Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May be moving to Maynooth area next year

Options
  • 22-12-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

My girlfriend has been offered a job with her old employer in Maynooth towards the end of next year and really wants to take the job. For the good of both of us it would make sense for her to take it and I would commute in to town for my job. She lived there a few years ago for college so is familiar with the place and is quite happy at the thought of moving back. She only knows a handful of people left from her college days now though so my big thing is what is Maynooth like for new people moving to the area? Is it all about the students or is there a life for non students (we're a couple in our late twenties) too? Are the pubs always full of students? Not that I have anything against them but I'm passed that part of my life now. Will we feel too old for the place? Should we consider moving to somewhere around Maynooth instead like Celbridge, Leixlip etc?

If anyone has been in a similar situation and moved there not knowing anyone I would love to hear from you. Or if any locals can sell the town to me? I know the ammenities are great with all the shops and restaurants and there's nice walks etc and public transport is good but I suppose meeting new people would be a big thing for me. I guess I don't want to just feel like I'm living there but not feel a part of the place as I've lived in the same town in North Dublin all my life and know everyone so it will be a big step not knowing anyone in a new place.

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

MAB83, I think Maynooth is a great town to live in. You've everything you want on your doorstop from good public transport, restaurants, hotels, the university, a variety of shops, banks, etc and Liffey Valley a bus trip away. I'm originally from Dublin but when I first heard about buying a house in Maynooth I thought it was in the back end of nowhere! All round not a bad place to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Thanks Laurance. It does look like a lovely place to live alright, I was just wondering if any of the locals feel a bit put out with all the students, if it gets a bit much with them everywhere?

Did you meet many new people when you moved out there? Is it an easy enough place to make friends? We're very sociable but I'm sure it can be hard moving to a new place not knowing anyone, how did you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

To be honest I've personally never come across any problems with students. I actually rarely ever see them! You've also to remember they have 3 to 4 month Summer holidays and also Christmas break etc.

It all depends on what estate your moving to; avoid the Old Greenfield area.

There are plenty of lovely estates in Maynooth.

All our neighbours are great people; saying that we did have a problem last year; you'll see from one of my posts; but in today's day and age that could happen anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Traffic can be a bit mental. Puts me off going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i lived in maynooth as both a student and as a worker. Miss the hell out of it. Great little area thats close to Dublin but still quiet. Only thing is you dont want to be in the wrong area for Rag week. In general students are fine (id like to consider myself as a model citizen) but as everywhere has, there will still be some idiots out there! not always students, but there are a few who think Animal House is a how to guide for college.

Outside of the pubs, there are some nice restaurants. and liffey valley/blanch are close so theres always cinema/bowling option. and train to dublin if you get really sick of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We moved there recently.
    We don't live near any students and this really suits me;)
    It is a nice town and has everything within walking distance of where I live,the train in to Dublin city centre is not the worst service in the world either.
    Being a student down also means that there is stuff open 24 hours like Tesco and Mc Donalds which has it's advantages at times:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gofer

LauranceB wrote: »
    To be honest I've personally never come across any problems with students. I actually rarely ever see them! You've also to remember they have 3 to 4 month Summer holidays and also Christmas break etc.

It all depends on what estate your moving to; avoid the Old Greenfield area.

There are plenty of lovely estates in Maynooth.

All our neighbours are great people; saying that we did have a problem last year; you'll see from one of my posts; but in today's day and age that could happen anywhere.

Taking exception to the "avoid Old Greenfield Area". I've lived there for some years now, bought a house in 2004 and find it quiet, far more quiet than some areas in Maynooth which have a large student/transient population. The reputation is largely undeserved and mostly based on ignorance. I have had the pleasure of meeting and integrating with some very decent people. The main population here are elderly, they have been here since it was built in the sixties. Yes, there are plenty of lovely estates in Maynooth, I would rate Old Greenfield among them. Maynooth is a great place to live with lots of amenities, my advice is to rent for a while and get to know from your own experience what areas are for you. Then buy when you are confident that living in Maynooth suits your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Thanks everyone. I know my girlfriend loved living there and says it's a lovely place to live and I have to admit all the amenities are very appealing (I'm from Malahide and we don't have much here compared to Maynooth) We'll rent for a year or two probably. She's hoping for Carton Square to rent as she liked it the most out of all the places she lived in Maynooth.

She knows the odd hanger on still there but hopefully we'll meet new people easily enough and feel more at home there when we move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Osteosam

Just continuing in this line of thought (I too am considering the area and will be moving there knowing no-one, am past the student partying shenanigans to a large degree and such) - are there particular estates that are known student-filled areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Osteosam wrote: »
    Just continuing in this line of thought (I too am considering the area and will be moving there knowing no-one, am past the student partying shenanigans to a large degree and such) - are there particular estates that are known student-filled areas?

The likes of Beaufield, Moyglare, Newtown, Cluain Aoibheann, College Green have always had a high number of students more so than other estates. A few more in there too maybe like Carton Court and Kingsbry. Most estates will probably have a few at least but they have more than most I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Osteosam wrote: »

It might be easier to ask which estates do not have students:)

That is advice from my house hunting experience!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It might be easier to ask which estates do not have students:)

That is advice from my house hunting experience!

Is that list a lot shorter? :D

From my house hunting experience,yes:)

Saying that I barely notice the students:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    From my house hunting experience,yes:)

Saying that I barely notice the students:)

Ah, see, i'm not averse to students either, but have slightly different priorities for my living arrangements and social life than I did while a footloose and fancy free student myself...

Any hot tips on the places you found to be best 'minimal mad student' areas Moonbeam?

I have a baby so really didn't want to be near lots of students!
    It depends what kind and size of house you are looknig for.
    Parklands is definately worth a look,house prices there have come done a lot in the last few months,also look at the older estates.
    Beware of people advertising 4/5/6 bedroom houses too.One of the 5 beds we views in reality was a 3 bed but had had students so dining room and "office" were also listed as bedrooms.
    Some of the estates with students are really nice too but I was hoping for more permanent much quieter neighbors.

Fantastic advice, thanks moonbeam! :)

Advertisement