Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Speedy44 wrote: »
    17mls easy, which was nice as there was 17 of us out this morning !

Here the splits:

2mls - 16:14 (8:07)
    5mls - 37:49 (7:34)
    8mls - 7:32
    9mls - 7:28
    10mls - 7:21
    11mls - 7:16
    12mls - 7:19
    13mls - 7:05
    14mls - 7:14
    15mls - 7:00
    16mls - 8:03
    17mls - 8:04

Tbh, I probably went a bit too fast, felt good and I was running well within my comfort zone. Didn't go crazy though and start doing pmp's, which was good.

Distance = 17mls
    Time = 2:08:31/7:33 mile

Week Distance :- 52mls

your in great shape and it seams like your going to peak at the right time speedy!......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

seanynova wrote: »
    your in great shape and it seams like your going to peak at the right time speedy!......

fingers crossed Seany,fingers crossed ;)

No running these past 2 days. Yesterday was planned, today, not. Cold has moved from head to chest, don't feel very bad, almost went out but decided it would probably be of no benefit to risk it for the sake of 5-6mls.

Hopefully I'll be ok tomorrow as it's track day. I'm sure its nothing too hectic but I'd still like to do it.

No running these past 2 days. Yesterday was planned, today, not. Cold has moved from head to chest, don't feel very bad, almost went out but decided it would probably be of no benefit to risk it for the sake of 5-6mls.

Hopefully I'll be ok tomorrow as it's track day. I'm sure its nothing too hectic but I'd still like to do it.

bad one! i kinda know how you feel though, no running these last 2days for me too, but its cos i have an exam tomorrow!!! shiver.....
    i still reckon ill get in 35-40m this week with another days rest also....still, not the best way to plan the running week....might still be tired come sunday like!

seanynova wrote: »
    bad one! i kinda know how you feel though, no running these last 2days for me too, but its cos i have an exam tomorrow!!! shiver.....
    i still reckon ill get in 35-40m this week with another days rest also....still, not the best way to plan the running week....might still be tired come sunday like!

how sad are we, we miss 2 days after over 3 months of training and we're fretting about it :rolleyes:
    I'm wearly about trying to makeup sessions as well at this point. I had also planned to take Saturday off, but I'll see how I feel and may do 4 or 5mls.
    Should still get in 40 or so as well.

• Advertisement

how sad are we, we miss 2 days after over 3 months of training and we're fretting about it :rolleyes:
    I'm wearly about trying to makeup sessions as well at this point. I had also planned to take Saturday off, but I'll see how I feel and may do 4 or 5mls.
    Should still get in 40 or so as well.

well it is taper madness.,....oh and i did just miss over a week not that long ago, so im allowed be ticked off for not stringing a good taper together....

4 x 400m, 15mins tempo, 4 x 400m
    30 sec rec between 400's, 3mins between sets.

Times were:
    80, 82, 80, 80
    2.48mls (6:03/ml)
    84, 79, 78, 75

Another one done. Felt pretty good, not great though, legs a bit heavy, think I still have the cold.

Distance = 8.75mls

4 x 400m, 15mins tempo, 4 x 400m
    30 sec rec between 400's, 3mins between sets.

Times were:
    80, 82, 80, 80
    2.48mls (6:03/ml)
    84, 79, 78, 75

Another one done. Felt pretty good, not great though, legs a bit heavy, think I still have the cold.

Distance = 8.75mls

very interesting session and a fast tempo to boot!!! happy days....

6mls recovery run nice n' easy. Think I averaged about 7:40-45.
    Legs a bit sore so probably good that I did it on grass.

Felt good, one of those days that you just feel like picking up the pace and keep going forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

6mls recovery run nice n' easy. Think I averaged about 7:40-45.
    Legs a bit sore so probably good that I did it on grass.

Felt good, one of those days that you just feel like picking up the pace and keep going forever.

A good week for ya overall with the 17 miler, club session and the 6 miler. You'll deffo give sub 3 a run for its money (excuse the pun:)). Hoping i'll be keeping up with ya on the big day :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

smmoore79 wrote: »
    A good week for ya overall with the 17 miler, club session and the 6 miler. You'll deffo give sub 3 a run for its money (excuse the pun:)). Hoping i'll be keeping up with ya on the big day :rolleyes:

cheers smmoore. Oh yerself & seaney will definitely be up there. The 'fun' will start after 20mls :rolleyes:

Was awake most of the night, can't shake this damn cold. A few nights this week I wake up sweating, think my body is trying to shake a mild fever. Don't want to puch things too much. May take a visit to the doc today to be on the safe side. As well as things have been going, would like to keep getting out there if I can, especially Sundays 12-13mls.

cheers smmoore. Oh yerself & seaney will definitely be up there. The 'fun' will start after 20mls :rolleyes:

Was awake most of the night, can't shake this damn cold. A few nights this week I wake up sweating, think my body is trying to shake a mild fever. Don't want to puch things too much. May take a visit to the doc today to be on the safe side. As well as things have been going, would like to keep getting out there if I can, especially Sundays 12-13mls.

Id be a happy man if i was within a half mile of you boys come mile 20! Usually i take a turn around mile 17/18, hopin that I can push this out to over 20 on the day. A nice slow 12 miler might sweat the cold outta ya. Just keep takin the lemsip for the Vit C boost :rolleyes:

Had to, well, more like decided to, take yesterday off as well. Thats 3 days this week due to this damn cold. Started a course of antibiotics as well, want to try and get rid of it before I get too close to the big day.

Wasn't sure whether your supposed to run while taking antibiotics or not, but I felt ok today when I woke up. Amazing what 10+ hrs of sleep will do for you :rolleyes:

Just did 6.5mls easy with 10 x 100m strides thrown in for good measure.
    Felt pretty good, lovely day for it. Average pace was 7:38/ml.

Will do 12-13mls tomorrow morning and then go for my first ever rub down in the afternoon :eek: I was hesitant about this but the guy is a sub 2:50 marathoner and knows what I'm looking for so promises to go easy on me, and says I will be grateful in the last few miles :D

12.5mls nice & easy. Would love if the weather was like this for DCM. Calm, dry & cool.
    Average pace was 7:47, felt pretty good, although the legs were a bit heavy/tired towards the end. Could be due to the antibiotics.

Going for rub down this afternoon, hopefully it'll help.

Week Distance = 34mls, wish I had done more but could only get out 4 times due to the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How did you get on with the gels/ pins Speedy?

nice job speedy.....enjoy the last week now and see ya in dub!

littlebug wrote: »
    How did you get on with the gels/ pins Speedy?

Hiya LB, forgot to buy the damn things so I'll be trying it out this week, although the days are gettting very limited now eh ;)

Spoke to a couple of guys at the club though who have used this method before, and they recommend it.

6.5mls easy. First time having to break out the tights and hat. Didn't feel like going out, but felt ok once I did. Only averaged 7:59, not that it matters at this stage. Legs felt a bit sluggish, as has been said, hard to imagine running 1min+ fast for 20mls more in 6 days time :eek:

Practiced lots of positive reinforcement this evening, need all the help I can get to get over the last few miles :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

6.5mls easy. First time having to break out the tights and hat. Didn't feel like going out, but felt ok once I did. Only averaged 7:59, not that it matters at this stage. Legs felt a bit sluggish, as has been said, hard to imagine running 1min+ fast for 20mls more in 6 days time :eek:

Look back over your training logs remind yourself of all the good sessions and PMP miles you managed during heavy mileage and hard weeks.

You will come good have faith in your training and it will get you around you are in the shape to do it you just need to reming yourself :D

Practiced lots of positive reinforcement this evening, need all the help I can get to get over the last few miles :rolleyes:

The exact same thoughts occurred to me aswell doin 6 miles tonight!! Whats your plan up until the marathon? Think i'll just stick to a couple of easy runs myself..

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Look back over your training logs remind yourself of all the good sessions and PMP miles you managed during heavy mileage and hard weeks.

You will come good have faith in your training and it will get you around you are in the shape to do it you just need to reming yourself :D

Now thats the kind of positive reinforcement I'm talking about :D

smmoore79 wrote: »
    The exact same thoughts occurred to me aswell doin 6 miles tonight!! Whats your plan up until the marathon? Think i'll just stick to a couple of easy runs myself..

great minds buddy, lets take it as a good omen ;)

Wed - Track, well, more like 7mls total with 2mls at pmp
    Thur - rest
    Fri - 5.5mls with 6 x 100m strides
    Sat - 4mls
    Sun - Rest or 4mls

great minds buddy, lets take it as a good omen ;)

Wed - Track, well, more like 7mls total with 2mls at pmp
    Thur - rest
    Fri - 5.5mls with 6 x 100m strides
    Sat - 4mls
    Sun - Rest or 4mls

Looks like youre stickin to the PD plan! Gonna be at a wedding Friday and need to head over to the folks later so my plan will be;
    Wed Rest
    Thur 7 miles w/2 at pace
    Fri Rest
    Sat 4 miles easy
    Sun Rest

Well, we met at the track, but ran around the fields.

Plan was 2 x 3mins @ 5K pace & 10mins @ 10k pace with 75 sec/rec.
    Probably started off the first 3mins a tad fast so had to apply the breaks.
    More conservative with the 2nd one. Took it easy enough for the 10mins, although did pick up the pace a bit for the last few minutes, nothing major though.

Still fighting this damn cold, its not too bad but can feel it in my chest. I'm taking multivitamins and drinking lots of water so whatever happens now happens.

Splits were:
    3mins - 6:00/ml pace
    75 secs rest
    3mins - 6:12/ml pace
    1:45 secs rest
    10mins - 6:25/ml pace

Distace = 6.5mls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

all the best for DCM speedy, hope your over the worst of the cold, give it socks!

tisnotover wrote: »
    all the best for DCM speedy, hope your over the worst of the cold, give it socks!

cheers tno.
    Tbh, my daughter has a bad cold now so I was up with her last night, no sooner had I got her back to sleep when I started coughing up a storm :eek:

Don't feel too bad now though, actually wish the damn thing was on today, legs feel good. Looking forward to it.
    Bought the gels (and a case of miller :D) this morning. No beer now for 8wks, have to admit I feel better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Speedy! I'd say you're over the worst of the cold now... just in time. A bit of tlc over the weekend and no bother to you on Monday.

all the best now speedy, catch ya in dub, take it handy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck Speedy. See you at the start. Have a great run.

• Advertisement

Well I finally tried out my gel plan, nothing like last minute or wah ;)

I pinned 4 to my shorts following these instructions http://coachlevi.com/running/how-to-pin-energy-gels-to-your-running-shorts/ ............ thing is, I went a little to close to the centre :eek:, so glad I tried it out first.
    Apart from that they felt fine. I'm going to take one before the start, carry one which I'll take at 5mls, stick one in the pocket (10mls) and pin the other 2 (15 & 20mls).

Did 4mls easy this morning at 8:16/ml pace, great morning for it. Legs felt heavy as lead (of course), apart from that nothing to report.

Best of luck to all the boardies that I've been going back & forth with, and thanks for all the comments & advice.

Now.......................... LET'S GET READY TO RUM-BLLLEEEEEE :D:D:D

Advertisement