Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tactical Nuclear Penguin?

• 22-12-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.brewdog.com/news.php?id=88

I realise how unlikely it is, considering they only made 500 bottles, but I don't suppose anyone's tried it, or seen it available anywhere in Ireland? I am extremely curious to see what it's like.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I very much doubt you'll be seeing it for sale in Ireland. Like Samuel Adams Utopias it's too stupidly priced for me to even consider buying.

Previous TNP thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I would not mind trying it but not bothered in paying the money.

The only reason I had Tokyo* was because a bunch of us including the bar owner chipped in and we had a whiskey measure size each. Good stuff but not worth the money.

TNP is more of an experiment in pushing the limits of the beer making process and a publicity stunt. Both of which worked out perfectly for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tommy666

if anyone knows where i can buy this? or anyone have a bottle for sale ill pay upta 50 euro, its hard to find :(

Buy direct is your best bet.
    Sarky wrote: »
    considering they only made 500 bottles,
    Batch 2 is out, and I believe batch 3 is being distilled in the ice cream factory now. Plenty to go around ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

tommy666 wrote: »
    if anyone knows where i can buy this? or anyone have a bottle for sale ill pay upta 50 euro, its hard to find :(

Looks like you can buy this directly from their site ... it just says in relation to postage "Subject to change if delivery address is outwith the UK."

http://www.brewdog.com/product.php?id=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    Buy direct is your best bet.

Batch 2 is out, and I believe batch 3 is being distilled in the ice cream factory now. Plenty to go around ;)

Savage, what a novel use of an ice cream factory

For them as cares about this "World's Strongest Beer" silliness, BrewDog's new IPA at 41% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

dunno if i would like to try it.....as much as i like beers. How they get it so strong without distilling is what i'd like to know

They don't. It's freeze-distilled. Legally it would be a spirit in Ireland -- everything over 28% ABV is.

freeze distilling......never would have thought of that!! Would that not still make it a spirit as opposed to a beer though?

• Advertisement

It's standard practice in Germany -- "eisbock" is the term used. Aventinus Eisbock is sold here. It's a mere 12% ABV and is definitely a beer. Even the early-1990s trend for "Ice" lagers used freeze-distilling, apparently.

You learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

freeze distilling......never would have thought of that!! Would that not still make it a spirit as opposed to a beer though?

I always argue that point.
    Much as I like Aventinus Eisbock, I'd consider that technically, it is not a beer.
    To my mind for a claim of the strongest beer in the world, the beverage would have to be fermented to its final strength.
    AFAIK Sam Adam's Utopias at 27% is the contender for that dubious title.

I always argue that point.
    Much as I like Aventinus Eisbock, I'd consider that technically, it is not a beer.
    To my mind for a claim of the strongest beer in the world, the beverage would have to be fermented to its final strength.
    AFAIK Sam Adam's Utopias at 27% is the contender for that dubious title.

that's what i'd have thought too...a beer to be a beer would be fermented only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Went to buy a bottle:

Tactical Nuclear ...Details
    Tactical Nuclear Penguin (330ml Bottle Tactical Nuclear Penguin) (inc VAT) £35.00 1 £35.00
    Delivery Charge £40.00 1 £40.00

I've an interview for a job in aberdeen on thursday, I'll be keeping an eye out for it!

The brewery owns The Marischal pub at 17 Gallowgate in the city.

The brewery owns The Marischal pub at 17 Gallowgate in the city.

good man....should have known you'd have soe info!!!!:)

Oh, except it looks like it's not open yet. Sorry.

damn you!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

It's a little late...but I'd a swig of it at the Beer Festival in the pod a few months back. Damn tasty stuff. I actually went looking for it online...and was kinda shocked that it's £40 a bottle. Damn tasty...but...not *that* tasty.

Well...maybe...um...

John

I had it at a beer festival for free and thought it was rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just in case anyone really wants to try this. Drinkstore have it for €59.99

It is also available in Against the Grain on Wexford street but since it is a pub, it is more like €85 I think they said? Good to go in with a load of friends and all chip in. when you are finished wasting your money on TNP you can get down to drinking some more normal Irish and indeed world craft beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For those that are reading this thread, it's now open. Open hours are Mon- Fri 4-12, Sat 12-12, Sun 3-12. I'd actually consider giving this to a mate, but for the price to size, I'd probably get him a bottle of Sheepdip instead.

Advertisement