Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save Bremore campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

OK I've read the article, but if the site is of so much significant importance, just why hasn't it been archaeologically surveyed or marked as a SAC (Special Area of Conservation)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

According to the Yahoo Group -
    Bremore is listed on the Record of Monuments and Places and the Bremore tombs, as monuments of national importance, are protected by a Preservation Order (No. 22/76)

While the "Save Bremore" campaign is great would it not be better to have a campaign against building a new deep water port on behalf of the Drogheda Port Company? The risk with a "save X area" campaign is that it could end up head to head against similar campaigns such as "Save Gormanston" or "Save Julianstown" etc, etc.

Note - I have a conflict on this topic so I can't be involved with any campaigns for/against the proposed Port.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Nodster wrote: »
    OK I've read the article, but if the site is of so much significant importance, just why hasn't it been archaeologically surveyed or marked as a SAC (Special Area of Conservation)?
    There was an archaeology survey in 1840 and surveys in the 1960s.

Why would the Government mark is an SAC? If they do then a port can never be built there, Dublin port can never be moved (even though it's not on the agenda at the moment) and the Government can't make money from the development of the Dublin port site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it really is extradinary that no modern survey has been done on this site, and now industrial archaelogists/grave robbers are going to get their hands on it, rather then proper non invasive techniques.

Advertisement