showers of hail and snow are expected to affect Ulster and coastal areas of the west with the risk of isolated thunderstorms in the far northwest.

Tonight will be another very cold night as temperatures are forecast to reach -6C in some places with widespread severe frost and ice.
    Met Éireann's Harm Luijkx said the weather will get slightly milder on Christmas Day. “In places where there is snow at the minute, temperatures could drop as low as -8C tomorrow night,” Mr Luijkx said. “It’s certainly very extreme. The lowest we’ve had is around minus 10 on record.”

Minister for Older People Áine Brady urged the elderly to take extra care during the current cold spell.

“While it can be expensive to heat the whole house, it is important that those rooms in use should be heated," she said. “It is possible to conserve energy and eliminate draughts by keeping internal doors closed to keep heat in the living area, and by draught-proofing external doors and windows.”

The Minister also advised neighbours to check on their elderly relatives.
    The Garda and AA Roadwatch have warned motorists to be extra vigilant and drive with extreme care as icy conditions remain a problem for much of Munster and Connaught especially on secondary routes.

Although most main routes have been treated many road temperatures are still well below zero. In Roscommon, Leitrim and Clare gardaí are advising motorists to avoid unnecessary travel.

Chief Superintendent Aidan Reid said: "The low temperatures are adding an extra risk for road users, please ensure all the windows on your vehicle are clear and frost free before you begin your journey, leave sufficient time for your trip, and drive at an appropriate speed for the conditions.
    AA Roadwatch warned drivers to exercise particular care on the N22 at Macroom, Killarney and the N18 at Ennis.

The N5 Swinford bypass also remains icy and it has started to snow in the area. There are treacherous conditions on the N16 Sligo to Enniskillen road between Blacklion & Glenfarne and on the N3 between Cavan and Virginia.
    It is also icy in Cork, Galway and Limerick cities.

There are reports of bad conditions on higher ground especially on the Killakee Rd (R115), the Wicklow Gap and Sally Gap, Glencree and Roundwood.

Flights are operating as normal following the recent disruption with only standard delays reported at Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports.
    Bus Éireann has said it is experiencing disruption and slight delays to some services. Several Limerick city services are affected, with delays on services between Limerick and Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Big dump of snow in Glasgow all afternoon. My sons are loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That's odd; we have had no thunder or lightning up here.. Must be very local. Dog has not reacted in any way and she always does. Violently.

Yep; grapeshot down the chimney hissing on the fire.

And so cold.. just is too much this cold.
    Pangea wrote: »
    Wile weather up here today , its been graupeling a lot today :)
    A lot of thunder and lightening too , good big bangs . Since yesturday.

• Advertisement

-1 at Shannon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement