Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell !!!! Dont go there!!

• 22-12-2009 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I've always bought locally particularly for larger items as you would expect if there is a problem you would (hope) you might have some hope of getting some customer service!!! Wrong......I bought a Dell laptop a year ago!!!! Not being one to give up easily I have persivered for a year with this gimlet which allows me to do little more than surf the net and send emails! I've taken it back to Curries where I bought it to be told its not their problem, and tell me to speak to Dell I've spent hours on the phone to Dell being passes around from one person to another and hung up on more times than I can count....bottom line I spent well over the odds to support local traders who dont give a monkies about those who do support them.
    I'm off up North in Jan to buy a new computer.
    And Just a word of warning to anyone looking for a new computer, I'd put Dell on the bottom of the list.Their products leave little to be desired and customer service is non existant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dell always used to be at the bottom of my list, and since they decided to take off to foreign climes to get their greasy hands on some EU cash, they're not on my list at all.

Bought a laptop from them a few years ago and it suffered an incurable overheating problem. Some of them, even now, have the same problem, so they obviously haven't improved over the years, and neither, by the sound of it, has their customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Computer90 wrote: »
    I've always bought locally particularly for larger items as you would expect if there is a problem you would (hope) you might have some hope of getting some customer service!!! Wrong......I bought a Dell laptop a year ago!!!! Not being one to give up easily I have persivered for a year with this gimlet which allows me to do little more than surf the net and send emails! I've taken it back to Curries where I bought it to be told its not their problem, and tell me to speak to Dell I've spent hours on the phone to Dell being passes around from one person to another and hung up on more times than I can count....bottom line I spent well over the odds to support local traders who dont give a monkies about those who do support them.
    And Just a word of warning to anyone looking for a new computer, I'd put Dell on the bottom of the list.Their products leave little to be desired and customer service is non existant.

You do know that Currys is an english company, don't you?

I've bought a few Dells over the years and have never had a problem with them (expect for the LCD that the DVI port stopped working on after 18 months, but they did ship a replacement to me the next day, even though I rang at lunchtime on St Patricks Day!!)

What exactly is the problem with the PC? is it simply due to the fact that you bought an under-speced machine because it was cheap?

Most big-name computers ship with a lot of bloatware on them, so the first thing I normally do is to format them and re-install Windows etc. This normally speeds them up a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I have had a Dell Desktop and Dell Laptop with no problems.

I have not had any problems with helplines either....in fact it was one of the reasons I bought a second Dell....fact that I can ring the helpline should anything go wrong.

I go along with the previous poster....how expensive was this Dell you bought and exactly what is the problem.

If you bought a cheap PC with the word Celeron on it.....they are lemons.

C is for Cheap, C is for Celeron and C is for Crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

overheating problems with their laptops are all thanks to NVidia actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

bought a Dell Studio 540 quad core a year ago - loads of RAM, big hard drive - looks the part - quick as lightning - never had a problem with it - 500 quid - runs great with 42" LG TV - future proof for the next 3 or 4 years im hoping

rang Dell for replacement RAM for the old mans PC and it was sent out the next day - turns out the motherboard was fried - they refunded the cost of the RAM the next day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

Have a Dell and it is a pile of poo, however I do find their support good. Would never ever buy one again. RE Currys, had a problem with an IPOD Classic and they messed me around. Refused to leave the store till something was done. Manager came to me as I was holding up the whole que and behold, a new one was given to me. It was only 3 months old but I didn't take their insurance. Knew my rights. Its the boys that work on the floor are the muppets, only intrested in selling and you have to look for them at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 vibhutirs

Totally agree with you. I am a happy man since I dumped Dell... and moved to Mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

nmesisca wrote: »
    overheating problems with their laptops are all thanks to NVidia actually.

....and badly designed cpu cooling set-ups.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

nedoo wrote: »
    . Its the boys that work on the floor are the muppets, only intrested in selling and you have to look for them at that.
    I worked for a sister company of theirs(and before that Harry Moores) , and also for Dell,

They're salespeople , thats their job. They get paid to sell , they dont get paid to do customer support etc and they tend to get a lot of hassle from the management if they're not selling.It's part and parcel of retail , but whenever a salesman sees someone stroll in with an appliance under their arm , or hears "I bought this X weeks ago " their heart sinks.
    Generally the only two options open to them when a customer brings in a faulty item bought within warranty and with a receipt is : a/ arrange for it to be sent back to manufacturer to be fixed/replaced , b get a manager who is allowed to refund/replace, they don't have the ability to do anything else.As a salesman I was never rude to a customer or messed them about , and I'd usually be the first to get a manager for them so I could bend the rules a bit and maybe get it replaced or upgraded straight away* (as it costs nothing to be nice , plus people sometimes would ask for me again when they came in to shop).As for warranties we had it beaten into us to sell them , I dont personally agree with them so I used to make a half hearted attempt to sell them , then go back to the sale.
    {Harry's by the way actually had someone in each shop who used to deal solely with repairs , so the sales people would generally pass the customer over to her (or him, in my shop it was a lovely lady called rosemary)and they'd handle the query and the salesman could go back to selling.}

A few years later I worked for Dell (laptop support actually) , I found the machines by and large to be good enough that ever since I've bought Dell when it came to laptops ,I think the standard of phone support has plummeted since they moved it to india , no offence to the lads there but it tends to be very hard to understand them , and they tend to really work from scripts (if I was diagnosing laptop faults in another languauge I would have to too ).
    I've had several and had no problems with them.

* handy tip , if you've bought an small to medium (i.e. not a TV etc ) electrical device over 40 quid always hang on to the box and receipt for a bit (even if you flatten the box down and put it somewhere) , that way if there's a fault and you're bringing it back to the shop there's more likelyhood that you'll get it replaced there and then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I've taken it back to Curries where I bought it to be told its not their problem, and tell me to speak to Dell

If Curries sold you the laptop then it is Curries' problem. Your contract is with Curries not Dell. I'd be back down to Curries if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

hung up on more times than I can count..

your not unique there im afraid .. i experience this on a regular basis, especially since the support moved to India its a joke, and not being racist but thats how it is ..

Advertisement