Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options
  • 22-12-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Well, as is common this time of the year, its never to early to start thinking of a new years resoloution. I already keep a written log (and have done since 1979, although there are a few gaps!), but I figured that it will be a good thing to get some feedback.
    A brief history, I will be 45 in June, ran a lot as a teenager and wasn't too bad (2.04 800m to 75+ 1/2 marathon). Started back properly about 2 yrs ago. In '08 I ran 1500mls and this year will be close to 2,500mls. My masters pb's are 2:19 800m, 5:00 ml, 17:55 5K, 29:49 8K. I ran Dublin this year and bombed big time, was looking to go under 3hrs but in hindsight I didn't have enough longer races (none in fact), that combined with not taking on enough water, getting a blister early in the race and just generally having a bad day at the office.
    I was bold enough to predict a sub 2:50 on this forum, but I think I can definitely do that this year. I will be meeting with my coach after Christmas to go over my training program, but what I want to do is to try and get my track times down over the spring/summer (2:10 800m, 4:30 1500m). Right now I weigh 166lbs and I plan to get down to 150lbs. I did a physiological test in trinity 2 wks ago so it gave me a lot of good info that I can use to train properly.

I have been nursing a bad cold for the past 10 days so it has interupted my training. I was looking at trying to break 37mins for a 10K on Stephens Day but now I'll just see what happens.

So I hope to keep this log up fairly regularly, I know there are other folk out there with equally lofty ambitions so it would be great to hear your opinions.

Let the fun begin ......................:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck speedy. Have you decided on a target marathon yet? Your shorter distance times are great and pointing in the right direction. Seems to be quite a few logs started recently for people targetting the 2:50 mark (I'm hoping to run closer to 2:58 myself (pb-3 mins)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Hi Krusty, I will be doing Dublin in '10 to try for my 2:50. Plan on getting in a good base this winter and then start into it properly in June/July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Good luck Speedy.

"ondalae, ondalae"

Drove 12mls so that I could run 8mls on the grass and avoid the ice, tbh it wasn't much better, almost came a cropper a few times. Averaged a mighty 8.31/ml ! Good to just get through it without injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Good luck with the training program,Speedy.

• Advertisement

After a 4ml warm up, did 8 x 200m at 5K pace with a 200m jog recovery. Just wanted to stretch out the legs a bit before the 10K on Saturday.
    Didn't feel too bad once I got going, averaged 42secs. slowest 46. fastest 38.

Tried to run yesterday (xmas day), got all the clothes on etc (always the hard part, right!). Got as far as the garden gate only to be greeted by huge sheets of ice.

Its now Stephens morning at 7am and I am waiting to hear the official word on the Fields of Athenry 10K scheduled for 11am.:confused:

And the race has been cancelled :-(

After missing the past 4 days due to the ice, I finally managed to do a run. At least I tried to run on 2 of those days, to the extent that I put on my gear and got out the door only to be greeted by a skating rink.
    Still find it ironic that I live in the countryside surrounded by fields and I have to drive 22mls round trip to some grass to run on!

Anyway, just did 6mls easy on the grass. felt like a caged animal the past few days not been able to get out so I ended up running a wee bit faster than I should have, nothing earth shattering, miles 2-5 were aver 7:36. Can't wait to get into the swing of things properly in the new year, just have to get rid of the last few beers in the fridge first ;)

OK, now I'm really starting to get fed up with this. Just did 4mls in 37 bloody minutes. Had to crawl along at a snails pace because although the ice had thawed somewhat, there was now all the slush to contend with.:(

Dec 30th.
    8mls with 5ml steady thrown in for good measure. Times were 7:40, 7:24, 7:09, 7:06 & 7:26. (36:45). Felt ok but draggin a little.

Dec 31st.
    Same as yesterday, splits 7:05, 7:11, 7:08, 7:05 & 7:04 (35:33).
    Can't believe that it takes so much effort to do a session like this when a few weeks ago I was flying it. Then again between having a stinker of a cold and the damn weather my last 3wks were 17mls, 22mls & 15mls - must have taken more out of me than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best wishes Speedy. Impressive resume. I look forward to tracking your progress. Where do you do most of your running ... in and around Dublin?

Best wishes Speedy. Impressive resume. I look forward to tracking your progress. Where do you do most of your running ... in and around Dublin?

Cheers SJ, actually do most of my running in and around Galway. Glad I was able to run the past 4 days before the next icely blast blows in. The weather really separates the 'fair weather runners' from us more dedicated athletes, although I am thinking more & more that its a thin between dedication and stupidy !!

Well, have to be happy enough with last years running. Did 2346mls, thought I'd hit 2500 but lost a lot in December. Still, its not the quantity, its the quality !
    Hit most of my targets, 5:00 ml, 17:55 5K & 29:49 8K. Bombed royally in Dublin, but I'll be back.

Targets for 2010 are as follows:

400m - sub 60
    800m - 2:10-12
    Mile - 4:50
    5K - 17:30
    5ml - 29:00
    10ml - 61:00
    1/2M - 81:00
    Marathon - 2:52

2 x 4 x 400m with 200m jog rec (approx 75 secs) & 400m between sets.
    Times were 83, 82, 82, 81, 82, 81, 82 & 82.
    4ml warm up and a mile warm down.
    Happy with that, plan was to do them at 10K pace, this was more like 5K pace. Glad to keep them consistent. Felt ok, a wee bit stretched on last one. Feel like I'm coming together again after my 'bad' 3 wks.
    Also did 3 x 10 sit ups & press ups. Plan to get them up to 100 in a couple of months.

Want to lose about 18lbs by the time Dublin rolls along, right now I'm at 165lbs (11st 11) but I have 23% body fat which I need to reduce. Like a lot of you, I'm now off the beer for at least 3 months, I'm also cutting another weakness of mine, cookies and lashings of Kerrygold butter on my toast. Apart from that I think I have a fairly balanced diet. Read somewhere (Sosa?) that for every lb lost its 2 secs fast per mile, that would give me a 4:24/ml which I could live with :-)

............because it can'tbe much worse than this !

I am soo fed up with this new ice age, I'm even few up hearing myself whining about it all the time.

Plan was to do 11mls today, the first 3mls were 9:37, 9:34 & 9:16! At that stage I was going to just cut it down to a 4ml run cause I didn't think there was much point crawling along at that pace. Decided though to make it 5mls just so I could have 40mls for the week. Then finally I noticed a few breaks in the ice so I managed to continue and finish the 11mls. Even managed an 8:15/ml along the way.

Ah well, at least I got it done, so I have 46 for the week. Something to build on.

Jan 5th
    8mls easy on grass. Felt pretty good but still restricted due to the ice. Tempted to go faster but wanted to leave it til the track session tomorrow.

Jan 6th
    Although our club session was cancelled, I went to the track anyway. There was a ice on it which curtailed my pace a bit. Did 5 x 5mins with 1 min rec. Completed about 1300m for each rep, 1200m splits were 4:38, 4:38, 4:33, 4:35 & 4:32, thats about 6:10-15/ml.
    Felt ok, managed the 1min recovery ok, still had a bit in the tank at the end. Also did 3 x 10 push ups & sit ups.

The past few days I feel like I am finally starting to make progress. No beer for the past week either which can't hurt. Onwards & upwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

great log,hope the weather improves for you.Im lucky it doesn't affect me.
    you seem to be like alot of runners obsessing about weight.
    you shoul check your weight once a month,i can tell when i have lost soem weight by my face and trousers.;)

you shoul check your weight once a month,i can tell when i have lost soem weight by my face and trousers.;)

cheers, although I wouldn't say I'm 'obsessed' bu weight, just want to lost about 16-18lbs. And thats not for vanity, had a physiological test done in trinity before christmas and it was clear that I can afford to lose it. I'm 165 right now (Jan 1st) and I like the idea of my times improving with the weightloss. I figure if I am training my bollox off in this weather, I may as well give myself the best chance to run good :D

did you get it done with Bernard?
    I got it done couple of years ago and found it really good.

did you get it done with Bernard?
    I got it done couple of years ago and found it really good.

Yea, he's a great man for pushing you through that last 3min effort. Managed to get up to 18k/hr, plan to do it again this Spring/Summer

• Advertisement

btw. how come the weather doesn't affect you, you living in Spain or something, I thought the whole country was under a deep freeze. I don't mind the cold so much, actually quiet like this weather, give me blue skies & sunshine over the clouds & rain any day of the week, its all the damn ice that freaks me out.

Its only slippy on the roads.Park is perfect,prefer it today than last few days even though snow was heavy.

Well, finally broke down and went to the gym at 9.30pm to hop on the threadmill.
    Now, I was on it when I got my test done in Trinity before Christmas, but before that it was over 10yrs ago, I didn't like them then, and I don't like them now.
    Once I finally figured out how it worked and if it was in km or mls, I managed to do 5mls (well, 8K) at about 8min/ml pace.
    Felt like I was going faster than that, my breathing was fine and all that but just felt like my legs were turning over faster than they actually were.
    Ah well, least I got it done.................

Well, at least for me, a guy born in the 60's. In keeping with my recent delve in the high tech world of running, after meeting with my coach today, I went out and got a HR monitor :D

Now I can finally train properly! The coach helped me to understand my test results from the phyiological test I had done and pointed me in the right direction as far as the type of sessions I should be doing.
    I am now looking forward to getting wired up and out on the roads, well, at leat the frozen grass or the track.

Before our meeting today I did 8mls on aforementioned frozen grass. Felt ok, only going about 8:15 pace but not too concerned considering the conditions.

Used my HRM for the first time today. It seemed to work ok but boy it was a tough session.

Plan was for 3 x 15mins at 170-175 bpm. Without my trusty Garmin I wasn't sure exactly what distance I was running but I could take an educated guess. The field I was using is about 1K around, maybe slightly more so I figured I'd do either 3 or 4 laps, depending how I felt.
    First lap was 4:20, then 4:20 & 4:17. HR was about 175, peaked at 180.
    Took 3mins rec and let my HR get down to 118. Knew I was struggling and that I probably wouldn't finish the session, and I was right! HR was hitting 181 and I was clearly struggling. Did 2 laps in 4:24 & 4:24 and called it a day.

Was hands on knees time after that. Surprised that it was so tough. Looking forward to making progress, now that I know that I was slacking off for so long :rolleyes:.

At 9am did 13mls easy, had company the first 8. HR started off in the 130's but ended up closer to 160 at the end. Felt ok until the last couple of miles when I started to get a bit tired. Garmin started going crazy from the cold, it told me I did almost 16mls but I know the course so I know how long it was. It also told me it took me 1hr 43, which is about 7:55/ml pace if its to be believed?

Was wondering if in all this freezing weather the body takes longer to heat up, and if it is constantly working to stay warm, could it be using up some valuable energy. In otherwords, I'm looking for excuses for running so slow !

Week Distance = 50mls, 6 days

On the day there's finally a bit of a thaw, I find myself back on the threadmill ! The washing machine stopped working due to a frozen pipe, so I had very limited gear (shorts & tshirt).

Was a bit better than last Thursday. Did 10K on it, starting at 12K/hr and after about 10mins gradually got it up to 12.8k/hr (7:30min/mls). Then I threw in 3 x.25k bursts at 16k/hr (6min/mls) and 1 at 18k (5:22/hr).

Whole thing took me about 45mins or so. Happy enough with that, felt fine, especially after yesterday's LR.

Here's to the thaw continuing and melting away the last of this shi*, if it does I have an 8K race this Sunday and then the twice reschedule Fields of Athenry 10K on the 24th.

3 x 15mins with a 2 1/2 min rec.

Did it on the track. Main thing I was trying to do was keep my hr between 170-175, which I accomplised. Wasn't sure how much rec I should take (I'll double check with my coach for future reference) but I waited 'til my hr was down below 120. The plan is to do 3 of these sessions, then go up to 3 x 17 1/2mins, and finally get up to 3 x 20mins, and as I increase the time, decrease the recovery.

Hopefully the speed will increase too once I get used to them. Nothing earth shattering today, as the session was based on time I just took mile & 2ml splits. First rep was 6:01 & 6:16 (12:17), 2nd rep 6:21 & 6:28 (12:49), last rep I missed the ml but the 2ml was 13:04. Hard to keep pushing it for all those laps, glad to get it done though.

Total Miles = 11

Was looking forward to my run this morning as I looked out on the sunshine from my warm living room. Even decided to leave the gloves off. I got a harsh reality check in my first 100mts or so when I almost came a cropper. Now its not nearly as bad as it had been, but there were loads of dangerous icy patches all over the place.
    I hear there's supposed to be a 'proper' thaw tonight so hopefully that'll be the end of it.
    Anyway, did 8 1/4mls, was supposed to keep the HR at 140-155, for the first few miles it was more like 130-135,then I managed to get it up to 150 or so. Whole thing took me 1:05:35

• Advertisement

11mls easy. Can't believe it but I was overdressed! Average pace was 7:39, thats after an 8:07 1st mile. Forgot the HRM but it felt comfortable enough, was tempted to pick it up at times but with the race on Sunday I figured its best to keep the breaks on.

Advertisement