Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wellies

• 22-12-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭

I have always worn cheap wellies aound the farm. However as I am getting older I might sacrifice price for some comfort. Anyone recommend a good pair of wellies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Prestige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I wear these http://www.wellie-web.co.uk/wa/1/40/1102-Muck-Boots-Esk.html

Very warm, so not the best for summer or a very mild late spring early autumn. Excellent for winter, warm, dry, very comfortable.

I have mine double jobbing, farming by day out after foxes by night. Handles the Connemara ground fairly well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

theres an advert weekly in the country living supplement in the farmers journal with neoprene lined wellies .
    probaly best to try them on before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dunlop purofort for me

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

I agree dunlop purofort are great wellie..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Dunlop Purofort here again.

As an aside, few farmers seem to realise the advances in clothing since the 1960s. I think if I was farming full time I would have decent goretex gear for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

better to go for the hard toe purofort , 15 quid dearer but money well spent when a cow stands on your toes ;)

once you wear the purofort you will never wear a cheap wellie again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 D.Watson

Got a pair of Duroport+ last week and they're mighty yokes. Dear enough and look like something Neil Armstrong wore on the moon but grand and warm even in this weather. Only got them cos they didn't have the normal ones in steel toe and after a few small bangs on the toes I always go st now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a couple of different types of Purofort, the Thermo and the standard/hard toe.
    The thermo ones are the ones that look like space boots, a little heavy but you will never get cold feet! The standard ones have been updated and are a little lighter now and have a better sole IMO.
    I agree that they are great wellies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

have those green type wellies for years, they are cheap, cant think of the name but they do the job, a bit cold this time of year, also have a pair of dunlop argifort i think or somthing like that, think they are the cheap ver of dunlop wellies, havent tried them yet, also have a pair of these
    http://www.bogsfootwear.com/details.cfm/product/men-classic-high-classic which i got as a present
    very comfy and warm but would you believe they are unbelievably slippy on concrete, with the ice around at the moment you would break your neck with them but even in normal conditions they are slippy on smooth surfaces, bit of an oversight by the manufacturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭red_diesel

Thanks for all the replies guys. Are those Purofort ones usually sold in the local home and farm shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

red_diesel wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Are those Purofort ones usually sold in the local home and farm shop?

yes some of the co op.s stock them but I bought mine here

http://www.farmrite.co.uk/category.php?c=521

as part of an order worked out cheaper,

but for your first time buying I recommend you try them on first to get your correct size etc.,

As somebody said once you wear the purofort you will never wear a nother wellie again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Don't forget a good pair of socks.:D

I got a few CAT Work socks there recently, cheap in Lidl. Good when it's in the minus Celcius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Hunter wellies are great. They have a comfy foot which is great for walking around all in all day and don't slip off when walking through deep mud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

with every one else on the dunlop purofort wellies ,just wore out my first pair, got a puncture. never go back to cheap ones. great for summer and winter , pitty there wasnt a different colour, save on mix ups.
    hope santa got my letter
    good socks just as important as good wellies.
    as for hunter wellies, just make sure your health insurance is paid up;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

purofort are a great wellie had a few pairs another cheaper pair which are even lighter and really comfortable to walk in are nora but after 2 pairs I think they can tear easy but are good for the money like wearing slippers
    http://www.farmrite.co.uk/category.php?c=81

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

just on this topic, if you have cheap wellies, and in this weather even dear ones, put your feet inside a shopping bag then put on your wellies, if you have a hole in the wellies, and use an airtight bag, they'll keep the water out but more importantly your feet will be alot warmer, possibly a bit sweatier, but warm and sweaty would be prefential to cold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone else wear Nora wellies? I find them good. Had a pr of hunters once, they are dangerous, slippy sole esp on wet concrete.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I've worn hunters for years and have never had a problem with them slipping on any surface: concrete in any condition, including the milking parlour or cow yard; mud; slats; etc., etc., etc. Other family members have worn the cheap brands and have found them fine too, although feet tend to sweat a little more than in more expensive brands. I think it's down to personal preference, really. Hunter suit me best as they're the only brand that don't slip off my feet when walking in deep muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

convert wrote: »
    I've worn hunters for years and have never had a problem with them slipping on any surface: concrete in any condition, including the milking parlour or cow yard; mud; slats; etc., etc., etc. Other family members have worn the cheap brands and have found them fine too, although feet tend to sweat a little more than in more expensive brands. I think it's down to personal preference, really. Hunter suit me best as they're the only brand that don't slip off my feet when walking in deep muck.

I had some proper old Hunters from the 1980s which, after a fight with some barbed wire, got ripped. Bought a new pair and they were a total waste of money - the soles split after 8 months.
    On researching more, Hunter had financial problems a few years ago and are now manufactured in Czechoslovakia (or similar) and are rubbish - purely aimed at festival-goers and the novelty market.

Anyway - discovered these crowd today... had used them when I lived in the UK for all my workboots

just ordered a pair of steel toecapped Dunlop wellies from them for less than a tenner http://www.arcosafety.ie/browse/Footwear/Wellingtons/Safety%20and%20Non-Safety%20Wellingtons

AND free delivery in Ireland !!!!! :D

They'll do me for yard-work leaving more money for a nice pair of riding boots I reckon !!

(Mended my old hunters with some tyre-patches)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Keep away from the wellie if ye can at all lads at least when at all possible, bad for the knees, hips and back. Get a good pair of work boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

With all the rain were getting this summer you might consider a pair of Waders
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Grecco wrote: »
    With all the rain were getting this summer you might consider a pair of Waders
    :D

I dunno where it's falling?
    You could walk across the rivers around me with a pair of leather boots on! And I dunno when I saw the ground as hard.

Bizzum wrote: »

Right on my bloody head, that's where! Even sloping fields are soggy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

You could walk across the rivers around me with a pair of leather boots on! And I dunno when I saw the ground as hard.

We have had so much rain in the last 3 weeks, we had to put back in all our sucklers - thankfully we had a bit of silage left over. There is no grass growth as it has been so cold. The last 3 weeks has seen 300% of normal rainfall for this time of year in the North west. If it doesn't dry up soon, this summer is going to be as disasterous as 2009 for silage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Cheap and cheerful pair of wellies for me I'm afraid. Usually end up putting a hole in them with a fork, or thorn of a blackthorn, or some other misfortunate event. Same end the expensive ones would get.:( Long before they would be worn out milage wise.

reilig wrote: »
    We have had so much rain in the last 3 weeks, we had to put back in all our sucklers - thankfully we had a bit of silage left over. There is no grass growth as it has been so cold. The last 3 weeks has seen 300% of normal rainfall for this time of year in the North west. If it doesn't dry up soon, this summer is going to be as disasterous as 2009 for silage.

Is'nt it amazing the variation we can have in such a small country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Jamesleacy501

Dunlop Purofort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

in Clare !!! :D Been up to me knees in a boggy forest earlier, the patches on the awld-style Hunters work a treat !!!
    Dunlop Purofort

tried them - lovely fit but the smallest size is a 6 and I need a 5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Dunlop Purofort all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

mine are Baudou, was Dunlop before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

the muckboot wellies are great, good grip and very comfortabe, only downside is the price, about €80-€100

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Dunlop Purofort all the way
    i always said that too but the last pair i bought split-beside the little toe - after 6 weeks , they are expensive enough without that happening, i swapped it with my husbands wellie as he doesnt use them much , he hasnt said anything yet;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

whelan1 wrote: »
    i always said that too but the last pair i bought split-beside the little toe - after 6 weeks , they are expensive enough without that happening, i swapped it with my husbands wellie as he doesnt use them much , he hasnt said anything yet;)
    thats very dishonest:D why did you not bring them back were you bought them and get a new pair or your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

funny man wrote: »
    mine are Baudou, was Dunlop before this.

Mine are Baudou too, got a new pair, holes in my old ones and the soles had no griips after a lot of use.
    Had to use a pair of steel toed wellies and they were killing my feet and ankles, they were so hard, the new ones are just heaven.

A good bed and a good pair of boots: If you're not in one you're in the other.
    Aigle Paracours for the boots and Oldcastle for the bed!

johngalway wrote: »
    I wear these http://www.wellie-web.co.uk/wa/1/40/1102-Muck-Boots-Esk.html

Very warm, so not the best for summer or a very mild late spring early autumn. Excellent for winter, warm, dry, very comfortable.

I have mine double jobbing, farming by day out after foxes by night. Handles the Connemara ground fairly well.

Got to un-recommend the above now on the grounds of "softness". They split at the seam running up the back of the heel, split at the upper/lower seam near the toe bend as well, also rip easily.

Got Dunlop Purofoot now... Oh, ye've heard of them then :D Mine are the non safety non thermal version with the fishy shaped bit in the sole.

Difference to the MB is the DP has absolutely no ankle support, and are quite slippery at times. Other than that, going grand so far.

Now that I think of it. I rarely wear wellies. 90% of my waking time is spent in a pair of Meindl Burma Pro boots. Wet weather or dry.

Advertisement