Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

10.08K - 37:51

Splits were:

1K - 3:37 (1.03K)
    2K - 3.35 (976m)
    3K - 4:00 (1.01K)
    4k - 3:44 (1.03K)
    5K - 3:38 (997m) - 18:34
    6K - 3:35 (964m)
    7K - 3:52 (999m)
    8K - 4:07 (1.00K)
    9K - 3:53 (1.00K)
    10K - 3:46 (1.08K) - 19:47

Not happy. Perfect day for it weather wise, tough course. 2 laps, with some nice hills thrown in there (see 3K & 8K).

Felt like I had paced it ok. Knew the course well from the 5K in Spring, didn't make it any easier. With that in mind I was trying to pace myself on the first lap. Was running with a group for a while, they moved ahead occasionally but then I would close on them going up the hills. Was still with them more or less at 5k but then I was really starting to hurt and just taking it K to K.

Glad the wheels didn't fall off altogether. Have been training hard recently so maybe that was still in the legs.

As noted, the course was over by 80m on my garmin, by 90m on my buddies. I spoke to the course measurer after and he is sure its accuate, but is going to measure it again on Monday morning. That 80m I rekon is worth 20secs , so I'll give myself 37:31, thank you very much :D

Talking to some other guy after and he said that the garmin doesn't take into account the hills or something. Not sure what he means by that, but it was definitely a hilly course. Anyone else any ideas on that?

One more note, had a really good sprint finish over the last 150-200m. I was in no mans land but could hear some guy closing on me. Heard my coach on the side of the road shouting me on so I dug in hard.
    My top speed over the last K was 15.9mls per hour, think thats a 3:45 ml :rolleyes:

Total Distance = 9.5mls

Dragged myself out of bed at 7am after having to get up 2 times with my youngest who was having nightmares. Actually remember thinking that my legs felt good as I went up & down the stairs to check on her :)

Felt pretty good from the off. Beautiful morning for it once the fog lifted, some sight running down onto Galway Bay on a morning like this.

As always with these Sunday morning runs, we started off slow and ended up running 7:15's going in the prom. Felt ok up until about 12mls but then I could feel the affects of last night, and I was glad when I was done.

Distance :- 15.25mls
    Time :- 1:54:44 (aver 7:40/ml)

Week Distance = 64mls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

A good time nontheless, any 10k under 38mins is good going. Sounds like you might have switched off a bit in some parts of the race ? You finished very strong like!

Did you talk through it with your coach afterwards? Onwards and upwards speedy !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Talking to some other guy after and he said that the garmin doesn't take into account the hills or something. Not sure what he means by that, but it was definitely a hilly course. Anyone else any ideas on that?
    Congrats on a great 10k time. Re: The Garmin/hills, I kind of explained it here, however, in your case, I wouldn't think it would account for more than a metre or two. 90m on a 10k course is about a 0.9% (less than 1%) out, which would easily be accounted for by GPS inaccuracy and poor racing line.

tisnotover wrote: »
    A good time nontheless, any 10k under 38mins is good going. Sounds like you might have switched off a bit in some parts of the race ? You finished very strong like!

Did you talk through it with your coach afterwards? Onwards and upwards speedy !

Tx tno. Won't see the coach until track on Wednesday. May have switched off a bit because I was running the last 5K more or less by myself. Definitely didn't feel like it at the time though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Monday
    Just did 6.5mls recovery run in about 7:52 pace.

Tuesday
    Plan was for 18mls with 8 @ pmp. Didn't quiet work out that way :mad:

Was going to do 2 loops of 8.25mls and add a bit at the end. Planned to pick it up at 8mls. Did the first 8mls nice & relaxed, HR for first 4mls was 134, 144 for next 4mls. Forgot to get some gels so took some jelly beans with me. Took 1 at 4mls & 2 more at 8, + some water.

Once I started the pmp's, I never felt good. Couldn't relax and felt like the pace was all over the place. Breathing wasn't great at first but settled down a bit. The first 2mls are kinda hilly so I thought that once I get them behind me I'll be ok. Wasn't the case unfortunately. Did first mile in 6:52, then 6:57, and the 3rd in 6:49. At this point I was pushing way too hard to keep it going for another 5mls, no energy in the legs at all.
    Decided to leave it at 4mls pmp, did the last one in 6:57. Was very tempted to stop altogether and then walk, but managed to keep running, very very slowly though (8:57 & 8:12 :eek: ).

In reading the P&D book last night, I figure that I didn't leave enough of a recovery time after Saturdays race & Sundays LSR. I suppose I felt bad about missing a pmp so convinced myself I could squeeze it in. Was pi**ed off after it with all the usual initial bs thoughts about packing it in, there's no way I can do sub 3 etc etc. After a few beers and a days rest yesterday, got the head straight again (and hopefully the legs :rolleyes: ).

Distance :- 14.25mls
    Time :- 1:49:37

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Tuesday
    Plan was for 18mls with 8 @ pmp. Didn't quiet work out that way :mad:

Was going to do 2 loops of 8.25mls and add a bit at the end. Planned to pick it up at 8mls. Did the first 8mls nice & relaxed, HR for first 4mls was 134, 144 for next 4mls. Forgot to get some gels so took some jelly beans with me. Took 1 at 4mls & 2 more at 8, + some water.

Once I started the pmp's, I never felt good. Couldn't relax and felt like the pace was all over the place. Breathing wasn't great at first but settled down a bit. The first 2mls are kinda hilly so I thought that once I get them behind me I'll be ok. Wasn't the case unfortunately. Did first mile in 6:52, then 6:57, and the 3rd in 6:49. At this point I was pushing way too hard to keep it going for another 5mls, no energy in the legs at all.
    Decided to leave it at 4mls pmp, did the last one in 6:57. Was very tempted to stop altogether and then walk, but managed to keep running, very very slowly though (8:57 & 8:12 :eek: ).

In reading the P&D book last night, I figure that I didn't leave enough of a recovery time after Saturdays race & Sundays LSR. I suppose I felt bad about missing a pmp so convinced myself I could squeeze it in. Was pi**ed off after it with all the usual initial bs thoughts about packing it in, there's no way I can do sub 3 etc etc. After a few beers and a days rest yesterday, got the head straight again (and hopefully the legs :rolleyes: ).

same thing happened me this week....p*ssed off myself about it, might try do my PMP miles as part of half/full marathons or something....

seanynova wrote: »
    same thing happened me this week....p*ssed off myself about it, might try do my PMP miles as part of half/full marathons or something....

I suppose if it was easy everybody would be doing it ;)

Heading off to 'attempt' 3 x 17:30 later. Another thing I noted reading P&D last night is that I don't think I'm drinking nearly enough water. For a regular person I think you should be getting about 4 pints/day, throw in the kind of stuff we're doing and your up to at least 6. I'm on my 3rd, and I feel like a bloody camel :rolleyes:.
    Have the Galway City half next weekend so plan is to get as hydrated as possible before then.

Ouch, 3 x 17:30. Tough session.
    Forgot to hit the lap counter on the garmin so missed the first split. Know I did 2.25mls in the warm up my math skills tell me that I covered 2.9mls in the first rep, I think thats an average pace of 6:02.
    Took me a while to get the HR up to where I wanted it to be, 170-175.

Had planned to take 4mins walk/jog between reps. Met a bunch of the lads coming the other way after 3:30 so jumped in with them. They were going a little bit faster than me so I was really battling just to keep going.
    I thought about cutting the session to 2 reps, and maybe even cutting this one short. Breathing was really hard.
    Funny thing is, my HR was only in the 150's and sometimes a bit faster ?
    There was no way I could pick up the pace anymore to get it up higher.
    Covered 2.82mls for an average pace of 6:12/ml.

Took 4:30 rec to even things out, and decided to go for it but try to stay relaxed. It worked. Felt a lot more in control. Its amazing when you back off a bit how you can get through it. Did 2.77mls, average pace 6:19.

Was surprised to see that I did 12.5mls in 1:30:29.
    That perks me up a bit :D

Ouch, 3 x 17:30. Tough session.
    Forgot to hit the lap counter on the garmin so missed the first split. Know I did 2.25mls in the warm up my math skills tell me that I covered 2.9mls in the first rep, I think thats an average pace of 6:02.
    Took me a while to get the HR up to where I wanted it to be, 170-175.

Had planned to take 4mins walk/jog between reps. Met a bunch of the lads coming the other way after 3:30 so jumped in with them. They were going a little bit faster than me so I was really battling just to keep going.
    I thought about cutting the session to 2 reps, and maybe even cutting this one short. Breathing was really hard.
    Funny thing is, my HR was only in the 150's and sometimes a bit faster ?
    There was no way I could pick up the pace anymore to get it up higher.
    Covered 2.82mls for an average pace of 6:12/ml.

Took 4:30 rec to even things out, and decided to go for it but try to stay relaxed. It worked. Felt a lot more in control. Its amazing when you back off a bit how you can get through it. Did 2.77mls, average pace 6:19.

Was surprised to see that I did 12.5mls in 1:30:29.
    That perks me up a bit :D

good session, lot of time spent at tempo pace! i was wondering what you meant by 3 x 17:30, lol....good to work off times rather than distance,
    i have a 2x20min tempo run tomorrow, not looking forward to em as all of my current tempo sessions have been short, max 12mins an interval...sure we will see!

• Advertisement

+1, great session and you hit better splits than I did, jealous !

good session, lot of time spent at tempo pace! i was wondering what you meant by 3 x 17:30, lol....good to work off times rather than distance,
    i have a 2x20min tempo run tomorrow, not looking forward to em as all of my current tempo sessions have been short, max 12mins an interval...sure we will see!

Thats a big jump from 12 up to 20mins Seany. We started off at 15mins, now we are at 17 1/2 mins, and we will tap out at 20mins. We normally stay at one level for 2 or 3 sessions until we're relatively comfortable before we move on. I find these sessions to be a great mental workout as well, just because of there lenght, its similar to race conditions where you have to keep pushing yourself, and sometimes you just feel like stopping but then you may get a second wind, if your lucky !!

Missed yesterday due to work. Wasn't happy about it as I had already taken Wednesday off this week. Still the quality & quantity of the other runs will make up for it.

At 9am this morning I did 18.25mls easy. Splits were:
    8:00, 7:40, 7:55 (1.04mls), 7:05 (.96mls), 7:28
    7:16, 7:20, 7:17, 7:17, 7:28 (water & gel stop)
    7:11, 7:19, 7:18, 7:21, 7:20
    7:21, 7:23, 7:25, 1:49

Felt good most of the way. Lovely morning for it, sunshine with some cooling showers along the way. Got a little bit tired towards the end but definitely had a few more miles in me. Was worried that I was going a bit too fast at times and 'tried' to slow down !

Distance :- 18.25mls
    Time :- 2:15:21 (7:24 average)

Last week I only managed to get out 4 times, which I wasn't happy with at all. The good thing is though that I did 52mls in those days, so don't think I would have lost too much.

This week the plan is to take it a bit easy with Sunday's 1/2 in mind.

Tuesday - 8mls
    Wednesday - Track
    Thursday - 8mls
    Friday - off
    Saturday - 5.5mls

Yesterday I went out twice. The first 'session' was only a 2ml jog with a mate at 9:45 pace.
    Then in the evening I did 10mls easy with the club at 7:0 average.

Distance :- 12mls

Tuesday
    Just did 8.25mls nice n' easy. Felt great. Had to pull some myself back at times when I found myself dipping under 7min/mls. As much as I look forward to a taper when I am slogging it out trying to do tempo/interval sessions, I always find them difficult :rolleyes: ............ although this is just a 'mini' tempo so its not too bad !

Wednesday
    Up to the track with the club. Nothing too strenueous on the menu.
    1ml, 4 x 1K & another mile, 90 secs/rec between everything, all to be done at 1/2 M pace (6:12-15)
    1st ml was done in 6:08, found it fairly comfortable.
    K's were 3:44, 3:50, 3:53 & 3:44 (should have been 3:52's). Legs felt kinda heavy doing these :confused:
    Last mile was 6:01, did the last lap in 88 and felt better shaking the legs up a bit.

Distance = 9.5mls

Thur, Fri & Sat

Was going to take one of these days off and run 5-7mls the other days. Ended up taking 2 days off as one of them consisted of 4hrs+ of garden work, so and I was more wreckd after that than a damn run :rolleyes:

Just ran 4mls in 31;02 yesterday, threw in 3short strides to try and wake the legs up. Is it possible for them to feel heavy and good at the same time?

Sun's starting to come up here in the wesht, wind seems a bit stronger than I thought it was meant to be. Hard to know which way its blowing from looking out, but according to moby its supposed to be at our backs coming in Salthill.

Here goes .......................

Thur, Fri & Sat

Was going to take one of these days off and run 5-7mls the other days. Ended up taking 2 days off as one of them consisted of 4hrs+ of garden work, so and I was more wreckd after that than a damn run :rolleyes:

Just ran 4mls in 31;02 yesterday, threw in 3short strides to try and wake the legs up. Is it possible for them to feel heavy and good at the same time?

Sun's starting to come up here in the wesht, wind seems a bit stronger than I thought it was meant to be. Hard to know which way its blowing from looking out, but according to moby its supposed to be at our backs coming in Salthill.

Here goes .......................

good luck in the race speedy44....look forward to the report!

84:35

1ml - 6:21
    2ml - 6:19
    3ml - 6:16
    4ml - 6:27
    5ml - 6:13
    6ml - 6:24
    7ml - 6:25
    8ml - 6:25
    9ml - 6:03 (.93)
    10ml - 6:57 (1.09)
    11ml - 6:21
    12ml - 6:51 (1.06)
    13ml - 7:27 (1.14)

Was looking for 82mins, isn't hindsight a great thing :rolleyes:
    I now know there was no way I was going to get that time. When we wnet through mile 1 in 6:21, I thought "oh oh, this ain't right"! The first mile is flat and I thought that we would cruise through in my target pac of 6:15. Three lads from the club had start to get a gap but I wisly let them go. I was running with some other lad for the next 3-4mls but then I left him on the hills.
    I was actually thinking about the reports on Ballycotton (tx Sosa & TNO ;)) about not pushing too hard on the hills. At this point I was thinking that if I can go through 6mls only 30scs off my target pace, I could make it up on the 'easier' second half.
    I had taken a gel before the start and then took another one at 10K. I started to feel good at about 5mls, up until then I was definitely not in the zone, every time I glanced at the garmin I was either at 5:50 something or 6:40 something, I just couldn't relax. I was now running in no mans land but chasing down a couple of lads. When we got to 10K one of them who I knew stopped ! He was part of a relay team and had done the mile last night so I was wondering why he was going so well. I caught the other guy at about 7mls and left him behind. After I showered and went back down to see the finish of the marathon, there he was finishing in 3:01:32 !
    Anyway, after I left him, I was by myself the rest of the way. I was hoping to keep feeling good but mile 7 to 8 was a very deceptive, energy sapping drag, follow by a fairly significant hill, thankfully the last. I was definitely feeling it now but just taking it mile to mile. I had one of my club mates in my sights and thought I might catch him,he ended up 16secs ahead of me.
    I was hoping to maybe be able to pick it up for the last 3mls going in the prom and run some 6:10's with the wind at my back, but the legs were starting to feel it. I just tried to run conservatively and not blow up.
    Thankfully I didn't.

I feel ok now a few hours later, think I'm happy enough with it. Would have like another minute or so faster for the confidence going into Dublin, but I think I should be ok. Can't remember where I read it but I remember somewhere it saying that if you multiply your half by 2 & add 8mins it will give you a good indication for your marathon. That will put m at a little over 2:57 which I would definitely take.

Looking forward now to getting stuck into the next 5 hard weeks of training now. I will race a 10K in 4wks but won't ease up for it. Plan to get approx 75mls/wk in, should be fun :D

well done in the race, an 84:35mins is where you need to be at alright, with high mileage and a few more solid tempo/pmp runs the marathon will come handy enough...
    your tempo pace is 6:20m/m ish? thats bang on for sub3 training, daniels says tempo runs should to be at 6:26m/m for sub3...

Nice steady splits there, and a good time well done! Your def on track for the sub-3.

Pity ya ended up in no-man's land, its a runners worst nightmare, unless your winning I imagine :rolleyes: !

Recover well, the next 5 wks are important as ya know. Book a sports massage if the legs are tired during week ?

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    Nice steady splits there, and a good time well done! Your def on track for the sub-3.

Pity ya ended up in no-man's land, its a runners worst nightmare, unless your winning I imagine :rolleyes: !

Recover well, the next 5 wks are important as ya know. Book a sports massage if the legs are tired during week ?

tx tno. At the moment the legs aren't too bad (the beer I just cracked may have something to do with that !) I was origionally thinking about getting stuck into training starting tomorrow, I forgot about that little thing called a 'recovery' !!I'll take it steady this week then give it hell.

Just did 4.5mls very easy today. Felt ok, legs a bit sore. Surprised when I saw I was just running 8:20/ml pace :eek:, now I wonder why that could be :rolleyes:

Found out that I ran 42secs faster than I thought I had yesterday, not quiet sure how that happened but what the hell, maybe its because my Garmin had 13.26mls on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hey you took my precious seconds from me :mad: :p Results have me 49 seconds slower than my garmin did for 13.16 miles.

On Tuesday I did 6.5mls easy. Legs still felt sore, and they also felt a bit jelly'ish as well. Still tired from Sunday no doubt.

Took Wednesday off to try and help the recovery.

Planned to do 12mls today with 8mls @ pmp, well, that is if I was feeling it. I wasn't :rolleyes:

Actually felt ok at first, 1st ml was 7:37, then 7:29, 7:13 & 7:11
    Started off the pmp's with a 6:45, then 6:49 & 6:55. Decided on ml 3 to cut it back to 3 & 1 pmp's. Was feeling tired but could probably have got another few miles out of it. But it was hot, and I didn't want to blow up, and I was reminded how important this week is with the recovery and everything.
    After doing the next mile in 7:37, I threw in another 6:50, and then finished the 10mls with an 8:20.

Tired now, hopefully will be ok tomorrow.

Distance :- 10mls
    Time :- 73:02

Picked up a wee bit of a head cold on Thursday, just the sniffles & sneezing really, body felt ok. Took Friday off as a precaution though.

On Saturday I just did 6.5mls easy at 7:36 pace. Had my last beers before the marathon last night :eek: , also busted out the weighing scales. Need to lose at least 15-20lbs I reckon to give myself a fighting chance.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the scale, had to change the batteries first. Anyway, think I got it working ok.
    It showed me at 166.6lbs before me run (with clothes) and 161.4lbs after it. Find it hard to believe that I lost over 5.2lbs after just running 6 & 1/2 mls :confused:.
    Maybe the fact that I had my clothes (well, shorts, sandles & tshirt) and had eaten when I took the initial weight had something to do with it.

Anyway, whatever I 'really' am at right now, I would like to get down to 150lbs before the marathon.

Btw, I speak in 'lbs' because I'm too old to learn how to speak in kg's and swithched from 'stone' after years in the states, so I ain't about to change now :D

20mls with 8mls @ pmp. After attempting 12mls in Thursday with the 8 at pmp and not quiet getting it, I was hadn't really planned to do this. In the back of my mind though I had decided that if I felt ok I might give it a go.

Here's the splits:

7:57
    7:40
    7:20
    7:37
    46:43 (6mls)
    6:53
    6:52
    6:45
    6:44
    6:46
    6:48
    6:51
    7:39
    7:46

Average pace for the mp's was 6:48, 7:21 for the 20mls.
    Very happy with that run. Felt good doing it, tired on the last couple of miles though, but thats to be expected. Won't do a mp run next weekend, just keep it at 20 easy miles.

Between last weeks 1/2 and this run, I am more confident now about DCM. Feel like its in my hands, as long as I don't blow it.

Distance :- 20mls
    Time :- 2:27:09

20mls with 8mls @ pmp. After attempting 12mls in Thursday with the 8 at pmp and not quiet getting it, I was hadn't really planned to do this. In the back of my mind though I had decided that if I felt ok I might give it a go.

Here's the splits:

7:57
    7:40
    7:20
    7:37
    46:43 (6mls)
    6:53
    6:52
    6:45
    6:46
    6:48
    6:51
    7:39
    7:46

Average pace for the mp's was 6:48, 7:21 for the 20mls.
    Very happy with that run. Felt good doing it, tired on the last couple of miles though, but thats to be expected. Won't do a mp run next weekend, just keep it at 20 easy miles.

Between last weeks 1/2 and this run, I am more confident now about DCM. Feel like its in my hands, as long as I don't blow it.

Distance :- 20mls
    Time :- 2:27:09

solid run there speedy, as well you should be confident about DCM!
    good to alternate hard easy weeks too i think, as per daniels recommendation anyway ;)

6.5mls recovery at 8:05 pace.

Felt sore & tired most of the way, but seem to loosen out towards the end. Conscious not to try and pick it up at all and stick to the true nature of a recovery :rolleyes:

Rest of the week:

Tuesday - 8.25mls easy
    Wednesday - Interval workout on the track
    Thursday - 12mls easy
    Friday - 3 x 17 1/2 minutes at threshold pace
    Saturday - 6.5mls recovery
    Sunday - 20mls LSR
    Total = 74mls

6.5mls recovery at 8:05 pace.

Felt sore & tired most of the way, but seem to loosen out towards the end. Conscious not to try and pick it up at all and stick to the true nature of a recovery :rolleyes:

Rest of the week:

Tuesday - 8.25mls easy
    Wednesday - Interval workout on the track
    Thursday - 12mls easy
    Friday - 3 x 17 1/2 minutes at threshold pace
    Saturday - 6.5mls recovery
    Sunday - 20mls LSR
    Total = 74mls

tough looking week there speedy, will be a very good one to get done! whats the interval plan? pace/duration/recovery?

i dont have any scheduled in the plan but might add in a session towards the end....i have a love/hate relationship with them! :(

• Advertisement

tough looking week there speedy, will be a very good one to get done! whats the interval plan? pace/duration/recovery?

i dont have any scheduled in the plan but might add in a session towards the end....i have a love/hate relationship with them! :(

not sure yet seany. The coach likes to surprise us :eek:

It can be anything from 16 x 400m off 30secs to 8 x 1k at 5K pace off 90secs or a bunch of hills, either way, its always fun :D

Its always about endurance though.

Advertisement