Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Tablioids and the England Football team

• 22-12-2009 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is my first thread and didn't want to drag the existing John Terry Thread off topic, so i decided to make this thread.

If we think back over the years, either a player or manager has been systematically set up, trapped or borderline slandered in the run up to a major tournament.

Sven, Beckham, Terry, Rooney - that is the most recent 4 I could think of off the top of my head.

Unlike allot of Irish people, I actually like to see the English team do well at a world cup, I watch all of their players week in week out. I find the way the British tabloid press try and ruin team morale abhorrent.

My question is, what drives them to do this, surely a paper that gets behind the team and builds the hype, will sell more copies then a paper that is known for being a disruptive factor? Or am I just romanticising being a football fan - i know there is no way, the kind of "journalism" would get the time of day over here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

All about sales. The average English football fan is more likely to pick up a paper that says "TERRY IN COKE AND HOOKERS SCANDAL" * than a "Everythings fine and dandy" on the back page. These tabloids have no loyalty to the England football team whatsoever.

*May not be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The irony of what your debating and your username. :D

Rooney riding a Granny will always always sell more copies, than Rooney being Qouting as saying "We have a chance in the world Cup".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ragg wrote: »
    Ok, this is my first thread and didn't want to drag the existing John Terry Thread off topic, so i decided to make this thread.

If we think back over the years, either a player or manager has been systematically set up, trapped or borderline slandered in the run up to a major tournament.

Sven, Beckham, Terry, Rooney - that is the most recent 4 I could think of off the top of my head.

Unlike allot of Irish people, I actually like to see the English team do well at a world cup, I watch all of their players week in week out. I find the way the British tabloid press try and ruin team morale abhorrent.

My question is, what drives them to do this, surely a paper that gets behind the team and builds the hype, will sell more copies then a paper that is known for being a disruptive factor? Or am I just romanticising being a football fan - i know there is no way, the kind of "journalism" would get the time of day over here

Think that could very well be it. The media hype that team to the hilt...makes it easier for them to lambast the team when they do fail. People will buy the paper if it has something about an English player, regardless of the slant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

The odd thing is, a couple of days before the the world cup - the NOTW will have cutout england masks and flags that with the logo emblazened on it. and 10 page spreads saying COME ON OUR BOYS etc..

I think im more shocked that people actually buy into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

to me it's because of one reason, and it's happening more and more. It's easier to make news, than report it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Unfortunately $hite sells, facts don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mancini is next.

DEY TUK HIS JOWB!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Mancini is next.

DEY TUK HIS JOWB!!!!!

DURKA DERRRR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I believe they have pictorial evidence of what Ashley Cole really gets up to when Cheryl's not about and are saving it for a really really bad news day

Tabloid journalism has been bred into the psychi of the average Englishman for years, kinda like the Catholic church in Ireland. It won't go away unforunately

• Advertisement
Advertisement