Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tottenham to sell robbie keane to celtic?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

ziggy wrote: »

Everything to do with them, what league did they play in the next season with the same team? Did they not make the cup final?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Keane is too good for the SPL, that is painfully obvious.

When he has played this season he has done well, spurs wont be selling him, 'Arry just fancies Defoe and Crouch for whatever reason, probably because he has worked with them for longer than he has with Keane.
    I'd have Keane before either to be honest.
    He'd easily start for Villa, Everton, Fulham and most other established premier league teams, feck, he'd be starting for Liverpool if they had a manager who had a clue what he was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If they had budgets way in excess of others in their league, on the level of premier league teams, and got promoted the same year they played that match, and the above league had only 10/12 teams, you wouldn't be far off it. They were essentially an SPL side in the first division, they were certainly budgeted as such, and the manner of the victory is telling. Other results only further back up the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Slash/ED wrote: »
    If they had budgets way in excess of others in their league, on the level of premier league teams, and got promoted the same year they played that match, and the above league had only 10/12 teams, you wouldn't be far off it. They were essentially an SPL side in the first division, they were certainly budgeted as such, and the manner of the victory is telling. Other results only further back up the point.

Interesting how you rewrite history isnt it?

Gretna finished their one and only season in the SPL on 23 points, 11 points of their nearest challengers.
    They had a goal difference of -51 and only managed to score 32 goals and where relegated by March.

SPL Standard? Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone trying to make out Gretna to be of SPL standard clearly doesnt know Scottish Football aswell as they think.

Unless Desmond gets personally involved, this rumour is dead in the water.

I think Robbie would perform to a similar standard of when Craig Bellamy came to Celtic. For the wages he's reportedly on, that wouldnt be good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Salient fact is last two times, both this decade, Irish and Scottish clubs met in Europe the Irish teams won, and won easily. The three times in the 90's, the Scots all won through. Enough said.

Like I say, I have no major interest in discussing how super duper the EPL is with a bunch of barstoolers, but suffice to say this story does have legs.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Gretna won the cup and promotion to the SPL in the same season. They were SPL bound at the time Derry beat them.

You are on a different planet if you think the top LoI sides wouldn't finish top half of the SPL at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gretna won the cup and promotion to the SPL in the same season. They were SPL bound at the time Derry beat them.

You are on a different planet if you think the top LoI sides wouldn't finish top half of the SPL at the moment.

Wrong Wrong Wrong

The lost in the 2006 SC final

They were promoted to the SPL after the 06-07 season

They were whipped on a regular basis in the SPL.

You dont know your Scottish Football

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Robbie isnt going to Celtic im not sure why the discussion is even happening, even if he was to leave Spurs (not too likely imo) they could get better money from a team more likely to pay his wages in the premiership if it was known he was available, Sunderland for example.

And the fact that by selling him on now Spurs would possibly negate future payments to liverpool does not make him more likely to go to Celtic it just makes him only slighlty more likely to move although he most likely wont anyway, especially not if Pavlychenko does.

this is just a Silly rumour and should not be used as an excuse to post about if the SPL is at a poor standard. If this rumour does the rounds again in around 2 years id be more inclined to believe it as Keanes stock will have most likely fallen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Robbie isnt going to Celtic im not sure why the discussion is even happening, even if he was to leave Spurs (not too likely imo) they could get better money from a team more likely to pay his wages in the premiership if it was known he was available, Sunderland for example.

And the fact that by selling him on now Spurs would possibly negate future payments to liverpool does not make him more likely to go to Celtic it just makes him only slighlty more likely to move although he most likely wont anyway, especially not if Pavlychenko does.

this is just a Silly rumour and should not be used as an excuse to post about if the SPL is at a poor standard. If this rumour does the rounds again in around 2 years id be more inclined to believe it as Keanes stock will have most likely fallen.

While i tend to agree with you, the one thing that makes me think it may happen is the fact that 'arry has made no secret of he's admiration of Boruc although admittedly Boruc's stock has fallen quite a lot since (hopefully 'arry hasnt noticed) although I think the more likely scenario would be Pav moving north, I remember he was actually linked with Celtic before he's move to Spurs and it would be a perfect chance for him to revive he's career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Nooo I dont think it will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Is there any basis or facts you are privy to that backs up this accusation or is it just another fine example of Irish begrudgery?

His celebrations for one. And as for Irish begrudgery:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Judged on what Harry said today, its not gona happen!
    Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp does not want to sell Robbie Keane but has hinted at changes in his forward line if Manchester City are willing to sell Craig Bellamy.

Keane was said to have orchestrated the secret Christmas party that angered Redknapp and led to a donation to charity from the players involved - but the Spurs boss did not consider taking the captaincy away from the Irishman.

"Robbie is the captain and that wasn't going to change," Redknapp said. "Not a chance, and it never, ever entered my mind, I was never going to change it."

Keane has a healthy return of eight goals this season but Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch have been Redknapp's preferred choice in attack as Spurs have bounced back from defeat at Wolves with consecutive Barclays Premier League wins.

Celtic have also been linked with a move for the 29-year-old but Redknapp said: "I don't want to sell Robbie, there's not too many Robbie Keanes about in the game. He has enthusiasm and knowledge, a lot of things that he brings into the game so he's certainly not a player we'd want to lose.

"He's still a big part, very much so. When we brought him here it coincided with a terrific run we had last year. He came and gave the place a real lift, and it's been the same this year."

Redknapp is not expecting radical changes at White Hart Lane when the January transfer window opens, although Roman Pavlyuchenko and David Bentley want to leave the club to get regular football.

The Spurs boss is a huge admirer of Bellamy and would be interested if the Wales striker became available in an Eastlands shake-up following the appointment of Roberto Mancini.

"He's a good player," Redknapp said. "He belongs to Manchester City, I'm sure they wouldn't want to sell him. I tried to sign him before he went there.

"It's like asking me if I'm interested in Wayne Rooney, of course I love Wayne Rooney, but I won't get him, will I?"

Redknapp will also make a decision on whether to extend Jamie O'Hara's loan spell at Portsmouth, with Avram Grant looking to keep the midfielder at Fratton Park.

"We haven't decided yet," Redknapp said. "I'll speak to the chairman and Portsmouth. He's a great lad and wants to play so we'll wait and see.

"I'm sure he'll want to stay, he's really done a good job for them, had a couple of player-of-the-month awards. He may feel if he comes back he won't play every week so we'll have to wait and see."

Ahead of the Boxing Day trip to Fulham, Redknapp could have Ledley King back from a hamstring problem, while Luka Modric is ready for action after an ankle injury during his comeback from a fractured fibula.

Alan Hutton has a foot problem and fellow right-back Vedran Corluka will need checking after an illness.

Advertisement