Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

6mls easy, nothing to report really. Averaged about 8mins/ml, started off at about 9's and finished closer to 7's. Wanted to take it easy with the race tomorrow.
    Should be interesting, first race since DCM, not sure what to expect, would like to get under 30mins (8K) but since its still early in the season won't be too dissapointed if I'm a bit over, as long as its only a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of Luck,Speedy....
    Look forward to reading the report.

Well, as I said, I wanted to get under 30, but I'll take that. Splits were 3:32, 3:48, 3:49, 3:44 (14:53 at half), 3:46, 3:48, 3:55 & 3:50. Gave it a good effort and left everything out there, even managed a sprint finish! Last year I ran 32:30 so its a step in the right direction.

Managed to beat a lot of guys that I'm usually behind, although I think most of these lads wern't inclined to run during the inclement weather, but hey, thats their probelm :D

10K next Sunday ...............

I forgot to mention that I actually managed to finish 1st in the O/40 cat, first trophy I think I ever won. The kids were very proud :), and the BH was very happy when I brought home some wine, cheese & beer (lite, of course!) with the cash winnings. So tonight we will splurge a little, but tomorrow its back to business. Yay me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done speedy. That's a great achievement. I was out watching today (well assuming you were where I think you were :D) and it was certainly a strong bunch of runners out there. I was very happy to be on the other side of the fence.:)

• Advertisement

well done Speedy...not many on here can say they won there catagory in a race....enjoy the splurge

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Speedy! Great running. Reap the rewards! What time are you going for, in the 10k next week?

Well done Speedy! Great running. Reap the rewards! What time are you going for, in the 10k next week?

tanx Krusty, I think I'll be happpy to go under 38mins, but be happier to go under 37:30 ! But if I don't, it'll come sooner rather than later.

and of course I want to go under 36:30 this year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

well done, great race for the start of the year.

• Advertisement

8mls easy with the club. Nice to be able to run with others. Felt a bit sluggish at first, probably due to the race yesterday (or the post race beers :rolleyes: ). Felt better as the run went on. Average pace was 8:07.

The things we do to improve, I ask you people ! I read that Beetroot Juice has these magical ingrediants in it that will guarentee an athlete to shave significant time off his, well, his times. Think the study said 2% improvement, which by my calculations is 6secs off a 5min/ml. I'm not going to hold my breath (not a good thing to do whilst running :rolleyes:) but what the hell, anything that will help I'm willing to give it a go. But man is the stuff vile :(.

Just did 6 & a half today. Reading some of the other logs out there, I feel like a lazy basturd, should be up to 70 in a few weeks anyway, with 3 days of quality thrown in there.
    Brought along my new best friend, which is my HRM of course. Schedule called for 150-160 bpm, which is more or less where I kept it. Averaged 7.25/ml, which makes me think that I wish I had got the damn thing sooner as normally on my easy runs I am doing 7:45-8mins/ml.

Where will it all end. Had our club track session this evening. Plan was 4 x 400m @ 5k pace with 30sec/rec, 2mls @ 10k pace + 10secs, and another 4 x 400m. Felt the drop in temp as soon as I got out of the car. Doing the warm up the fog rolled in and the track got progressively worse. The end result was that the 400's were something like 89, 90, 91 & 86, 2mls was 12.14 and the final 400's were 1:40, 1:41, 1:40 & 86. Not really sure how I managed to go faster on the last one and not the others, I think I just decided to risk it and stay with the group, I figured if I start falling I'd just grab on to one of them and bring them down too :D.

So now I am pissed off with the whole thing. Am thinking about doing my 3 x 15mins on Fri but I have a 10k race on Sunday so I may just do a longish run.

Jan 21st

After last nights session I went out today and did 8.25mls. Had my HR on and was keeping it aroung 155 or so as planned for the first 4mls (7.25 aver), after that I had to keep slowing down just to keep it around 165. Next 4mls took me 32:40, and I was wrecked. Not sure what the deal was, maybe last nights session & Sundays race was catching up with me.

Jan 22nd

Back on track! 11mls easy at 7:45 pace, felt fine, actually better as I went along.

Jan 23rd

Almost skipped the run as I ended up walking 5mls yesterday as well, but decided, what the hell, I may as well get out there, if only to clear my head and loosen up before tomorrows race. Just did 5 1/2 @ 7:40/ml pace.

38:03 - 33rd place (I think)

Splits were:
    3:38
    3:40
    3:46
    3:50
    3:54 (18:48)

3:41 (short)
    4:07 (long)
    3:54
    3:56
    3:37 (19:15)

Happy enough, of course I wish I had got under 38, my fastest K was my last so, although I was fairly wrecked at the end, I probably still had a little in the tank.
    Perfect day for it, no wind, dry, although it may have been a few degrees too cold, the bare arms were starting to feel it in the last couple of k's.
    Good course too, a few drags but no real hills.

No more races now for a while, time to get stuck into training.
    58mls for the week, last 4wks have been 46, 50, 52 & 58. Was going to step it up to mid 60's this week, but with the 2 races in the last 8 days, I may back off a bit this week and even take a day off. Will still get my quality sessions in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Just read your log form start to finish. With your weight at 11st 11ib i feel like a fat B******.

In my opinion you woulod have broken 38 at your ease today if the last three days if i read it right were alot easier. Why run 3 days in a row beofre a race with a longish one based on your miles ? What are oyur views on this ??

Congrats on the run. May you have many more pbs........

Just read your log form start to finish. With your weight at 11st 11ib i feel like a fat B******.

In my opinion you woulod have broken 38 at your ease today if the last three days if i read it right were alot easier. Why run 3 days in a row beofre a race with a longish one based on your miles ? What are oyur views on this ??

Congrats on the run. May you have many more pbs........

Hi VR,

First, thanks for the congrats.

Now, to your question. Well, basically, from what I know and my experience, you have certain peaks that you train your body for. My main target(s) this year are the track season and possibly the DCM (have some unfinished business there!).

Right now I am concentrating on building my winter base. As you read my log, you will know that I did the whole physiological test thing before Christmas, so I am now trying to incorporate what I learnt from that into my training. Its a lot of strength work (long intervals at max HR - 15-20mins) as well as getting in the miles (prob max out at 70-75).

Come Spring, I will back off on the mileage a bit and concentrate on shorter intervals.

So to answer your question (finally :rolleyes: ), I am just using these races to push myself and I am more or less training through them.

Did you run today yourself, I thought I read on your log that it was in the plan, or am I getting you mixed up with some other guy?

Jan 25th

I decided to take today off as planned. As mentioned in my last entry, with 2 races in 8 days, its probably not a bad idea.

Even with my 'day off', I still managed to run about 3mls, a combination of 1ml + with my 9yr old daughter (her idea) and the rest with my friend the treadmill (I am doing a Personal Trainer course so have to go to the gym 3 days a week to work with my client/guinea pig :D )

Jan 26th

8 1/4 easy. The first 2 were at 130HR, the next 2 about 140-145 (7:45/ml aver for first 4mls). The next 2mls were at 155-160HR (7:13 aver) and the last 2mls+ at 145-150HR (7:47 aver). Average pace for the run was 7:36.
    Trying to stick to the plan of keeping the HR up around 145-160 for most of my runs. Back to the track tomorrow ..............

5 x 1ml with 90 sec/rec. Times were 5:56, 5:57, 5:58, 5;58 & 5:59.
    Good session, enjoyed it. Was tough but not wrecked, could have done a couple more.

Just did 5 & 1/2 nice and easy, started off with the HR at 130 for the first couple of miles, then got up to 140 and touched on 150 at one stage. Average pace was about 7:45.
    Another tough session lined up for tomorrow so didn't want to push anything.

• Advertisement

Belated congrats on the race Speedy,you seem to be taking it nice and easy,not putting yourself under undue pressure.

Sosa wrote: »
    Belated congrats on the race Speedy,you seem to be taking it nice and easy,not putting yourself under undue pressure.

Cheers Sosa, yea, the plan is to build it up slowly. At my age, I don't want to get injured !
    I'm not sure though whether or not your calling me a lazy bast**d :eek:

Speedy44 wrote: »
    I'm not sure though whether or not your calling me a lazy bast**d :eek:

No...i'm not...after Dublin i have tailed back a bit in my own expectations and i find i am running better because of it.
    I am doing things in training now that i was nowhere near doing training for Dublin,all because i am putting no pressure on myself.

I am training harder now and enjoying it more.

3 x 15mins at 170-175 HR. Tough session, had thought about going out earlier when the sun was shining, but I was hungry so I decided to leave it til 3'ish, knowing in the back of mind that it was probably not a great idea to do that. And of course I was right, ended up not getting out til 4.15pm and it was almost completely dark by the time I was finished.

Was running blind as far as pace or distance went. I did it on the road over a 1 1/2ml+ loop, so I was getting 'lap' splits. 1st one was 10:41, 2nd - 10:57 & the last one 11:04.

Wasn't sure if I would make it through, between the pending darkness, my freezing hands and I was tired (!), at times I felt like I was coasting though. Think I am getting stronger and that my body is getting more used to sustaining max hr.

Still a bit confused though how to do this session, it takes me the best part of a mile to get my hr up to 170+, I feel like I am flying it.

Jan 30th

6 1/2 mls easy.
    Also managed to squeeze in some circuit training a couple of hrs before the run. Havn't done them in years. I was training my client and I figured, what the hell, while I'm here.

Jan 31st

AT 9am in beautiful cold, sunny conditions, I did 13mls @ 7:30 pace. Good run, there were 11 of us there from the club. I was a bit more tired than I usually would be, must have been the circuits, also had a scratchy throat last night. Anyway, thats my easy week over ..................

WEEK DISTANCE = 54.25MLS
    MONTH DISTANCE = 233.25MLS

8 x 400m hills. 2 1/2mls warm up & warm down.

Times/HR were:
    86/166
    85/170
    86/170
    84/171
    84/172
    85/173
    85/174
    84/171

Happy enough with that, felt fairly comfortable after yesterday's 13mls.

Feb 2nd

Just ran 8.25mls nice & easy. Had thoughts about skipping it as I had a scratchy throat and was sneezing a bit. Felt ok until the last couple of mls when my legs started to feel a bit weak. Finished it ok though. Averaged about 7:50/ml, felt like I was going faster.

Feb 3rd

Didn't get out. Some idiot crashed into our car whilst my wife was driving near our house with our daughter in it. Thankfully all ok, except the car. Spent the day on the phone with insurance companie's, doctors & Garda. All this meant that I missed our club track session :-(

I was like a caged animal by the end of the day. Its true what they say, tis running lark is a drug, and I missed my fix!

Feb 4th

Headed up to the track to make up for yesterday. Of course this time had to do it by myself, and in the wind & rain.
    8 x 1K with 200m/90sec rec. Times were 3:43, 3:38, 3:40, 3:40, 3:41, 3:41, 3:43 & 3:42. Happy enough to get through it cause I was feeling it on the 3rd one. Thought my times would be a bit quicker but at least they were fairly consistent.

Distance :- 8mls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

8x1k reps is a good session on your own with only 90secs recovery. glad to hear everyone is okay after the accident, thats the main thing

am - At 9.30am did 5 & 1/2mls easy. Lovely morning for it, going slow but felt fine.

pm - At 4pm I somehow managed to drag myself out the door. My motivation was shot and I was been tempted by Stella waiting for me in the fridge!
    Glad I got out cause I felt good, and better as I went along. Even though I have another tough session lined up for tomorrow, I decided to pick up the pace for a couple of miles, 7:11 & 6:31. Felt a lot better than yesterday.

Forgot to mention that I also did some circuit training yesterday after the track.

Next 9 days are planned as so:

Sat: 3 x 15mins
    Sun: 13mls
    Mon: 10x 400m hills & circuits
    Tues: am, 4mls - pm, 8.25mls
    Wed: Club track session
    Thur: am, 5.5mls - pm 8.25mls
    Fri: 11mls
    Sat: 6 1/2mls
    Sun: 8K Race

• Advertisement

Feb 6th

Scheduled 3 x 15mins at threshold HR, managed 2 x 15 & 1 x11mins ! Had to bring the kids to the movies and realised I was cutting it close.
    Same loop as I did last week so not too sure how much distance I covered. Laps were 10:38, 10:36 & 10:54.
    Felt farly good, a lot more relaxed than last week. Of course the extended break may have helped. Last wk I took 2mins, talked to my coach and he said that I should be taking 5mins, and who am I to argue.

Distance = 10mls

Feb 7th

At 9am did our weekly long run with the club. Nice morning for it, if a bit chilly. Felt very good, whereas last week my legs were sapped today I felt like picking up the pace (we were averaging 7:30/ml).

Distance = 14mls

WEEK DISTANCE = 63mls

Advertisement