Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countmeout.ie

Options
  • 22-12-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

I know this has come before. This thread is really intended as an update.
    So whose completed their countmeout.ie?

I intend to over the next few weeks. I intend to include as my primary reasons all the child abuse scandals. I think about 5,000 have completed the countmeout process, the more that do it the better. I am waiting so I can write very detailed reasons why I am doing it in the hope it will have a bit more effect.

Break the RC's grip on society.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have been meaning to do it but haven't got as far as posting the damn thing. I really couldn't care either way but I suppose it's a matter of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I have been meaning to do it but haven't got as far as posting the damn thing. I really couldn't care either way but I suppose it's a matter of principle.

Here's my reasoning, say 200,000 people did it it would send out a major signal from the people that the child abuse scandals are the most shameful thing ever to happen in our country.

Especially people, like yourself, who didn't really care about being a catholic statistic but then felt compelled to do it because of the scandals.

When you do it, you can give your reasons to the church. The church would have to go to effort of reading every single one of these letters and hearing about how despicable they have been. This is the complete opposite to the way they have had it. Walk into a church and say whatever they want to a silent congregation.

It would also put more pressure on the government to change Irish education and remove the power nexus of the Catholic Church from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

I downloaded and posted the forms to the local Bishop on Dec 1st, received a reply to my first letter the next week, then received the confirmation of the adjustment of the baptisimal register in or around the 18th.

This was something that I had thought of doing when I first came across the count me out site, shortly after it was set-up but as the RC had no bearing on my life being an atheist, there felt to be little point.

In the wake of the Murphy report though, it felt like the first thing that I could do to register my disgust at both the abuse and the systemtic cover-ups that went all the way to "his infallible-ness" in Rome.

mjg wrote: »
    In the wake of the Murphy report though, it felt like the first thing that I could do to register my disgust at both the abuse and the systemtic cover-ups that went all the way to "his infallible-ness" in Rome.
    I was reticent about it on the basis that an educate together school just might not work out for my kids and doing it might come back to bite me.

However, after reading the Ryan report and one story in particular where they had a competition to see who could rape a particular boy 100 times first on the basis that he had nice eyes, made me absolutely sick. The poor boy tried to damage his eyes several times so they would leave him alone.

I feel morally compelled to do something about this. I feel being an atheist is just an intellectual thing, but I think writing to them and telling them you want out of their club, not because you don't believe their theology but because you are morally outraged at their carry on is one of the most morally important things you could do in your life.

In fact, it's pure agape - ironically. (I might point that out to them, in my letter of defection).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

5286 people isn't a hell of a lot! Don't hold your breath for 200,000 or even 20,000. Not any time soon anyway. It's a decent form of protest but I doubt anyone in the church will actually be too bothered by a few extra 100 people "opting out" in the wake of the Murphy report.

Removing the church's influence from our hospitals and schools would or at least should be a priority. Little chance though that that will happen any time soon either. I think the church owns many of the country's schools and hospitals, or at least the land they were built on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

5286 people isn't a hell of a lot! Don't hold your breath for 200,000 or even 20,000. Not any time soon anyway. It's a decent form of protest but I doubt anyone in the church will actually be too bothered by a few extra 100 people "opting out" in the wake of the Murphy report.

Removing the church's influence from our hospitals and schools would or at least should be a priority. Little chance though that that will happen any time soon either. I think the church owns many of the country's schools and hospitals, or at least the land they were built on.
    That's 5000 people since the site started up. AFAIK it only got started this year. Not bad going really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I feel morally compelled to do something about this. I feel being an atheist is just an intellectual thing, but I think writing to them and telling them you want out of their club, not because you don't believe their theology but because you are morally outraged at their carry on is one of the most morally important things you could do in your life.

Well said. I sent my letter of defection and other relevant details off last week. I didn't change the cover letter just used the default one from the countmeout website. I look forward to receiving a reply. Has anyone received a personalised response saying sorry for letting you down, you can meet us to talk etc? Somehow I doubt it.

After I told a friend I sent off my letter of defection he told me that atheism was becoming a cult. I explained to him how he went to a specially designated extravagantly architectured house of worship weekly where people chanted in unison "let us give thanks to the lord our god, it is right to give him thanks and praise", while a man at the front dressed all in black gave out pieces of their saviour's flesh to be eaten by those present. He accepted my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That's 5000 people since the site started up. AFAIK it only got started this year. Not bad going really.

Yeah, I opted out way before the site was ever started. Unless you write to them saying that you're already out they're not counting you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't really think 5,286 is a lot, tbh, after what has happened.

Although, since I haven't done it myself, I don't think the numbers are indicative of the lack anger at the church - just in the futility of having them (supposedly) remove your name from a dusty book.

Yes, it's a valid form of protest, but not as valid as 2011's upcoming census.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I did it months ago, and these scandals didn't have any bearing on my decision. I am glad I left and extremely glad my name is no longer attached to such a vile organisation.

As Dades says, defecting is all well and good, and i'm glad I did it but even if you're not bothered defecting for whatever reason, if you list yourself and family down as no religion etc... in the census it could have a way bigger impact than defecting if it was done by a majority of "Catholics" who aren't really Catholic.

Countmeout is a personal thing, but the census is a public poll that is recognised by the state and may help (probably not) in creating some form of church/state seperation.

Also, I did first get a letter from the Deacon asking to meet to discuss any issues which I politely declined. Then I got my copy if my adjusted baptismal cert, then a week later a letter from the Archbishop saying how saddened he was when someone leaves and his door is always open...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

NothingMan wrote: »
    I did it months ago, and these scandals didn't have any bearing on my decision. I am glad I left and extremely glad my name is no longer attached to such a vile organisation.

As Dades says, defecting is all well and good, and i'm glad I did it but even if you're not bothered defecting for whatever reason, if you list yourself and family down as no religion etc... in the census it could have a way bigger impact than defecting if it was done by a majority of "Catholics" who aren't really Catholic.

Countmeout is a personal thing, but the census is a public poll that is recognised by the state and may help (probably not) in creating some form of church/state seperation.

Also, I did first get a letter from the Deacon asking to meet to discuss any issues which I politely declined. Then I got my copy if my adjusted baptismal cert, then a week later a letter from the Archbishop saying how saddened he was when someone leaves and his door is always open...

Can I ask how long it took for you to get a reply? I sent my letter off to the bishop in Sligo about 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back yet. It may just be the christmas post of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

In process of doing it- nothing to do with scandals- i heard a priest quoting the numbers they had in their church from their register and start to insist on tax breaks and more involvement in education(lol). That was enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

waraf wrote: »
    Can I ask how long it took for you to get a reply? I sent my letter off to the bishop in Sligo about 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back yet. It may just be the christmas post of course....

I faxed in my forms, and got a first reply asking to meet by post about 2 weeks later. But it was a good month or so after that before I got my adjusted cert.

Funnily enough, I faxed the first signed documents and got a postal reply and then just emailed them every other time, but I always got my replies through post not email. Kinda strange to type a letter and post it instead of just hitting reply in an email.

Dades wrote: »
    Yes, it's a valid form of protest, but not as valid as 2011's upcoming census.
    The problem with the census is the way the question is phrased means that you and me are lumped into "no religion" but as far I remember many minority religions (including PDN if memories serves correct) end up in that box too.

I have been involved in activist campaigns over the years. The most effective method to get change is to make noise. If a lot of people were to go through with countmeout, it would mean the huge number of atheists / agnostics could not be ignored in social and government policy.

I think one failure of the humanist society was they didn't have enough numbers. Bertie, knew this and knew that he wouldn't loose much votes if he strung them along which is what we did.

It would be great achievement of our generation got the country fully secular. That can happen if we all do just a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yeah they've again refused to change the form of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I broached the subject of this with my mother a few days ago. She doesn't mind but she asked if i'm officially leaving the church what other belief system will I take up? She couldn't understand the concept of not believing in any faith whatsoever but she doesn't mind what I do. She has faith herself, but not in any of the churches so to speak, so the whole process of telling her what my plans are was relatively painless. She just told me not to tell my Grandmother.:D So, i'll be printing off and sending my letter once i'm done up here visiting family for Christmas.

Advertisement