Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catalunya v Argentina - Camp Nou - 7:30pm

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

redout wrote: »
    Like who ?

Raul is past it as is Guti. Torres definitely. Granero is unproven. De la Red is a walking heart attack. Casillas yes.

Ok I'll agree Raul and Guti are past there best, no doubt, but yes I still think nearly any national team in the world would be happy to have them in the squad.
    Granero is unproven and whether or not he makes it at Real he will certainly make it at a reasonably high level, personally I think he can make it at Real or another top side.

Ok so we start anyway with arguably the Best Goal Keeper and Striker in the World Casillas, and Fernando Torres.

Will we agree Negrado has a bright future ahead of him? I certainly think he will anyway and would happily include him.

After that I guess I probably do run out of top class players, however I'm sure there would be a decent side to put out.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Think about it. How many players at Real are worthy of the Spain team?

I didn't mean Real Madrid I meant the Madrid City and Region as that's what we're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Slash/ED wrote: »

Also David Villa is Basque, isn't he?

It certainly isn't a Basque name, they usually include an "X" somewhere.

And yes, he's Asturian, northern Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Think about it. How many players at Real are worthy of the Spain team?

Prior to this season the past several years they only had 2.

Sergio Ramos and Casillas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bigtime. Abit off topic but check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euskadi_Ta_Askatasuna

Basque terrorists, have links with the IRA and everything. Extort money from Basque players.

ETA are well known and their links to the IRA are well documented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

ETA are well known and their links to the IRA are well documented.

Gives ya an idea of the tensions between regions so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

mayordenis wrote: »
    I didn't mean Real Madrid I meant the Madrid City and Region as that's what we're talking about.

Even then, I can only think of Torres, Casillas and Ramos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Des wrote: »
    It certainly isn't a Basque name, they usually include an "X" somewhere.

And yes, he's Asturian, northern Spain
    I've learned two things off you today :p the other being the history of San Marino

Ok I'll agree Raul and Guti are past there best, no doubt, but yes I still think nearly any national team in the world would be happy to have them in the squad.
    Granero is unproven and whether or not he makes it at Real he will certainly make it at a reasonably high level, personally I think he can make it at Real or another top side.

Ok so we start anyway with arguably the Best Goal Keeper and Striker in the World Casillas, and Fernando Torres.

Will we agree Negrado has a bright future ahead of him? I certainly think he will anyway and would happily include him.

After that I guess I probably do run out of top class players, however I'm sure there would be a decent side to put out.

Negredo had an impressive season last year for Almeria though he hast replicated that with Sevilla this year. More competition perhaps with Kanoute and Fabiano. He wasnt highly enough thought of by Real though to just excercise their buy back clause then immediately sell him on.

• Advertisement

Even then, I can only think of Torres, Casillas and Ramos.

Ramos is from Andalucia.

Gives ya an idea of the tensions between regions so.

With good reason imo, The Basques have never had a homeland, they are a completely different people to the French, or the Spanish.

The Catalunans are a bit different, being descendants of Roman culture, speaking a Latin Language (French, Italian, spanish, Catalan etc...) etc etc

The Basque Language/Culture/People are different to this.

In fact, The Basques share more genetic code with Irish people than Spanish or French, and it is thought that the very first inhabitants of this island came from The Basque country.

I saw a show once which showed a small village somewhere in the Basque country, the aulfellas might as well have been in a pub in rural roscommon the heads on them

Look, Super Nintendo Chalmers, I'm Learnding!

With good reason imo, The Basques have never had a homeland, they are a completely different people to the French, or the Spanish.

The Catalunans are a bit different, being descendants of Roman culture, speaking a Latin Language (French, Italian, spanish, Catalan etc...) etc etc

The Basque Language/Culture/People are different to this.

In fact, The Basques share more genetic code with Irish people than Spanish or French, and it is thought that the very first inhabitants of this island came from The Basque country.

I saw a show once which showed a small village somewhere in the Basque country, the aulfellas might as well have been in a pub in rural roscommon the heads on them

I saw a similar show and it was somewhere in the Basque country where the village is all red heads nearly, was really interesting.

Something about it here:
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091209161332AAJnkAq

Has anyone found this on the telly? I dont like watching matches on the computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Catalunya and Euskadi are denied enterance to FIFA and UEFA for two reasons, A) Spain and France wouldn't stand for it. Castillians aren't hugely positive about Basque nationalism and the French have an even dimmer view of it. Imanol Harinordiquy used to have a Basque flag on his glove playing rugby, i'm sure that caused a stir.

B) They span two countries. It's not a matter of being under a single authority i.e. the UK with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland etc..

What's the new Basque jersey like? I'd like to pick it up.

• Advertisement

Remember the team that Zara had that got relagated?

Sergio Garcia, Milito, Oliveira, Aimar, etc... Was mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ya I've seen their players :p I meant politically how independent are they and is there much chance of them getting their own national team for world cups etc.?

they're very similar to scotland within the UK, they have control over their own health system and education. unlike scotland though, they probably would be able to support themselves if they got independence.

I saw a similar show and it was somewhere in the Basque country where the village is all red heads nearly, was really interesting.

Something about it here:
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091209161332AAJnkAq

Are you sure? Red hair is an indo-european trait, not a Basque and original Irish one. I think Galicia has lots of redheads.

Morf wrote: »
    Catalunya and Euskadi are denied enterance to FIFA and UEFA for two reasons, A) Spain and France wouldn't stand for it. Castillians aren't hugely positive about Basque nationalism and the French have an even dimmer view of it. Imanol Harinordiquy used to have a Basque flag on his glove playing rugby, i'm sure that caused a stir.

B) They span two countries. It's not a matter of being under a single authority i.e. the UK with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland etc..

What's the new Basque jersey like? I'd like to pick it up.

There was a French guy on the radio about the rugby match against Perpignan and he said the people there don't like French clubs, they only support Barca as they are also Catalan.

Are the Basque Country playing tonight too?

• Advertisement

nope

Goal...........

2 - 0

Bojan

Bojan doubles the lead

possibly the worst defending I've ever seen

Are the Basque Country playing tonight too?

Nope, but this thread spawned some interesting conversation. :) Wish eze was online, he's half Spanish :p

Interesting about Perpignan there too, seems Catalunya spans into France too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Bloody hell, good goal. Poor defending.

Nope, but this thread spawned some interesting conversation. :) Wish eze was online, he's half Spanish :p

Interesting about Perpignan there too, seems Catalunya spans into France too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Catalonia

Do you reckon Xabi Alonso would be released, Arteta would make a miraculous come back from injury and Ivan Campo would come out of retirement if they were?

A bit disappointed that Sky score centre don't even recognise that this match is happening.

Actually yes that's something that would cause a lot of consternation,
    Madrid based players leaving to play for either the Basque County or Catalonia, no catalans in Real at the moment but don't know how Real's faithful would take to Alonso leaving Spain for the Basques.

The area around Valencia speak a language almost identical to Catalan.

Or at least i read that on the internet once . . .

• Advertisement

Goal...........

2 - 1

Cracker

Actually yes that's something that would cause a lot of consternation,
    Madrid based players leaving to play for either the Basque County or Catalonia, no catalans in Real at the moment but don't know how Real's faithful would take to Alonso leaving Spain for the Basques.

My strong wish is that he'll play a season or two with Bilbao or Sociedad before he retires.

The area around Valencia speak a language almost identical to Catalan.

Or at least i read that on the internet once . . .

like, this evening? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

That was quite special alright.

argentina pull one back

My strong wish is that he'll play a season or two with Bilbao or Sociedad before he retires.

I'd wonder about how the Basque sides and fans would feel about him after moving to madrid.

like, this evening? :p

No, but the real story is far less interesting that pretending i did in fact just spotted it on wikipedia.

I'd wonder about how the Basque sides and fans would feel about him after moving to madrid.

He's one of their own. He was too big for Sociedad. I think they'd welcome him back with open arms.

Peno

• Advertisement

Goal............

3 - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I guess the best Spain team minus Basque / Catalonia at the moment would be: Casillas; Ramos, Abidol, Arbeloa; Alonso, Iniesta, Senna, Silva; Villa, Torres + 1 other defender .... ?

EDIT/ Actually, no Alonso.

Goal...........

3 - 2

IMMEDIATE REPLY FROM THE ARGIES

Is there any matches on telly over the next few days? I dont think I'll survive the next four days with nothing else to do :P

redout wrote: »
    Goal...........

3 - 2

IMMEDIATE REPLY FROM THE ARGIES
    It's been a good game alright

Vokes wrote: »
    I guess the best Spain team minus Basque / Catalonia at the moment would be: Casillas; Ramos, Abidol, Arbeloa; Alonso, Iniesta, Senna, Silva; Villa, Torres + 1 other defender .... ?

Xabi Alonso is a Basque

• Advertisement

Minus Alonso.

EDIT/ Actually, no Alonso.

you mean Abidal in defence? He's french.

4-2 now

Goal...........

4 - 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

yep I've been wiki'ing up on all this too :pac:

an interesting bit of world football I knew nothing of until about a week ago.

the basque side is basically Bilbao and Sociedad? not quite the talent of Barcelona but a decent side with a good amount of class, I think the Basque side would have more up top than Catalonia.

Osassuna is in Pamplona and so is also a part of the Basque country. If Biarritz had a top flight football team they would be part of it to

you mean Abidal in defence? He's french.

Think he means Albiol from Real Madrid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement