Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Normally I do my LSR's at 8am on Sunday's but due to yesterdays race, I had to move it to 5pm.

Just wanted to get this done without feeling shattered ............. mission accomplished.

After the usual 1st slow mile of 7:54, the rest of them were between 7:30 & 7:44, average 7:37. Felt relaxed throughout, took it nice and easy, legs felt strong but at the same time I was aware (or afraid :rolleyes: ) that if I increased the pace I could buckle.

Was reading in P&D about drinking water nd how much you should take in. So I weighed myself before & after, couldn't believe the difference, 6.8lbs ! Now I just have to try and figure out how to equate that to liquid form !

good job speedy, and you also did a 10k race at the weekend....you seam to have plenty endurance!
    a 9:00am start on 25th oct you will be grand! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

This was a first, 300's & 500's :eek: ................ 8 of each, alternating them, with 100m (55 secs) rec. target was 5K pace (17:30; 63sec 300m, 1:45 500m)

That damn head cold that I've been going back & forth with came back again today, didn't feel too bad earlier in the day but as it came closer to 'go' time, I started to feel a bit weaker. From previous experience, I opted to give it a go anyway, I told myself that I would bail if I started to feel too bad.

Anyway, excuses over ;)

Splits were :
    300m - 0:59
    500m - 1:43
    300m - 1:00
    500m - 1:44
    300m - 1:01
    500m - 1:41
    300m - 1:02
    500m - 1:42
    300m - 0:59
    500m - 1:30 :D

Happy enough with that, considering. Actually felt it was the easiest track session to date. A couple of the lads that would normally push out the pace were missing so that may have helped. Still though, a couple of secs faster than planned, and enough in the tank to stretch it out on the last one.

Felt well in control more or less the whole way through, legs were getting a wee bit heavy towards the end, but nothing much, and it wasn't until I picked it up that I really felt it.

Total Distance = 9mls

crazy session but its all VO2 max at the end of the day....and its good to vary things!
    well done...

Did 12.5mls easy at 7:44/ml. Felt ok at first but the last few miles I could feel myself running low on energy. I think I may change the rest of the weeks sessions around.

I was going to do 2 x 4ml at pmp tomorrow but am going to shift that to Saturday morning (maybe) and I was supposed to do my 22mls on Sunday but that could now move to Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Did 12.5mls easy at 7:44/ml. Felt ok at first but the last few miles I could feel myself running low on energy. I think I may change the rest of the weeks sessions around.

I was going to do 2 x 4ml at pmp tomorrow but am going to shift that to Saturday morning (maybe) and I was supposed to do my 22mls on Sunday but that could now move to Monday.
    This makes alot of sense. Just make sure that 22 miler is slow.

• Advertisement

Just signed up, guess I have to do it now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

your not doing too bad on the track either are ya, some session the other nite !

Not long now till Dublin, all the best with the final few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Welcome on board! Might see ya at the finish line at 11 58 am!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Welcome on board! Might see ya at the finish line at 11 58 am!

I'll be waiting there with a pint for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good man. See you at 12:14:29.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Speedy if you see a dying looking creatur out your road on sunday it'll be me out doing my 20 miles. Maybe you could leave an oxygen cannister or 3 along the route for me?

Congrats on signing up!

Good man. See you at 12:14:29.

I persume Krusty you mean I'll see you, as I intend to be finished before high noon :D

littlebug wrote: »
    Speedy if you see a dying looking creatur out your road on sunday it'll be me out doing my 20 miles. Maybe you could leave an oxygen cannister or 3 along the route for me?

Congrats on signing up!

tx LB. You'll be fine on Sunday, sure havn't you the whole corrib beside you if you get thirsty :D

I'm attempting 22 myself, not sure yet though whether I'll be doing the club run around Tonabrucky on Sunday or Annaghdown on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I persume Krusty you mean I'll see you, as I intend to be finished before high noon :D
    Absolutely. I'm just hoping all the beer won't be drank by the time I cross the finish line.

6.5mls recovery run at about 7:40 pace.
    Nothing to report, which is nice :)

Kinda made this up as I went along. Was origionally going to do 5mls pmp, but started picking up the pace after 3/4ml or so when some neighbour hood dogs started following me (thankfully the friendly sort !).
    After doing the first mile in 7:53, and feeling good, I figured I'd just pick it up now and go for it, as long as I was running relaxed.

Here's the splits:
    7:00
    6:50
    6:44
    6:45
    6:47
    6:42
    6:37

Have to say that I felt really good, could have done a few more at that pace no bother. Maybe it was the 30min power nap before I went out !

Now I just got to get over the 22mls tomorrow morning. Have a bit of a scratchy throat now, hopefully it won't turn into anything.

Total = 8.25mls
    Time = 57:10

22mls LSR with club. Set out at 7.50am with 2 other lads, one of who normally puts the boot on from the off so between the 2 of us we managed to reign him in !

Met up with rest of the group (11 in all I think) after 8mls. Took first gel & water at 9mls, the 2nd one at 16mls.

Didn't get every mile, but here's the splits:

8:29
    7:56
    7:36
    7:24
    7:50
    7:46
    7:52
    23:00 (3mls)
    8:05 (hills)
    14:55 (2mls)
    7:10
    7:09
    7:38 (gel)
    7:26
    7:42
    7:48
    7:31

Have to say I'm very happy to get that done. Also happy that I was able to restrain myself when the lads increased the pace after 14mls, which was easy for them to do as they had only 5mls done and were only doing 11mls ;) .
    A couple of us held back, but even with holding back was surprised to see that we threw in a 7:09 & 7:10. Was feeling good, but also weary that it was a long run and I didn't want to blow up like I did 2wks ago. Although I was feeling good, I also felt that if I did increase the pace, I could fold like a house of cards fairly quickly. Felt pretty good over the last couple of miles too, didn't intentionally increase the pace but felt ok with it and actually felt like I could push on a bit if needed.

So between today and last nights pmp's, I have to say bring on the tempo :D

Distance = 22mls
    Time = 2:48:41

Week Distance = 79.25mls (6 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice to get such a satisfying lsr in at this stage of the game.

thats a very solid 22m run speedy....on the back of a an 80mile week! i guess it taper time for you now....what are you weekly mileage goards for the next 3 weeks?
    i have around 50/40/20(+race)....

seanynova wrote: »
    thats a very solid 22m run speedy....on the back of a an 80mile week! i guess it taper time for you now....what are you weekly mileage goards for the next 3 weeks?
    i have around 50/40/20(+race)....

Thanks Seany.

I think I'll be aiming for something like 60/40/25. I normally do track/tempo on Wed/Fri & go long on Sunday. I'll keep the same intensity but probably reduce the quantity, my next 2 Sundays will be 16mls & 11mls.

• Advertisement

The county x-country is on this Saturday. Not sure whether or not to do it. The P&D schedule that I've been sort of following calls for a 10k tune up race this Saturday, followed by 17mls LSR on Sunday.

Two weeks ago I did the Loughrea 10K followed by 20 LSR the day after, and found it ok.

Its only 8k so I was thinking that if its not too muddy I may give it a go, the temps may reach 20 degrees this weekend so conditions may be favourable.

11.25mls at about 7.42 pace.

I was in class all day and drank way too much coffee and hardly any water :rolleyes:

Really wasn't motivated to do this run. Pushed myself out the door around 5.30pm, I'm not lying when I say every step for the first 4-5mls was a struggle, not in the way that I couldn't do it, but I just felt like I was plodding along as if I never ran a step in my life before. Tried to talk myself into the run, but I wasn't listening :mad:

Eventually after about 6mls I started to feel a little better. Glad just to get it done. Thankfully this is the last of these medium mid week long runs. I think the greyness and high winds didn't help my overall mood either.

Club track session tomorrow, looking forward to that.

Normally its track on Wednesday. Tonight was 10 x 3mins with a minute recovery, in the nice muddy fields :eek:

Had to be careful navigating some of the turns. Felt good during it, strong. Distances covered varied between 810m & 890m.

Another one down :)

8.25mls with 3 @ pmp & 2 @ pmp - 10secs.

Here's the splits:
    6:52
    6:40
    6:34
    6:32

Felt pretty good, breathing wasn't 100% but I think thats more to do with forgetting to take asthma med's for a couple of days. Right achilles was a bit sore but nothing major. Felt comfortable enough at both pace's and definitely could have kept going for a while more.

Time :- 58:06/aver 7:02 ml.

8.25mls with 3 @ pmp & 2 @ pmp - 10secs.

Here's the splits:
    6:52
    6:40
    6:34
    6:32

Felt pretty good, breathing wasn't 100% but I think thats more to do with forgetting to take asthma med's for a couple of days. Right achilles was a bit sore but nothing major. Felt comfortable enough at both pace's and definitely could have kept going for a while more.

Time :- 58:06/aver 7:02 ml.

Very nice session, well done ! :-)

tisnotover wrote: »
    Very nice session, well done ! :-)

cheers tno, btw, waswondering, what was your gel intake like for Cork?

cheers tno, btw, waswondering, what was your gel intake like for Cork?

I wore a SIS fuel-gel, had 6 gels in it! walking down to the start. Took one on the line, 5/10mins before, and then 4 more. I reckon ya should look into salt tabs (nuun?) as well, Gringo gave me one of his about the 15mile mark I remember and I had a virtual one at mile 23! ;) Very easy on stomach and was refreshing too like.

tisnotover wrote: »
    I wore a SIS fuel-gel, had 6 gels in it! walking down to the start. Took one on the line, 5/10mins before, and then 4 more. I reckon ya should look into salt tabs (nuun?) as well, Gringo gave me one of his about the 15mile mark I remember and I had a virtual one at mile 23! ;) Very easy on stomach and was refreshing too like.

Re the gels, thats more or less what I was thinking. I'll be running with as little on as possible so no gel belts :rolleyes:, but I had/have planned to take 1 before the start and another at 10, 20 & 30K. I was just starting to get a bit anxious though that I may be taking too much. Normally they don't bother me, I took 1 before the start of the 1/2 and 2 more during it with no side affects.

Was thinking a while back about the salt tablets, I was reading in P&D about the amount of water (and salt) you lose through sweat, I weighed myself before and after a 20 miler a few weeks back and couldn't believe that I had lost 6.8lbs :eek:

I think that was one of the reasons why I crashed last year, rather than drinking the water I was using the thing like it was bloody mouth wash and spitting it out !

6.5mls easy with my 13 yr old nephew. Nice & easy which is what I wanted. Average pace was 7:55, although the last half mile was 6:50 pace, won't be long now and he'll be leaving me in his dust :mad:

• Advertisement

17mls easy, which was nice as there was 17 of us out this morning !

Here the splits:

2mls - 16:14 (8:07)
    5mls - 37:49 (7:34)
    8mls - 7:32
    9mls - 7:28
    10mls - 7:21
    11mls - 7:16
    12mls - 7:19
    13mls - 7:05
    14mls - 7:14
    15mls - 7:00
    16mls - 8:03
    17mls - 8:04

Tbh, I probably went a bit too fast, felt good and I was running well within my comfort zone. Didn't go crazy though and start doing pmp's, which was good.

Distance = 17mls
    Time = 2:08:31/7:33 mile

Week Distance :- 52mls

Advertisement