Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best technology..edge,3g,wifi with meteor

• 22-12-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

I see some phones have 3g,edge and wifi technology…
    Which is the best technology to have? Or does it make a difference for the intrenet?
    Does it work out cheaper than using the mobile internet technology?
    This is with meteor i am asking about

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

thebourke wrote: »
    Which is the best technology to have.or does it make a difference fopr the intrenet?
    This is wiuth meteor.i am skign about?

3G is required for fast interent on your phone, If you've no 3G coverage where you live it's of no advantage. Edge (2G) can still be used for the internet and may be ok for day to day browsing but it limited in speed to about 256k where 3G can reach speeds of up to 14mb depending on who your with and where you are. Meteor have rolled out 14mb in Galway.
    WIFI is a technology used to connect to a wireless network like your home wifi router, it's speeds depends on the network it's connected to and have nothing got to do with your mobile phone company.

If your after a phone for the internet, all those features would be best, 2G, 3G, WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

3G is required for fast interent on your phone, If you've no 3G coverage where you live it's of no advantage. Edge (2G) can still be used for the internet and may be ok for day to day browsing but it limited in speed to about 256k where 3G can reach speeds of up to 14mb depending on who your with and where you are. Meteor have rolled out 14mb in Galway.
    WIFI is a technology used to connect to a wireless network like your home wifi router, it's speeds depends on the network it's connected to and have nothing got to do with your mobile phone company.

If your after a phone for the internet, all those features would be best, 2G, 3G, WiFi.

2G is referred to as GSM, i.e. voice calls and dial-up Internet access, whereas EDGE is most often referred to as 2.75G.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

thebourke wrote: »
    Which is the best technology to have? Or does it make a difference for the intrenet?
    This is with meteor i am asking about

Wifi is your wireless broadband at home or out and about in "hotspots". Wifi is completely separate to Meteor, so there are no charges from them. EDGE works on GSM networks and is quite fast. It also uses less battery power. 3G is usually faster depending on how much the 3G network is being used. HSDPA is an add on to 3G networks (like EDGE is to GSM or 2G) and is usually much faster than EDGE or 3G. However 3G networks can get quite congested so there are no guarantees...Battery consumption is much faster on 3G networks.
    There's also GPRS which is an add on to 2G networks, this is always slow but is quite reliable and more than useable if there's nothing else in the area. Battery consumption on that would be similar to EDGE.

Advertisement