Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack russell shedding hair

Options
  • 22-12-2009 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I've had my Jack Russell for a few weeks now. Initially he didn't shed any hair whatsoever which I was surprised at, I thought he would at least shed a little bit. But the past week or so he's been shedding loads of hair. Does anyone know why this could be? He went from being a mainly outside dog with his last owner to being inside all the time with me so could it be the heat that's doing this to him? We have a well insulated kennel for him but it's so cold at the moment I can't bare to put him out in it even during the day. I'm a softie I know but he likes his comfort :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

good on yer for keeping him inside - far to ocold out there, could be the fact your bringing him in, but think all dogs are shedding this time of year to get their winter coats - should have seen the amount i got out the GS on Sunday! - try a teaspoon of olive oil in the food to help with the coat - if you think it's excessive could be a skin irritation or allergy - is he looking bald anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Thanks Paul. Yeah maybe it is that he's inside all the time now when he was used to being outside all the time with his previous owners....no bald patches or anything and it doesn't look like there's anything wrong, he's just shedding a lot of it which he didn't do for the first few weeks so was wondering if it's being inside. Not a lot I can do about that I suppose? Hate the thought of putting him out any time soon. He'll always sleep inside at night but maybe once the weather gets milder in a few months he can go out a bit during the day, I think it would be healthier for him anyway to be outside for a little while?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Its because you've got him indoors, my dogs are doing it too as I've brought them indoors because of the cold snap, I could knit me a new dog every day with the amount my 3 are shedding, Lol. Just be sure not to suddenly put him outdoors again 24/7 as he won't be prepared for it with all the hair loss. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Give them a bath, and that will get rid of a good bit of hair.

i'd get a furminator of ebay and that would take out most of the loose hair/undercoat - you may clog your bath with the dog hair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to point out - the OP isn't asking how to get rid of hair, they're asking why their pet is shedding so much suddenly.

sorry - just trying to help them not clog bath with dog hair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You brought them into the warmth - so they're shedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Paul91 wrote: »
    good on yer for keeping him inside - far to ocold out there, could be the fact your bringing him in, but think all dogs are shedding this time of year to get their winter coats - should have seen the amount i got out the GS on Sunday! - try a teaspoon of olive oil in the food to help with the coat - if you think it's excessive could be a skin irritation or allergy - is he looking bald anywhere?
    My dog used to shed a lot but it has reduced lately since we started giving her the olive oil. Mind you one teaspoon a week is enough any more and you might see them going to the toilet a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I find that JRTs shed alot more than some of the other breeds. I got a JRT as a second dog thinking it would shed less than my longer haired collie , how wrong I was :o Now I have 3 JRT types so have given up on not having hair balls in the corners of the room!

• Advertisement
Advertisement