Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a new dawn ......... it's a new day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Speedy44 wrote: »
    either way, its always fun :DQUOTE]

either way it sounds painfull! but no pain, no gain.....good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

My origional plan today was to go to the club session on the track. Found out this was cancelled due to local 5k race.
    The session called for 5 x 6min repeats so thought about going to the track and just doing it by myself. That was until the keys got locked in the car :eek:

The wife wanted to call a locksmith, been a typical male, that wasn't part of the plan (especially when we were quoted €60-€80 !). As I got more frustrated, the window for going to the track was rapidly closing (sort of like the damn car window :rolleyes: ). At this point I was thinking that maybe I'll make the race which was an hour later.

An hour later we got the car open (coat hanger) so no race.

So, now with loads of steam to blow off, I headed off debating whether to do the 5 x 6mins or something else. I choose to do my usual 8.25ml loop but stick in a 5ml tempo. Splits were:
    6:36, 6:35, 6:35, 6:26 & 6:22.

Did the first 2mls easy as a warm up and the last 1.25mls as a warm down. Felt ok during the first couple of miles, breathing was very light but legs felt kinda 'spongy'. Was getting a bit concerned about that and thinking that maybe I'm doing too much too soon etc etc.

Decided to just try and relax and just keep running as I felt at an even pace. Started to feel stronger after halfway, which was strange because at this point I was running into the wind.
    Good run in the end, have to be happy with it. 21secs faster than mp for the 5mls, a few weeks ago I was struggling to hit mp for 4mls. Felt like I could have hammered out a few more in the end.

Averaged 6:57 for the whole run.

Plan was for 12mls, or maybe10, managed 6.5mls :mad:

Started off ok but after a couple of miles legs felt jelly like again. Also, whenever I looked down at the road I felt a bit dizzy, I think! Not like I was going to fall over or anything, just like that the road was moving, which I suppose it was, sort of.

I think I'm losing the plot and am going to take up chess :rolleyes:

Anyway, started rationalising things and decided that 74mls may be too much of a jump from 49mls (even if it was in 5 days) so figured better safe than sorry.

Funny thing was I felt better when I picked it up to sub 7's over the last 1/2 ml to get past the neighbourhood dogs :confused:

Started off ok but after a couple of miles legs felt jelly like again. Also, whenever I looked down at the road I felt a bit dizzy, I think! Not like I was going to fall over or anything, just like that the road was moving, which I suppose it was, sort of.

Anyway, started rationalising things and decided that 74mls may be too much of a jump from 49mls (even if it was in 5 days) so figured better safe than sorry.

Funny thing was I felt better when I picked it up to sub 7's over the last 1/2 ml to get past the neighbourhood dogs :confused:

49miles in 5 days is 9.8m/day
    74miles in 7 days is 10.5/day

doesnt seam like much but when your taking no break days, it could be a bridge too far....anything in the 60s is very good mileage anyway, keep it there for 1 or 2 weeks 1st maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Could be the track sessiond are tiring you out too? they do for me anyways. I also had to stop last week after 5 miles on a 12 mile run. The tuesday before, I did a 3 km race on the track which completely exhausted the legs... This week, the track work was tough but not as intense; and yesterday i got through 12 miles and felt relatively ok..

• Advertisement

3 x 17.30 at threshold pace.

Sort of screwed it up a bit and more or less ignored the HRM and ran as I felt. It turned out like this:

Rep 1 - 2.91mls/average pace 6:00
    Rep 2 - 2.79mls/average pace 6:15
    Rep 3 - 2.68mls/average pace 6:32

Fairly wrecked at the end but glad to get it under the belt.

Total distance was 12mls/7:15 pace

3 x 17.30 at threshold pace.

Sort of screwed it up a bit and more or less ignored the HRM and ran as I felt. It turned out like this:

Rep 1 - 2.91mls/average pace 6:00
    Rep 2 - 2.79mls/average pace 6:15
    Rep 3 - 2.68mls/average pace 6:32

Fairly wrecked at the end but glad to get it under the belt.

Total distance was 12mls/7:15 pace

what is the recovery time between sets?
    they are long reps! plenty on miles at pace, well over 8miles at threshold pace :eek:
    well done...

seanynova wrote: »
    what is the recovery time between sets?
    they are long reps! plenty on miles at pace, well over 8miles at threshold pace :eek:
    well done...

Tx, took a generous recovery, 4mins. Wanted to make sure that I could keep up the intensity & pace

Set out to do my 20mls easy at 10 past 8 this morning. After about 1/2 ml at 8:15 pace, I bumped into one of the lads and decided to turn around and join him. That was the first mistake. He was running 7min/ml pace. I was barely awake for crying out loud :eek:

Thankfully he stopped after 5mls to change his runners so I headed off down the river at a nice leisurely 7:44 pace to join up with the club. Great group out this morning, 14 of us, brilliant autumn morning for it.The next 4mls were about the same pace, then the next 5mls averaged 7:12 :mad:

The last 5mls were 6:52, 7:12, the group were finished so I did the last 3mls by myself in 7:45. 7:42 & 7:44.

Time was 2:28:29 for the 20mls, average 7:25 pace. That was only about a minute slower than last week when I did the 8mls pmp.

Can't be doing that kind of messing again, have to use my head.

Missed Monday as my cold finally got the better of me. Figured it was better to take off the recovery day anyway.

Did 9mls today at 7:28 pace. Felt great, could have gone a lot faster and longer, I love days like this ....................

Track tomorrow.

• Advertisement

16 x 400m, supposed to be at a little faster than 5K pace (should be about 85secs). The rec was 60secs for the first 4 :D, then 45secs for the next 4 :), then 30 secs for the next 4 :( and finally 15secs for the last few :eek:.

They went as follows:
    82, 82, 81, 80
    82, 80, 80, 82
    80, 81, 80, 79
    80, 80, 80, 79

Happy with that session, the first few felt like a walk in the park, but I was afraid that we may be going a bit too fast and would pay for it at the end.
    The last few were torture, that is if we had time to thiink about them. With a 15sec break, its like, stop - hands on knees - breath in - go !

9mls in total.

12.5mls easy. Felt ok after yesterdays track, a little stil at first.
    First mile was 8:09, after that went between 7:27-7:40 for an average of 7:37. Nice to be doing a med long run in the middle of the week now.

16 x 400m, supposed to be at a little faster than 5K pace (should be about 85secs). The rec was 60secs for the first 4 :D, then 45secs for the next 4 :), then 30 secs for the next 4 :( and finally 15secs for the last few :eek:.

They went as follows:
    82, 82, 81, 80
    82, 80, 80, 82
    80, 81, 80, 79
    80, 80, 80, 79

Happy with that session, the first few felt like a walk in the park, but I was afraid that we may be going a bit too fast and would pay for it at the end.
    The last few were torture, that is if we had time to thiink about them. With a 15sec break, its like, stop - hands on knees - breath in - go !

9mls in total.

savage 20miler the other day and an even harder interval session, 15sec recovery!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

thats some interval session, great stuff !

I only did 4*400m and I'm wrecked !

tisnotover wrote: »

tx tno & seaney. Feel like its coming together now,just taking it day to day session to session. Have another tough one today after yesterdays 12 1/2 rec :rolleyes:

Unbelievable session! that will bring your speed levels right up!! And the fact that your pace didnt drop off is a good sign..

tisnotover wrote: »

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Unbelievable session! that will bring your speed levels right up!! And the fact that your pace didnt drop off is a good sign..

yea, as I said, that was my concern. Even though the reps are short, it may also be good experience for pacing for the marathon, as in it feels so damn easy for the first few but you know in the back of your mind that you still have a long way to go.

Origionally I was going to do 3 x 20mins @ threshold pace (170-175bpm).
    Then the coach suggested 2 x 4mls with 2mls steady in the middle as the recovery, so I went with that.

Had a buddy from the club for company, and off we set after a 2.5ml warm up.

Splits are as follows:
    6:29
    6:22
    6:16
    6:20
    8:14 (had to stop to tie my damn lace,almost fell over in the process :rolleyes:)
    7:34
    6:27
    6:26
    6:21
    6:24 - 66:53 for the 10mls/average 6:41

Another good session under the belt. Felt great for the first 4mls, like I could really push on. Glad I didn't 'cause was feeling it for the last half of the next 4mls.

Did it around the fields near the river, we would normally go faster on the road 'cause we have to navigate lots of turns around all the various pitches, so all the more reason to be pleased with it.

1.5mls warm down

Total Distance = 14mls

I was helping out with a 5k this morning so was up at the ungodly hour of 6am, on a Saturday :eek:. I ran about 3k helping put out the km markers.

Was going to do a few more this evening, but it windy & rainy out there :rolleyes:

Still may go out but doubt, have 22mls with 10 @ pmp at 8am tomorrow so want to be ok for that. Feel guilty though, how sad is that !

good tempo run speedy, 2x4m is double what most people do!! and with 2 handy miles in between fair play.....

• Advertisement

The plan was for 22mls with 10mls pmp. Made 20mls with pmp.

Did the first 8mls by myself in at 7:40 average pace, I was going to try and do this at 7:30 pace for some stupid reason, but I wisely backed off the pace. Then I joined in with the club for the next 4mls and did them at 8:08 pace. Took a gel & water at 9.5mls.

Unfortunately there was nobody else doing the pmp's, I know sometimes this is a good thing if they are going faster than you, but I do like the company when I run, it certainly helps to pass the miles.

Anyway, set off up the hills and into the wind, just trying to get into a rythem, without much success. 1st mile was 6:43. Didn't feel great but not too bad. Had a bad nights sleep and the head cold had got worse again, so this wasn't helping anything.
    Did the 2nd mile in 6:46, closer to where I want to be but still not relaxed.
    Mile 3 did feel more comfortable, like I was hitting my stride, breathing was very easy, no strain, then I was shocked when I saw 6:40.
    Turned now so the wind was behind me, didn't feel too bad, slowed the pace down a bit, I calculated that I was 27secs up on pmp, and I wanted to finish the run without dying.
    Took another gel & water at 15.5mls, due to that this mile took me 7:12. Thats ok though I thought, I am still 5 secs up and its good practice for the real deal. Hit the prom now and the wind was really at my back. Wasn't feeling brilliant but not too bad, yet. It was still in my mind though that I had only done 4mls at pmp so far.
    Tried to relax some more and got to 5mls in 6:54. Was starting to feel it.

At this point I had a decision to make. I could turn off and make it 20mls, or keep going on the origional planned route and shoot for the 22mls. I really wasn't feeling good and having to work way to hard to maintain the pace, so I cut it.
    Was hanging on now just to try and complete the next mile at pmp, which I did in 6:57. Funny enough, this gave me an average of 6:52 for the 6mls, the exact pmp.

Had to fight the huge urge to stop altogether when I had done the 18mls, but I had to get back to my car somehow. I had stood around after Fridays session for a bit too long before warming down which wouldn't have helped my cold. I was drenched to the bone with sweat now and didn't want to start getting cold, so I had to keep going.

The last 2mls were agony, 8:27 & 8:46.
    2:32:32 for the 20mls/7:37 average

Lessons learned?
    Well, I supposed I have to learn to pace myself better, been 27secs up on pace in 3mls equates to almost 4 minutes. I think I am relying on the garmin too much, l keep looking at the damn thing, one minute it's telling me I'm going 7:05, the next thing I'm going 6:10. I just want to get into a groove and clip along.

Maybe to listen to my body more and not try a session like this after a bad nights sleep and with a head cold.

Did 65mls for the week, but that was in 5 days.

The plan for next week is:
    Monday - rest or 5-6mls rec (depending on cold)
    Tuesday - 9mls easy
    Wednesday - Track
    Thursday - 10mls easy
    Friday - 12mls
    Saturday - 6.5mls easy
    Sunday - 10k race

10k race next Sunday. I'll do the track session on Wednesday

revised the plan for this week (thanks Ecoli ;) ) and will back off for a bit. Think after a few hard weeks that its probably a good idea. Have the 10K on Sunday as well.

Took yesterday off and just did an easy 8.25mls at 7:34 pace this morning. Felt very good after yesterdays break.

Plan was for 8 x 1k @ 5k pace (3:30) with 90sec (200m) rec. Didn't quite make it.

Managed 6 of them. Times were:
    3:30, 3:23, 3:31, 3:33, 3:42 & 3:26.
    A bit all over the place really. Felt ok on the first one but then went off with a couple of sub 17 guys for some reason. Paid for it on the next few.
    After misjudging the pacing on Sundays long run and now tonight, hopefully I learned my lesson and won't go off too fast on Sunday in the 10K.

After the 5th one felt a bit of tighness in my right hamstring, and I was pushing too hard, so with this supposed to be an easy week and Sunday's race in mind, I decided to just do one more.

Distance = 10mls

Same old story here, thought I was going to run a lot better, no idea any more why I didn't. Totally pissed off with it all at this point.

Splits were:
    1K - 3:38
    2K - 3:45
    3K - 3:44
    4K - 3:53
    5K - 3:56 - 18:56
    6K - 3:42
    7K - 3:49
    8K - 3:56
    9K - 3:52
    10K - 3:38

Had been running well in training before I hit the wall in the LSR/PMP last week. Took it easy in training this week though so thought I'd have a really goodrace in me. It was a tough course, tried to go off conservatively, which I think I did. Most of the hills were in the first half, so I thought if I could get to 5K in 18:40-45, I may be able to get close to 37:00.

Just didn't have it. At least I dipped under 38:00, just about though, I had to make a mad sprint to the line. I ran 37:51 in Claregalway in mid August, thought I would have improved on that by now.

Have to be honest and say confidence is not very high now for the sub 3 attempt. Will just keep banging away though for another week and then taper. 20mls LVSR tomorrow.

Only consolation is that I won the O/45 cat, was tempted to invest the €50 in Guinness on the way home but resisted !

thats not a bad return! 2:58 by mcmillan.....sure look at the lads today all got thier predictions, and based on krustys time in the 10miler mcmillan would put him at 2:48:09, sure didnt he finish with 2:48:11!
    all you training is based on marathon stuff now so the speed will have gone but your stamina and tempo running(not VO2max) have all improoved.....
    get the 20miler done tomorrow and you will be flying it fir dublin.....you have no worries, ill be sitting on the bike again tomorrow :(

Thats still a solid time Speedy. Maybe the course had a part to play with the hills etc. I wouldnt worry too much. Another LSR or 2 will change your confidence. Im hoping this is the case for me too!

seanynova wrote: »
    thats not a bad return! 2:58 by mcmillan.....sure look at the lads today all got thier predictions, and based on krustys time in the 10miler mcmillan would put him at 2:48:09, sure didnt he finish with 2:48:11!
    all you training is based on marathon stuff now so the speed will have gone but your stamina and tempo running(not VO2max) have all improoved.....
    get the 20miler done tomorrow and you will be flying it fir dublin.....you have no worries, ill be sitting on the bike again tomorrow :(

thanks lads. I suppose I'm just getting greedy and now feeling sorry for myself :o .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

thanks lads. I suppose I'm just getting greedy and now feeling sorry for myself :o .

Been there myself ;)

Very good time all the same, you had a big session during wk as well, with the 6*1k and your marathon training, as others are saying, put trust in your training, there's no place for negative thoughts in this log ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

As Seany says, you're not training for a 10km and you bagged a good time. Your training is very very good and MP will feel easy on the day.

• Advertisement

Normally I do my LSR's at 8am on Sunday's but due to yesterdays race, I had to move it to 5pm.

Just wanted to get this done without feeling shattered ............. mission accomplished.

After the usual 1st slow mile of 7:54, the rest of them were between 7:30 & 7:44, average 7:37. Felt relaxed throughout, took it nice and easy, legs felt strong but at the same time I was aware (or afraid :rolleyes: ) that if I increased the pace I could buckle.

Was reading in P&D about drinking water nd how much you should take in. So I weighed myself before & after, couldn't believe the difference, 6.8lbs ! Now I just have to try and figure out how to equate that to liquid form !

Advertisement