Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

You should bottle your head-cold, and serve it to yourself in a beer, the night before every race from now on. :D
    Congrats on the new PB.

ah, thanks, I think :confused:
    Think I'll try it with the beer first Krusty, feel like sh*t again this morning

littlebug wrote: »
    I know :rolleyes: It's just not right having all these races in such close proximity! I'm also in the midst of the Mayo 5k series :D though i'm treating them as sociable runs rather than races. Otherwise I'll end up in bits!

There's no such things as 'sociable' runs LB, at least in my experience:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Think I'll try it with the beer first Krusty, feel like sh*t again this morning
    Didn't the chairman of the board himself enjoy a couple of pints the night before a big race?! Endorsement enough for me.

Here we go again!

DCM training officially started yesterday, with a day off, of course :rolleyes:

After Thursdays race, I took Friday off, and then ran 5.5mls on Saturday & 6.5mls on Sunday. Had planned to do more but still have the damn chest infection which I am on antibiotics for now.

Today I still wasn't feeling great but decided at about 6pm to give it a go. Glad I did because I felt pretty good from the start. Did 8.25mls and didn't really start to tire until the last mile or so. Average pace was 7:19.

Got the P&D Advanced book yesterday. Have a fair idea of what I am going to do. Will get the mileage up to 85-90mls and get a bunch of mp runs in, and a few races as well. Will do the Galway City 1/2 on Aug 29th, havn't decided what else yet, but will do in the next few days.

Plan was for 10-15 x 400m off 1min, the lower end for us lot racing on Saturday.

Ended up cutting it down to 2 x 4 x 400 as the damn chest infection was kicking in, and the antibiotics could possibly be making me tired :confused:

The session itself wasn't too bad, times were 74, 74, 75, 73 - 74, 74, 78, 75. Glad to just get through it though.

• Advertisement

and 2 steps forward, hopefully :rolleyes:

Since I last reported here I foolishly attempted an 8K race and totally bombed. Was hoping for close to 29mins and ran 31:44 ! Went through 2K in 7:14 then ran out of fuel, was absoloutly nothing left in the legs.
    Was so pissed off (not to mentioned soaked to the skin from the torrential downpours) I didn't even bother with a warm down. Told myself that was it, I needed a break, so of course I got up the next morning and headed off to do 11mls with the club at 9am :mad:

Normally in this run I am holding myself back as it is generally 7:45/ml pace. After the usual slow start we were clipping along at 7:15's by mile 5. I was just about hanging on and ended up walking for a couple of hundred meters with a couple of miles to go. I was wiped.

THIS TIME I REALLY DECIDED I NEED A BREAK!

Was going to take a week. Wasn't even sure it I would make DCM. Chest felt better and felt a bit stronger by Tuesday. Was almost going to run a mile race on the track, had a few Guinness instead so that I couldn't do it :rolleyes:
    Ran 5.5mls yesterday. Felt tired for the first few miles but got stronger near the end. Was only averaging about 7:45-50's

Today I did 6.5mls at 7:15's and felt great, could have kept going a lot longer. Hopefully its all behind me now.
    I won't do any interval/speed sessions for another week, I just want to build up my strength again slowly.

Sunday morning long run at 9am in more or less ideal condidtions. For some reason there was only 4 of us starting off, there's normally at least 6 out. By 4mls we were down to 2, 1 of the lads had done a tri yesterday (how he got out of bed is beyond me), and the other lad was only young and was his first time out so was probably biting off more than he could chew.

Anyway, felt ok, a bit tired with a few miles to go. It was warm though, and we were probably going a bit too fast (aver 7:22'a) considering I want to start back easy after the chest infection. Took a gel with a few miles to go, didn't really feel any great benefit from it, don't think I chased it down with enough water though !

Distance:- 11mls

Week Distance = 23mls (3 sessions)

Mon -
    5.5mls recovery run, aver HR 142. A bit tired after yesterdays long run.
    Time :- 43:20.
    Also did a couple of small circuits in the gym.

Tues -
    8.25mls easy. Aver HR 153, felt for the first few mls, then a bit tired in the middle, then strong again towards the end.
    Time :- 61:30

Wed -
    40min fartlec. This was a tough session. My first one back after the illness. Was going to cut it to 30mins but glad I plodded on. And plodding it was. It felt more like a cross country session with the wind & rain & mud. I was in the 'A' group, with a couple of 15:30 & 16:59 5K guys :eek:
    Not a good idea. So of course I took the first effort and went off like a bat out of hell :o
    The plan was to do 30sec to 5min efforts. The first guy would take the first one, but he wouldn't say how far he was going, then the 2nd lad would take the rec, and again wouldn't say for how long, and then it would be the 3rd lads turn, and so on. By 22mins I was done. Thankfully my lace opened so I had my 'out' to let them get away from me. I dug in for what I had decided was the final 8mins, and they weren't really getting any further ahead. Then another lad joined in so I figured I may as well keep going for the final 10mins. This consisted of a 2min effort by me, 1min rec, 5min affoft by him when I was hanging on, 45 sec rec and then a final 45sec effort by me.

I am now wrecked !

Distance :- 10mls

Plan was for 3 x 12mins @ THR off 4mins. Ended up doing 2. Probably could have pushed out the final one if I really wanted to push it. I was thinking though that with the layoff, I don't want to rush back, and after doing a fartlec on Wednesday & a LSR with 4mls @ pmp scheduled for Sunday, better to be err on the side of caution.

Not sure how far I was running as I don't have the garmin so was just working off the HR & time. Good session though.

Before the run I almost managed to impale myself on one of those swinging gate thingies in Tesco. I was walking out the in gate when it closed and I rammed my groin right into the damn thing. Thankfully, that was all that got damaged :rolleyes:. Was worried that I may not be able to run but it was ok, can't lift the leg though, there goes the footy career !

Just did an easy 6.5mls @ 7:30/ml yesterday to recover from Fridays tempo & to be ready for todays long run.

Ran 14mls this morning with the club group. At 5.5mls, 4 of us set off on our 4mls @ pmp. Two of the lads who are probably in 2:40-45 shape went off ahead so there was just the 2 of us clipping along at 6:45 pace. Felt a bit of a push at first but soon got into a grove and could have kept it going longer if I wanted. Ended up doing the 4mls in 27:05. HR at the start was 165 or so, but that dropped to the high 150's towards the end of it.

Now the funny thing is, as soon as we eased back to 7:25's or so, I felt like crap, like I had no energy left. Also felt like we were running 8min/mls.
    HR was still in the 160's as well :confused:

Was even going to take a short cut and cut a half mile off the run I was feeling so bad, but when my buddy split off at 12.5mls, I was able to slow down to get the HR down to the mid 150's, so I was able to struggle through.

I am following P&D so the pmp runs will be increasing over the next few weeks. Think its a great session and am looking forward to it.

Distance :- 14mls
    Time :- 1:43:58

Week Distance = 52.25mls

• Advertisement

Mon - Rest day

Tues - 8.25mls easy, aver HR was 148, pace about 7:36

Wed -
    Track. 10 x 1K @ 10K pace. I was looking for 37min pace which is 3:42 per K. 200m jog (90secs). Ended up with the following:
    3:34
    3:37
    3:39
    3:38
    3:38

Happy with that, especially the consistency. Felt comfortable enough up until the 7th or 8th one.

Thursday - 6.5mls recovery. Couldn't get the HR out if the 120's for some reason :confused:. Pace was about 7:40 or so.

Friday - 3 x 15mins at threshold pace with 4mins recovery. Had to take 5mins between the 2nd & 3rd one as needed to take some badly needed water on board. Must have sweated off about a stone out there. Ended up discarding as much clothes as possible while still retaining some modesty :rolleyes:.
    Anyway, tough session. Glad to get through it. Not too sure how much distance was covered somewhere between 2.3 & 2.5mls per rep I think. Main thing was though keeping the heart rate at the right level.

Distance :- 12mls

Saturday
    8.25mls easy. I suppose this would go down as a recovery run after yesterdays session! For the 1st 4mls the HR was in the 140's or so bu then for the last 4mls it was in the 160's. I felt fine, was running about 7:32 pace, well within myself, so I've no idea why the HR was so high. Should I have slowed down to get it back to the 140's? By not doing this, was this not a recovery run? Feel like I would have been running 8's if I had slowed down, and like I said, I felt fine :confused:

Sunday
    Long run with club. Got 11mls in first and then met up with about 10 of the lads for the other 11. Plan was for 6mls @ PMP (6:45-50). Problem was the lads that decided to join me on this are all somewhere between 2:40-2:50 guys, so the pace was more like 6:40 or less :(.

I was trying to judge it by my HR, and it was getting more into the threshold territory as the run progressed. Backed off a bit for the last 2mls of it as didn't want to be wrecked at the end.

Distance = 15mls
    Time = 1:48:19 (7:22)

Week Distance= 61mls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Saturday
    8.25mls easy. I suppose this would go down as a recovery run after yesterdays session! For the 1st 4mls the HR was in the 140's or so bu then for the last 4mls it was in the 160's. I felt fine, was running about 7:32 pace, well within myself, so I've no idea why the HR was so high. Should I have slowed down to get it back to the 140's? By not doing this, was this not a recovery run? Feel like I would have been running 8's if I had slowed down, and like I said, I felt fine :confused:

Sunday
    Long run with club. Got 11mls in first and then met up with about 10 of the lads for the other 11. Plan was for 6mls @ PMP (6:45-50). Problem was the lads that decided to join me on this are all somewhere between 2:40-2:50 guys, so the pace was more like 6:40 or less :(.

I was trying to judge it by my HR, and it was getting more into the threshold territory as the run progressed. Backed off a bit for the last 2mls of it as didn't want to be wrecked at the end.

Distance = 15mls
    Time = 1:48:19 (7:22)

Week Distance= 61mls

I reckon you should do the long ones especially pmp on your own. That way you dicate the pace.

I reckon you should do the long ones especially pmp on your own. That way you dicate the pace.

yea, have to agree there. The lad I usually do them with wasn't around this week. My garmin is bust as well so can't really judge the pace. Hope to have it back by next week.

Monday - Easy recovery run after yesterday. 6.75mls on grass, first 2mls very slow with a buddy who's just starting, just what I needed :).

Tuesday - 12.25mls easy. Felt pretty good overall. Aver HR was 146, pace 7:28. Weather was perfect for it. Feel like I've started training for the marathon properly now that I'm doing long'ish runs midweek as well :D

Plan was for 5 or 6 x 1ml at 10K pace with 90secs recovery. That was before I had to go and give a lad a hand to measure a 5k race route, whihc meant running 4mls before I even started the track session. So that, combined with the 12mls yesterday, and the 75mls in the last 7 days, meant that I was shagged before I even started the damn thing :(

So, excuses out of the way (;)), managed to do 5 of them. The group we were with were finished 10-15secs ahead of me, and we were starting together, so this meant that my recovery was down to 75-80secs.

First one was 5:50, then 5:49, then 5:50. At this point the legs were very heavy and I was pondering how wise it was to continue. Decided to back off a bit for the 4th one (6:01) and then decided to call it a day.

So of course what I did was sit out the 5th one and do the 6th :D

Got a damn cramp in my toe at the start of it, so first 200m took 50secs and the first lap 95 secs. Ended up running 5:53 and felt ok doing it, better than the first 4.

Total Distance = 11.5mls

Took yesterday off. Didn't really want too but I've been doing a lot recently so it was probably a wise thing to do. What I should have done was take today off instead, as I was having my last session of the other kind last night with my cousin visiting from Glasgow. :D

So what the best way to cure a hangover, why its run 9mls with 4mls @ half marathon pace of course ;). Left it until 6pm and drank lots of H2O throughout the day. First 4mls were against a very strong wind and I averaged 7:53 for them.
    Once I turned it was a lot better. Times were 6:17, 6:15, 5:57 & 6:10, 24:49 for the 4mls.

Happy with that. Could hardly do 6mins in the mile reps on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

are you running tomorrow or do you have an important job?:D (at the race)

littlebug wrote: »
    are you running tomorrow or do you have an important job?:D

Yes indeed, I have been roped into helping with the whole thing, would much prefer to run, it really is a lot easier :(

I ran in the prom this evening, and if that same wind is blowing tomorrow, they'll be pb's all around.

Best of luck with it LB

• Advertisement

Yes indeed, I have been roped into helping with the whole thing, would much prefer to run, it really is a lot easier :(

I imagine so :( The weather is looking favourable so far... fingers crossed. I hope it all goes well for ye.

Saturday -
    Up early as helping out with the 'streets'. Managed to squeeze in an easy 6mls with some of the lads before the madness really began!

Sunday -
    17.5mls easy, well, that is if you can call 17.5mls easy :D

Actually felt ok considering I was on my feet all day yesterday and lugging barriers & bollards around the place. I thought I'd be lucky to get 11mls in so glad to get it done. Was surprised to see that it we were clipping along at 7:30's, felt a lot slower.

Week Distance = 63mls/6 days.

Monday
    Nice n' easy 8.5mls with the club. Nothing too report.

Tuesday
    12.25mls easy. Lovely day for it, sunny & hot. Found myself running at mp for a couple of miles so I had to tug on the oul reins a bit. Tempo session tomrrow and race on Saturday. Average pace was about 7:22.

Distance = 12.25mls
    Time = 1:30:15

Wednesday

Headed up to the track for the weekly club session. Plan was 12min tempo at threshold pace around the pitches, then back to the track for 5 x 2 1/2mins at 3k-5k pace with 90 rec, then another 12min tempo.

Had in Saturdays 10K race in the back of my mind so didn't know how much I wanted to push this. Have done over 38mls in the past 3 days as well :eek:

Did 2mls in the 12mins, felt pretty strong doing this as well. Took 3mins before next part. Actually did 3mins for the first rep, covered about 900m so it was about 3:20/k pace. Next 4 covered about 720-740 metres. Legs started to feel heavy but managed to cover the most distance in the last one.
    Back down to the pitches again. Decided to just do 5mins for reason mentioned above. Felt pretty good though, strong again.

Distance = 10mls

Just did a wee bit over 4mls today with my nephew at a nice relaxed pace of 8:30/ml pace. Funny how sometimes you feel worse going slow :confused:

Not sure if I'll run tomorrow. The 10K on Saturday isn't a target race but I've been doing a lot recently so at the same time I don't want to run cr*p and get all pissed off :rolleyes:

Decided to do a bit. Did 2.2mls with a buddy at 10:15/ml :eek:, then did another 2.3mls at about 7:30 pace. Looking foward to tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Decided to do a bit. Did 2.2mls with a buddy at 10:15/ml :eek:, then did another 2.3mls at about 7:30 pace. Looking foward to tomorrow.

Best of luck with the 10k, I've a feeling you'll be setting a new 10k target time for me! :-)

Good luck in Claregalway tomorrow Speedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

just been catching up on your log speedy, your in very good shape for DCM in 10ish weeks....have a similar goal to you but mine is a week earlier and im not in as good shape i reckon...there is still time for me i hope!

good luck in the 10k also, will be a good indicator of potential and training paces...

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    just been catching up on your log speedy, your in very good shape for DCM in 10ish weeks....have a similar goal to you but mine is a week earlier and im not in as good shape i reckon...there is still time for me i hope!

good luck in the 10k also, will be a good indicator of potential and training paces...

tanx seanynova, I bottomed out about 4wks ago with a 31:44 8K :eek: race. Had been battling 1 ailment after another for the few wks prior, plus I think I had overraced. Since then I have got stuck into the training and am feeling the benefit.

After the first 2 pmp's I thought there's no way I can keep this pace up for 26mls, but then I did 4mls at half marathon pace (6:12's) feeling pretty good and that really boosted the confidence.

You had a very good session yesterday yourself. I think in the early stages of our training its hard to imagine us hitting our objective's, but then if we keep doing the sessions and stay healthy, it'll come together, then its all a matter of just bringing it all together on the day itself, and sure isn't that the easy part :D

Advertisement