Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's some solid mileage you're putting in there. Are you sure there isn't a sneaky marathon around the corner?!
    Sorry to read about the accident, but glad everyone's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

That's some solid mileage you're putting in there. Are you sure there isn't a sneaky marathon around the corner?!
    Sorry to read about the accident, but glad everyone's ok.

Thanks Krusty.
    Believe it or not, all this mileage is just a base for my pending assault on this summers track season. I will be in a new cat, M45, so want to see how far I can take it. Just trying to get string at the moment, come April I'll be dropping it and putting in shorter reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Good training speedy44, I would find it hard to do a long run the day after a good tempo session, fair play.

The plan today was for 10 x 400m hills. Ran out of daylight for that so decided I'd just join in our 8ml club run. These are normally done at 8min/ml pace.

We had a few new folks so we started off at something more like 8:30 pace. After about 3mls we lost one person with a sore leg. We then decided to throw in an 800m effort for the fun of it, of course this was on the only stretch of road with no lights, although it is flat and familier to us. After another 1/2ml or so, we did a U turn to pick up any stragglers, and decided to throw in another 1/2ml effort.

Everything was fine 'til we heard a yell, one of the girls turned her ankle. So of course we threw her into the bay and continued on :D ............ok, we didn't - after a few mins we managed to arrange a lift back to her car and continued on.
    Then we came across the first person that dropped off with a sore leg and one of the guys volunteered to accompany her home.
    During the last 2mls we continued picking up the pace to sub 7's, and threw in 2 hill reps over the last mile.

Bloody hell, I'm even tired just writing about it :rolleyes:

Distance = 8 1/2mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

what club you with speedy?

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    what club you with speedy?

GCH

am - 5 1/2mls easy at 9.30am. Felt pretty comfortable. Just over 8min/ml pace.

pm - 6 1/2mls easy at 4.30pm. Had taken a 30min power nap and woke up at 4.15pm. I felt like I left my damn legs at home for the first few mls. Dragging most of the run. Freezing as well. About the same pae as this morning. Have to pick it up.

Club track session.
    4 x 400m, 45sec/rec (75,81, 83, 80), 90sec/rec -
    1 mile (5:54), 90 sec/rec,
    1.87mls on road (11.40), 90 sec/rec
    4 x 400m, 45sec/rec (84, 81, 79 & 73)

Good tough session, very cold but calm & dry. Happy enough with it.

Also did a few circuits before hand, nothing to heavy though.

Distance = 10mls

9.30am - 4mls nice 'n easy in chilly bright weather. Felt fine after last nights session. It was in my mind to not go too slow, but at the same time I was aware that it was an early morning run so wasn't about to push it too hard.

Distance = 4mls/31:35

3.30pm - 8.25mls, ideal running weather. Felt very good, legs a wee bit light towards the end but nothing much at all. Pace was 7:11, HR 148, felt very comfortable. Funny how you can run 7's and feel better than running a min/ml slower :confused:

Distance for day = 12.25mls

11mls easy in perfect running conditions. Pace 7.20, HR 152.
    Just an easy 7 planned for tomorrow and then an 8K race in Sunday.

• Advertisement

Another perfect running morning. Felt pretty good, took it nice 'n easy, averaged 8min/mls probably doing something like 8.20's for first 2, then 8's and finishing with 7.40's.

Plan for tomorrow is to just go out and see how I feel. Obviously I havn't backed off for it but I think I am reasonable shape to get close to my vet pb of 29:49, although the course isn't the fastest.

Anyway, there, I said it, its out there so here goes nothing :eek:

Distance = 7mls

Well, no pb but I'll take it. Tough, hilly course, as evidenced by the following splits: 3:33, 3:49, 3:49, 3:50 (15:01), 3:40, 3:52, 3:50, 3:36.

Got stuck in nicely, field wasn't as deep as usual, think I finished 8th or 9th overall (1st O/40) so was picking people off after the first k or so. When I hit the halfway point I thought "there goes my sub 30", but a clubmate who normally beats me by 20-30secs over this distance had caught me and I was sticking with him and feeling ok. I had done a warmup out as far as the 5.5k mark so knew that the second half wasn't as bad as the first.

Could hear a few lads behind me all the way to the finish, and sure enough they kicked at the last bend with 150 to go. Three of us had a more or less a blanket finish, I was the meat in that particular sandwich !

Total Distance = 9.25mls

Week Distance = 70mls

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running, and great weekly mileage too. Only 9 seconds away from the pb. You wont be long beating that, with that mileage. Any prizes for O40?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done speedy,always nice to nip in under the 30 mins

Great running, and great weekly mileage too. Only 9 seconds away from the pb. You wont be long beating that, with that mileage. Any prizes for O40?

Cheers Krusty. Last year I ran 30:52 so I'm heading in the right direction :D
    Napped a €50 gift voucher to a local sportstore, so picked up a pair of sketchers for my daughter, put me in the good books for a while !

Feb 15th

8.25mls easy, (7:34/HR 148). Felt fine after yesterday, a small bit stiff but nothing major. Did have a problem though with the outer ankle bone on my right foot. My runners are cutting into it so I find I am overcompensating and am starting to feel a tightness in my right quad.
    The runners aren't that old but I think I should pick up another pair all the same.

Feb 16th

Had planned to run 11-12mls but ankle still bothering me so decided to break it up into 2 runs. Unfortunately I was waiting on an important phone call (which of course never came) so I ran out of daylight to get the 2nd run in. 6.5mls/7:35/HR 151

Did 5.5mls this morning at about 7:40 pace (152 HR). Was draggiing at first then looked at the HRM just before the mile and saw that I was ticking by at 128 bpm, where I'm supposed to be doing my easy runs at 140-155, and even getting up to 160-165 for periods.
    Felt fine when I picked it up, except for one thing ............. thought I was going to explode :mad:

Had a large bowl of porridge for breakfaast, but yesterdays food/drink intake was pancakes for breakfast with icing sugar, more pancakes with maple syrup after my early run. Ham & cheese on french bread, then 2 pieces of breaded chicken with potatos & corn for dinner. I then proceeded to finish the whole damn loaf of french bread (you know the big one you get at tesco) with more ham & cheese. I also had 3 beers watching the Man U match.

Weighed myself on Monday morning and weight had gone from 159.4lbs to 163lbs in 1 wk, the very same week that I ran 70mls. I have cut out biscuits and switched to low fat milk & butter and had cut out white bread until recently. Thing is, I love french bread, but think I'm going to have to kick that to the curb too. For some reason I've also been having a beer or 2 most nights for the past week. THIS HAS TO STOP :(

With all the training I'm doing I don't want my preformances to go down because I'm carrying excess baggage.

OK, I feel better now that I vented :D

Tough session on the track with club. Hope I remember what we did?

1 x 1ml (5:52)
    90 sec/rec
    1 x 1ml (5:48)
    90 sec/rec
    800m (2:52
    1ml rec (7.20)
    800m (2:51)
    90 sec/rec
    1ml (5:53)
    90 sec/rec
    1ml (5:53).

Wore HRM for the first time in a track session. Kept it where it should have been, 170-175. Was fairly wrecked by the time the last mile rolled along. Good workout though, tonight I will be going to bed early.

Distance = 10.5mls

Distance for day = 16mls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Tough session on the track with club. Hope I remember what we did?

1 x 1ml (5:52)
    90 sec/rec
    1 x 1ml (5:48)
    90 sec/rec
    800m (2:52
    1ml rec (7.20)
    800m (2:51)
    90 sec/rec
    1ml (5:53)
    90 sec/rec
    1ml (5:53).

Wore HRM for the first time in a track session. Kept it where it should have been, 170-175. Was fairly wrecked by the time the last mile rolled along. Good workout though, tonight I will be going to bed early.

Distance = 10.5mls

Distance for day = 16mls.

Good strong session with good consistency fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Weighed myself on Monday morning and weight had gone from 159.4lbs to 163lbs in 1 wk, the very same week that I ran 70mls. I have cut out biscuits and switched to low fat milk & butter and had cut out white bread until recently. Thing is, I love french bread, but think I'm going to have to kick that to the curb too. For some reason I've also been having a beer or 2 most nights for the past week. THIS HAS TO STOP :(

With all the training I'm doing I don't want my preformances to go down because I'm carrying excess baggage.

OK, I feel better now that I vented :D[/QUOTE]

Weight kills performance. All habits that 7 days would sort.

• Advertisement

8.25mls easy. Felt good after yesterdays session, thought I would be dragging a lot more. Average pace was 7:16/ml and HR about the 150 or so.

Also did 3 x 25 sit ups & push ups, been trying to do them 3 times a week for the past month or so, with the aim to get up to 3 x 50 and also to throw in 100 of each a couple of times a week

Not sure where that expression came from, and I may even be incorrect in regards to its meaning, but I have always took it to mean 'I funked up', or something like that !

Plan today was to do about 15mls in total, split between 2 runs. I managed 2mls.

Just one of those days when everything went wrong. Kids are off school so between bringing them to their Grandmothers & taking them to the movies, looking at new cars to buy due to the car accident, continue battles with the ins co re same, calling car rental place, shopping, and work commitments, I just didn't have the motivation to run.

The 2mls was supposed to be 5-6mls, I had just about the time to squeeze that in, but I got a stitch, from eating too much fibre I think so I rationalised it that I would probably run later.

Had ample opportunity to do so, was even in my gear, but ended up buying loads of bad crap at Tesco and eating BBQ chips, cashews, chocloates and drinking a few pints of Guinness :(

Decided not too beat myself up too much about it. I have my first x-country race tomorrow since about 1983, so even though the over-indulgence may not have helped, the day off my prove the opposite.
    Plan to get stuck in, enjoy it, and give it a right go.

Well, it was down as a 7K, but seen as I ran 20:09 for it in very tough, energy sapping conditions, I figured it was a tad short ................. according to the lads with their Garmins, it was 5.5K.

Apparently all the races were short, for the life of me I can't understand why at a National Chamionships they can't get something like this correct.

Anyway, on to myself. Have to say it was the hardest race I had for a long time. I had forgot how hard x-country was, I felt like pulling out not long after half way. I really was just hanging in there lap after lap. I knew the laps were short so it helped to tell myself to keep going for another.

Not sure where I finished. I felt so shattered I thought I was running very bad, except for there was a lad that I was going back & forth with who normally finishes 2-3mins ahead of me over 8K, but I figured he was having a bad day too.
    There was another lad from the county who was also just a few places ahead of me, I was using him as an indicater of my pace.

Turns out that I beat some guys by close to 2mins who were beating me last year and who I just beat by 20-30secs over 8K a month ago, so maybe I had a good run :confused:

Took yesterday off altogether. After Friday I lost a bit of motivation and couldn't be bothered, figured with the race it may help me a bit anyway.
    For the next 2wks I really want to get stuck in and do about 75mls/wk and then ease up for the 10 mile race on the 21st.

Week Distance = 48mls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Speedy,cross country is tough ( so im told :D )

Feb 22nd

Managed to squeeze in 8.25mls as darkness fell. Felt fine after yesterday.
    Pace was about the 7:30 & HR 148

Feb 23rd

Finally the weather has changed, for the worse of course. In wind & snow did 10.5mls. Had a hectic day leading up to it, so much so that I had only managed to squeeze in a bagel & scrambled eggs for my breakfast, a mid morning scone and a pre-run banana.
    Due to this, my legs felt a bit wobbly, weak or something, but then I got a 2nd wind I think and started feeling better. Was going along at my now usual 7.30 pace.
    It never ceases to amaze me how you can feel like crap one minute and then in what seems like a matter of yards you can do a complete 180. Me thinks the head may have something to do with it :rolleyes:
    Pace dropped a bit in the last couple of miles but no biggie.

16 x 400m with 30sec/rec.
    Times were 86, 79, 85, 83, 81, 82, 81, 83, 84, 81, 84, 82, 81, 77, 78 & 78.

Typical hard, tough session. First few easy, then breathing harder, then for the last few the lactic acid kicked in and it was hands on knees time. Great to get it done though.

Distance = 8.5mls

Woke up this morning with some very sore quads, I think its called a 'good' pain :confused:
    A few more sessions like last night's track and I may have to give that particular term a rethink !

Anyway, 10.5mls today to recover. It was a bit of a slog, didn't feel bad as such, and at times I actually felt good, but just couldn't get going at all. Still, at least I did it. Pace was 7:30 & HR 152.

Another tough session this evening. 3 x 17 1/2 mins@ threshold HR. Did it cross country with a couple of lads, not sure about distance's covered yet. The 1st one wasn't too bad re the HR, went between 183 & 166.
    The 2nd was all over the shop, hit 200 at one stage and went as low as 162.
    The last one was a mystery. Felt like we were going along at a good clip but for some reason I couldn't get the damn heart rate over 162 !

Started taking a recovery supplement to help with, well, the recovery. Hopefully it'll help. Was talking to a lad during a warm up and he couldn't believe that I was doing a session like this after doing the set of 400's on Wednesday. I didn't even dare tell him that I ran over 10mls yesterday as well ! He put a little bit of doubt into the oul noggin but I think I'll be ok.

Distance = 13mls

Just a nice easy 6mls today. Bit is a mis-mash, 1.5mls on the track with a buddy, and then 4.5mls on the fields. Felt fine after yesterday effort, and the few pints last night :eek:

• Advertisement

13.5 frustrating mls. Roads were very icy in places so it really distrupted the flow of the run. Ended up running about 8min/ml, although at times I was probably doing sub 7's just to try to get going again. Still though, at least I got it done.

Week Distance = 71mls

Month Distance = 252mls

Advertisement