Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to learn Russian!

Options
  • 22-12-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I really want to learn russian as its been an ambition of mine for a long time. Does anyone know anywhere in Cork I could get lessons?

Also, if anyone has experience with Rosetta Stone. How good is it? Im thinking of doing the online program, could anyone tell me if its as good as the individual level bundles?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm doing the Pimsleur Russian course at the moment. I find it brilliant. Hated how slow moving it was at the start, but realised eventually that it's good because the constant repitition was making me remember.

I've also tried a Teach Yourself, which I wasn't so gone on, but everyone has a different learning style. My advice wuld be to go to a good library and try a few different methods. I've no experience with Rosetta Stone except for trying the online trial and deciding it's not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Anton.Mamyko

Hi all,
    I really want to learn russian as its been an ambition of mine for a long time. Does anyone know anywhere in Cork I could get lessons?

Also, if anyone has experience with Rosetta Stone. How good is it? Im thinking of doing the online program, could anyone tell me if its as good as the individual level bundles?

Thanks

Good luck with it, I wouldn't touch the Russian language unless I grew up there. It's much harder than English

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Good luck with it, I wouldn't touch the Russian language unless I grew up there. It's much harder than English

I really don't think so. Having learned Irish for 14 years, Russian isn't too bad for an Irish person. The way you have different words for things like me in the context - for example - 'to me' 'on me' 'with me' is in Irish too.

Also, it's very easy from word endings to tell if something is male or female. That's why I could never hack German, never had a clue.

I may never be fluent in Russian, but I believe I can get to a level where I can converse with my Russian buddies.

Advertisement