Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Dont worry Speedy, there will be a day of reckoning in Rotterdam! Injury permitting I should be there too :D or Paris. Its a toss between those 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

After slowly struggling back in the first six months of 2018 to where I was up to running almost 40mls per week, I spent the second half of the year trying to shake an achilles injury.

As it was though, I have been gradually losing fitness since 2014-15 due mostly to lack of training. I have gone from regulerly running sub 18 5k's to a 21mins last year :rolleyes:

Anyway,I have 3 long term goals;

1. DCM which I am doing to get the qualifying time for Boston 2021, which is the 125th. I ran the 100th so I figured why not :D. BQ for my age group will be 3:35 so I don't see this been a problem.

2. World Masters 2020 in Toronto where I plan to do the 800m. Will have to get down well under 2:20 to feel like I belong there.

3. Boston 2021.

So, I ran 4 easy days last week for a total of 18.5mls. Felt pretty good most of the time. I moved from Galway to Kilkenny last year for work and last night hooked up with KCH just for a bit of company really.

Have to say it was great been on the track with some other people, I missed that feeling. Did a mighty sesion of 4 x 200m off 400m rec, average was 45secs, never thought I would be happy running so slow :rolleyes: When I was doing a session of 200's a few years ago with GCH the average with a rec like that would be close to 30 secs! Anyway, its a start and I plan to enjoy the journey. I also need to lose about 10-12kg :eek:

Short term I will take in 2-3 park runs and do the the National 10k and the Streets of Kilkenny 5k in April.

Got out four days this week again. Ran 4mls yesterday and 5mls this morning. Was going to do 6.5mls today but was feeling very tired and didn't want to force it. Probably because of Thursdays session and first back-to-back runs for a while.

Consistancy and patience :D

Another decent week under the belt. Got out four days again, so the consistancy is there. Three 5 mile runs and a session of 2's and 4's on the track with rolling recovery's. Got in 22 mliles in total for the week.

On a more important note, last night I started taking the anti-depressants that were perscribed for me a few weeks ago by my GP. Have been going back and forth as to whether or not I should take them for fear of side effects, and, believe it or not, how it may affect my running :confused:

As someone who has been a life long runner and has more or less always felt strong mentally, to admit that I need more help I have to say is difficult. It is even more 'ironic' because I work in the mental health business and am a qualified counsellor. I would normally be the person telling people that you would take a pill if you had diabetes, or any other ailment, maybe even a cold; so there is no difference in taking a pill if you don't feel well mentally.

A friend of mine who was a very good runner, and also a counsellor, took her own life a few months ago, and that was both heartbreaking and a wake up call. So I'll stick with them as perscribed and see how it goes.

It is obviously very early yet, but this mornings run was a minute slower per mile than usual :(

The above is a great song, but I have to say I much prefer a Sunday morning long run :D. Well, long'ish, got almost 8mls done this morning in the cold, windy but lovely sunny weather.
    Great to feel like I'm getting there. A loooonnngggg way to go, but there is no hurry.

Good week under belt too:

Tuesday - 6.2mls easy
    Wednesday - 3.4mls easy
    Thursday - We ended up doing a mile timetrial on the track with KCH. Ran 6:40, the kind of pace I would have been doing for a steady 8ml run a few years back. But, like I said, there its a start, so I'm happy enough with it. Another positive is that I kept the pace steady; 1:39-1:41-1:40-1:38.

Will be doing it again in another 4 weeks so will be interesting to compare.

Week - 24.5mls

• Advertisement

Been neglectful in posting for the last month.

Things have been progressing slowly, my weekly totals have now gone from 24mls, 27mls, 30mls, and 32mls.
    This week unfortunately will be only 6mls as I picked up a niggle in my hammer on Tuesday. Went to local physio on Thursday for some work, it feels a lot better and I probably could run on it today, but I am going to give it until Monday to be on the safe side. Don't want to rush it; DCM is a long way off yet :D

Advertisement